ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Refrence for naturalisation from a UK citizen living abroad?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Kotiara

Refrence for naturalisation from a UK citizen living abroad?

Post by Kotiara » Thu May 13, 2010 7:16 pm

Can I get a reference for naturalisation from somebody who lives abroad but is a UK citizen? He is visiting the UK at the moment, but will be back to his current country of residence at the time I apply for citizenship.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu May 13, 2010 10:59 pm

doesnt seem like a good idea. what if UKBA wants to ring him to ask about you? This person lives abroad, and then making a statement about your character. Doesnt sound like a credible reference in any sense.

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Fri May 14, 2010 5:25 am

mrlookforward wrote:doesnt seem like a good idea. what if UKBA wants to ring him to ask about you? This person lives abroad, and then making a statement about your character. Doesnt sound like a credible reference in any sense.
I dont know the answer, but I find your logic twisted. So what you are saying is that people who have known me all my life (old school friends who I have kept in touch over the years, uncles, aunts, etc) but don't live in the UK are not credible references, just because they don't live in the UK? What about a reference from someone who lives in London, but I live in Aberdeen? Is that distance too much?

Ray

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Fri May 14, 2010 8:04 am

raymasa2 wrote:
mrlookforward wrote:doesnt seem like a good idea. what if UKBA wants to ring him to ask about you? This person lives abroad, and then making a statement about your character. Doesnt sound like a credible reference in any sense.
I dont know the answer, but I find your logic twisted. So what you are saying is that people who have known me all my life (old school friends who I have kept in touch over the years, uncles, aunts, etc) but don't live in the UK are not credible references, just because they don't live in the UK? What about a reference from someone who lives in London, but I live in Aberdeen? Is that distance too much?

Ray
They would not be credible references if they have had limited contact with you over the last three years which would be much more likely if they live abroad. Picking someone who has lived for the last 3 years at the opposite end of the country to you is not a good idea too.

Just bear in mind that your application may be held up (or possibly refused I guess) if the BIA is unhappy with your choice of referees or cannot contact them if they wish to.

So it doesn't sound like a good idea to me either.

senthil78
Member of Standing

Post by senthil78 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:22 pm

Ray[/quote]

Picking someone who has lived for the last 3 years at the opposite end of the country to you is not a good idea too.[/quote]

The referee should know the applicant atleast minimum 3 years, I think that it is not necessary to be last 3 years. It could be anytime.
Last edited by senthil78 on Fri May 14, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Fri May 14, 2010 12:25 pm

raymasa2 wrote:

Ray
Uncle, aunts or other relatives cant be references even if they were in UK.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:11 pm

senthil78 wrote:Ray
Picking someone who has lived for the last 3 years at the opposite end of the country to you is not a good idea too.[/quote]

The referee should know the applicant atleast minimum 3 years, I think that it is not necessary to be last 3 years. It could be anytime.[/quote]

it has to be for recent years otherwise it's a waste of time as people can change.

senthil78
Member of Standing

Post by senthil78 » Fri May 14, 2010 4:35 pm

djb123 wrote:
senthil78 wrote:Ray
Picking someone who has lived for the last 3 years at the opposite end of the country to you is not a good idea too.
The referee should know the applicant atleast minimum 3 years, I think that it is not necessary to be last 3 years. It could be anytime.[/quote]

it has to be for recent years otherwise it's a waste of time as people can change.[/quote]

Yes I agree, but it is not the requirement by HO.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sat May 15, 2010 6:18 am

senthil78 wrote:Yes I agree, but it is not the requirement by HO.
I think you find it is. I can see why you could try to argue that "they have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years" could mean that the referee knew the applicant well for a period of three years, just not the last three years, but as you admit it doesn't make sense.