ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

indian passport for a child born in UK...

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

pandula
Newly Registered

indian passport for a child born in UK...

Post by pandula » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:30 pm

hello....Me and my husband are Perminent residence(PR) Holders in UK..We recently blessed with a baby boy...And we applied for indian passport for my child By POST..as we are indian passport holders. its been one month,but we dint get any response from High Commission of India, London .usually how long will it take for the issue of new passport.How can i know the status of my kid's passport .Please Help me ...

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:52 pm

They may not issue an Indian passport if child is British.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

pandula
Newly Registered

oh nooo

Post by pandula » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:14 pm

he is born here...but we are indians and want an indian passport for the child too...HCIL is there to isssue such passports i think...how could you say that he will not be eligible..pls make it clear

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:51 am

India does not recognise dual citizenship and therefore if your child was born in the UK after you obtained ilr he is automatically British and therefore the Indian high commission may not be willing to issue the child a passport.

pandula
Newly Registered

please tell me the exact solution

Post by pandula » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:07 am

I am planning to go india...then what is the solution...v already sent passport application to HCIL ..whom do i call to know the facts...

Greenie
Respected Guru

Re: please tell me the exact solution

Post by Greenie » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:41 am

pandula wrote:I am planning to go india...then what is the solution...v already sent passport application to HCIL ..whom do i call to know the facts...
you are asking this question the general UK immigration section of the forum - perhaps post it in the other countries section or seek advice from an Indian legal advisor?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:45 pm

Topic moved.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:22 pm

If your child was born in the UK after you got your ILR (or PR), HCI will not issue an Indian Passport to him (your application will get rejected and returned back to you) as he is a British Citizen. Since you and/or your wife still have Indian passports, apply for an OCI for your child (after you get him a British Passport). He will then be able to live and work (not in a govt job) in India without any time limits or restricitons. He will also not be eligible to vote in India (this might get changed), buy agricultural land and will have to pay NRI fees at college.

Details on how to apply for OCI is on the HCI website.

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:49 pm

Correction - OCI cannot be applied for unless one of the parents is eligible for OCI as well. PIO card or visa will be the options if you wish to travel to India after baby gets British passport.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:17 am

PG1983 wrote:Correction - OCI cannot be applied for unless one of the parents is eligible for OCI as well. PIO card or visa will be the options if you wish to travel to India after baby gets British passport.
Parents can submit any documentary evidence like a passport, school certificate, land ownership certificate, birth certificate etc. to prove their eligibility and apply for an OCI for their minor child.

Source - OCI FAQ Question 8 and 9

http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/oci-faq.pdf

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:27 pm

Please see topic below. For a minor child to be eligible for OCI, one of the parents must be a foreign citizen and eligible for OCI. I don't think the rules have changed recently. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 08ed97afad

siddhant4u
Newly Registered

Post by siddhant4u » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:27 pm

krazydude wrote:If your child was born in the UK after you got your ILR (or PR), HCI will not issue an Indian Passport to him
Does this mean there is no way he/she can get Indian Citizenship? Shouldn't we get some option to get the child registered as Indian Citizen?

Regards,

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:21 pm

I don't know your individual circumstances, but if the baby was born after you or your wife have got ILR, and in the UK, then you will have to get an affidavit from the Home Office to say that British Citizenship has not been applied for. I think that HCI will then accept the application.

I think there might be some similar cases in this forum otherwise please wait for Gurus to advise further.

siddhant4u
Newly Registered

Post by siddhant4u » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:47 pm

Got some information from here -

http://hcilondon.in/passport.php

2) For a child to be given an Indian passport, the birth must be registered with the Consular Section of the High Commission within one year of birth. Please see the link http://www.hcilondon.in/counslateservice1.php for details;

and

11) In case more than one year has elapsed since the birth of child or one of the parents hold British nationality, then a letter from the British Home Office stating that the child has not acquired British nationality would be required.

nothing else..

siddhant4u
Newly Registered

Post by siddhant4u » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:27 pm

siddhant4u wrote:Got some information from here -

2) For a child to be given an Indian passport, the birth must be registered with the Consular Section of the High Commission within one year of birth. Please see the link http://www.hcilondon.in/counslateservice1.php for details;

and

11) In case more than one year has elapsed since the birth of child or one of the parents hold British nationality, then a letter from the British Home Office stating that the child has not acquired British nationality would be required.

nothing else..
to further follow-up with this issue - I dropped an email to HCI London and got below response -

"We thank you for the query.

YOU CAN APPLY FOR CHILD INDIAN PASSPORT

We need the application form (downloadable from the website www.hcilondon.in), 4 photos (35mmx45mm with white/grey background), full version of birth certificate, original passports and copies of passports of both parents (first page, last page and visa sheet page), and fee £19 and fee £17 towards passport and registration respectively.
Your both signatures on the application should match with your passport signatures.
Your both names on passports to match with the child’s Birth Certificate. You need to register the child and then apply for passport and you can do it on same day.

