ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Current IT job market in UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

durak
Newly Registered

Re: picking up?

Post by durak » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:15 pm

dima wrote: Hi...
How is SAP CRM market now in the UK?( I am a SAP -Technical)
I am planning for a training in CRM it...Pls suggest.
I am planning for an Online training for 50 days . The person who will be training us is from India.Is it worth taking?
SAP is dead in Europe currently. No idea why. A few of the big SAP consultancies recently let go over 50% of their staff.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: picking up?

Post by Wanderer » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:05 pm

durak wrote:
dima wrote: Hi...
How is SAP CRM market now in the UK?( I am a SAP -Technical)
I am planning for a training in CRM it...Pls suggest.
I am planning for an Online training for 50 days . The person who will be training us is from India.Is it worth taking?
SAP is dead in Europe currently. No idea why. A few of the big SAP consultancies recently let go over 50% of their staff.
Ты руÑ
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:15 pm

Ð

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:23 pm

[quote="Vanadil"]Ð

nm
Member of Standing

Post by nm » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:25 am

Hi

Currently am in UK and working for a client and looking out to change the job here. how the market now for Datawarehousing.?

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:31 am

nm wrote:Hi

Currently am in UK and working for a client and looking out to change the job here. how the market now for Datawarehousing.?
DWH is better than many other technologies. But overall market is still recovering.

nm
Member of Standing

Post by nm » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:27 pm

chetanojha wrote:
nm wrote:Hi

DWH is better than many other technologies. But overall market is still recovering.
Thanks mate,

I just looking out the market sitting in the backseat... :lol:

sujyo

Post by sujyo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:55 pm

anyone in Non Functional Testing pl PM me..non functional tester postion on contract available

ers_vijay
Newly Registered

Post by ers_vijay » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi,

I am a Java/JEE pro, was working for a bank in London for 1.5 yrs, was hit by the recession, moved back to India Dec 2009 (after trying hard for 2 months without getting any interview calls). Currently working for a Indian Co.

I m watching the job market sitn in UK for the past 1 yr and started getting some enquiries from couple of consultants from UK for the past 2 months or so. My dilemma is this.. I am getting a decent salary in India for 7+ yrs exp. But I always thought of coming back to UK, as I have still 2 yrs of Tier1 Visa validity.

Can someone from this thread throw some light on current job market situation as a whole and for Java/JEE/Spring/Hibernate in particular? I am planning to come to UK for job search in the month March (quitting my current job in India).

Thanks in advance.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi Vijay,

Market overall is better than 2008 and slowly picking up.
Regarding J2EE, Spring etc or anything to do with Services well, there is a market but not very sure what's available at the moment.
There are many Indian Service Providers so a big chunk of the market is in their hands. Maybe you could try joining such companies and then get an onsite role as you have the Tier 1. Once here, with a job in hand, you can slowly test the water here on your own time without any tension. The Indian market is going good guns so you should definitely think of this route to coming here.

Regarding roles, there are openings for developers and designers but these are usually junior roles and you may not appreciate the work and pay given your 7yrs experience. There are also senior technical roles such as design/system architects, design analysts, systems analyst, technical consultants etc but that depends on quality experience and there is stiff competition for such roles.

I would NOT advice quitting a good job and coming here but then that's a personal choice. If you have solid technical experience, dont mind taking any job at any level to start things off then yes you can try it out.

Average pay for developers range from £24k right upto £40k - these are average pay scales and based on the location. Since plain vanilla technical J2EE skills are not considered a niche skill any longer, landing a good paying role is all down to your specific exposure/experience, domain knowledge, timing and luck. Senior roles can fetch you anywhere from £36k to £60k with similar conditions as mentioned above. You need to be patient here as securing a role can take anywhere between 15 days for urgent roles upto 3 to 4 months or longer otherwise

Cheers
KP

nm
Member of Standing

Post by nm » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:03 am

Well said KP..Thanks for sharing such nice view..

ers_vijay
Newly Registered

Post by ers_vijay » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks KP for giving me the exact feel of the current situation. I will wait and watch another month before I take any decision.

regards,
vijay

nm
Member of Standing

Post by nm » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:10 pm

BTW,in which technology are you looking.?

ers_vijay
Newly Registered

Post by ers_vijay » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:08 pm

nm wrote:BTW,in which technology are you looking.?
nm, I presume that you are asking me. I am looking at Java/JEE server side technologies like struts/hibernate/spring etc.

I do have around 1.5 years of UK experience with a top bank doing support. So I am looking at both dev/support role.

Thanks,
Vijay

Sandy0103
Newly Registered

Post by Sandy0103 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:58 am

Hi,

I am also currently working in INDIA with General Tier 1 Visa. And I have planned to visit UK for a month without resigning. I have two queries

1. My skill set is C,C++, Windows and UNIX. Since its kind of legacy technology. Can anyone confirm me the current job availability for the specified skill set?

2. Is it possible to apply for UK jobs from India? If yes, whats the format we should submit. I registered with ukjobseekers, I posted resume three months back. I am NOT getting a single call. What am i missing and what I should do?

Thanks,
Sandy

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:16 am

Sandy0103 wrote: I am also currently working in INDIA with General Tier 1 Visa. And I have planned to visit UK for a month without resigning. I have two queries

1. My skill set is C,C++, Windows and UNIX. Since its kind of legacy technology. Can anyone confirm me the current job availability for the specified skill set?

2. Is it possible to apply for UK jobs from India? If yes, whats the format we should submit. I registered with ukjobseekers, I posted resume three months back. I am NOT getting a single call. What am i missing and what I should do?

Thanks,
Sandy
Best way is start applying from there, and tell employers/agents that you are ready to come to UK , once interview is arranged. Don't come here without arranging atleast 2 face to face interviews.

And you doing right thing by not resigning from your current job.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:21 pm

Sandy0103 wrote:Hi,

I am also currently working in INDIA with General Tier 1 Visa. And I have planned to visit UK for a month without resigning. I have two queries

Thanks,
Sandy
I agree with what Gotcha adviced to not resign and try for jobs from india..

Please looks into some of the common website like:

monster,
www.cwjobs.co.uk
www.jobserver.com
totaljobs,
itjobboards,
http://www.hays.com/
http://www.elanit.co.uk/
http://www.thesapjobboard.com/, [dedicated SAP website]

hope it helps

ers_vijay
Newly Registered

Post by ers_vijay » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:48 am

Hi..

How is the job market now especially after the news of
1. UK out of recession only marginally
2. Obama's speech on curbing risky trades in the banks

I am currently searching & applying for jobs from India. Apart from few Indian companies which showed interest in my resume and promised for interviews in the coming weeks, I am not seeing much positive responses.

Regards,
Vijay

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:55 am

ers_vijay wrote:Hi..

How is the job market now especially after the news of
1. UK out of recession only marginally
2. Obama's speech on curbing risky trades in the banks

I am currently searching & applying for jobs from India. Apart from few Indian companies which showed interest in my resume and promised for interviews in the coming weeks, I am not seeing much positive responses.

Regards,
Vijay
1. Exactly the same as it was.

2. Obama Bin Laden made a speech about banking?

Give it another 12/18 months

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:25 am

Wanderer wrote:

1. Exactly the same as it was.

2. Obama Bin Laden made a speech about banking?

Give it another 12/18 months
Hehe not a fan of Obama? I was thrilled but now I'm annoyed. He's too full of himself and Britain made way too big of a deal about him becoming president. Couldn't watch any news for about a month here. It was just the same repeat footage of people screaming and confetti.
I tell it like it is.