Normal processing time 3-4 weeks."

ukmigrant2011

Post by ukmigrant2011 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:48 am

siddhant4u wrote:
siddhant4u wrote:Got some information from here -

and

nothing else..
to further follow-up with this issue - I dropped an email to HCI London and got below response -

"We thank you for the query.

YOU CAN APPLY FOR CHILD INDIAN PASSPORT

We need the application form (downloadable from the website www.hcilondon.in), 4 photos (35mmx45mm with white/grey background), full version of birth certificate, original passports and copies of passports of both parents (first page, last page and visa sheet page), and fee £19 and fee £17 towards passport and registration respectively.
Your both signatures on the application should match with your passport signatures.
Your both names on passports to match with the child’s Birth Certificate. You need to register the child and then apply for passport and you can do it on same day.

Normal processing time 3-4 weeks."
Hi What happened after this ? Did the baby get Indian Passport ? appreciate any updates on this ?

eashkuma4
India

Children born in the UK for ILR Parents, What Visa to apply

Post by eashkuma4 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:16 pm

Dear Members,

I and my wife have ILR and had a baby is born after we having ILR, we applied Indian Passport and have received it in the UK.

When we went to apply for UK Visa, the Home Office told they cannot issue a visa as he is born after we having ILR and have to either apply Right of Abode or Citizenship.

Can any one please help how to apply for Right to Abode or ceritificate of entitlement?

Many thanks in advance
Kumar

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:00 pm

kv1234
Newly Registered

Re: Children born in the UK for ILR Parents, What Visa to ap

Post by kv1234 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:14 pm

eashkuma4 wrote:Dear Members,

I and my wife have ILR and had a baby is born after we having ILR, we applied Indian Passport and have received it in the UK.

When we went to apply for UK Visa, the Home Office told they cannot issue a visa as he is born after we having ILR and have to either apply Right of Abode or Citizenship.

Can any one please help how to apply for Right to Abode or ceritificate of entitlement?

Many thanks in advance
Kumar
Kumar,

Sorry to bother you with lot of questions, but I need these details asap before I decide if I have to apply for Indian Passport or British Passport for my kid?

Can you please let me know how did you proceed once you got the Indian Passport? If you have applied for Right of Abode, then can you please let me know what is that in brief? Once you applied for right of abode, did you then applied for ILR for your kid on the Indian Passport? If so, altogether how many days did it take?

kv1234
Newly Registered

Re: please tell me the exact solution

Post by kv1234 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:19 pm

pandula wrote:I am planning to go india...then what is the solution...v already sent passport application to HCIL ..whom do i call to know the facts...
Pandula,

Sorry to bother you after a long time on your post!

Did you get the Indian Passport? Did you then applied for ILR? What happened next? Please advise asap as I need to decide if I have to go for Indian Passport/ILR or British Passport for my kid?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:22 pm

why don't you create a new thread and post your questions?

eashkuma4
India

Right of abode

Post by eashkuma4 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:23 am

Sorry, didnt see the message

Yes, we got Indian Passport and took right of abode, it took 2 weeks to get that visa and application is straight forward

rrp

Post by rrp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi pandula/siddhant4u/eashkuma4,

I am in the same situation as yours. I and my wife both have ILR and our baby is due to be born on January. I understand that the baby is elligible to take Indian citizenship and COE-ROA. However I have few more questions, hope someone can clarify.

1) If in future one of the parent take British citizenship will the baby cease to be a citizen of India?

2) What will be the child nationality after taking COE-ROA? Will it be Indian, British or both?

3) Will there be any difference between Indian citizenship - by birth to Indian citizenship -by descent and having COE ROA?

Thanks.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:41 pm

rrp wrote:Hi pandula/siddhant4u/eashkuma4,

I am in the same situation as yours. I and my wife both have ILR and our baby is due to be born on January. I understand that the baby is elligible to take Indian citizenship and COE-ROA. However I have few more questions, hope someone can clarify.

1) If in future one of the parent take British citizenship will the baby cease to be a citizen of India?

discussed in the other thread and i'll leave others to comment

2) What will be the child nationality after taking COE-ROA? Will it be Indian, British or both?

UK will treat the child as dual national - British and Indian; everyone else will treat as Indian e.g. schengen visa will be required for travel to Europe

3) Will there be any difference between Indian citizenship - by birth to Indian citizenship -by descent and having COE ROA?
Not until the child attains full age

Thanks.

rrp

Post by rrp » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Thank you very much. For point 3 what will be the difference once the child attains full age. Also I beleive the child can take British passport anytime after getting COE-RBA. Please advise.

Dear all - any suggestion for point -1.