ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Annual days allowed to stay for UK family visitor visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

anuptosh
Newly Registered

Annual days allowed to stay for UK family visitor visa

Post by anuptosh » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:26 pm

Hi ,

My mother came to UK on a 6 month family visitor visa in Aug 2010 and went back to India in Feb 2012 , she stayed for almost 5 months with me in UK.

I am planning to re-apply family visitor visa for her in end of Feb 2012 for a 6 month or a 1 year visa. I wish her to be here to attend my son's 1st birthday in March.

I have two questions here :

1. Can i re-apply for visa for her. I heard from someone that the total length of stay cannot be more than 6 months in one year. Also , this one year - is it from the 1st visa start date or 12 calendar months.

2. The first visa applied was for 6 months. Can i apply for 12 months visa this time. I hope it does not get into rejection stage.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

anuptosh

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:54 pm

Long term visit visas, given by discretion to regular visitors, offer the convenience of not having to continually re-apply for a new visa every time they wish to enter the UK; they do not grant a visitor permission to remain more than six months. She can visit for six out of twelve months (single continuous six month period or aggregated multiple periods amounting to a total of six months) in the annual cycle that began on her initial entry. If she applies now having recently spent five months in the UK (you say she has just left in Feb 2012) there is a very real chance that her visa will be refused unless she can show the valid reason for returning as a genuine visitor so soon after a long visit and the length of time she wishes to spend further. It's not permitted to effectively live and reside in the UK on a visit immigration category by taking only short trips outside the UK.

If Feb 2012 is a typo and you mean Feb last year then she will have no problems getting a new visa now but the long-term version may not be issued to her as she has not been a regular traveller to date. If it is, the six months out of twelve rules will still apply.

anuptosh
Newly Registered

Post by anuptosh » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:10 am

Thanks for the information.

Sorry, Correction - My mother came to UK on a 6 month family visitor visa in Aug 2011 and went back to India in Feb 2012 , she stayed for almost 5 months with me in UK.

Another Correction is that i have mistakenly opened this in British Citizenship which is not correct. Moderators, can you move to relevant forum if this is a problem.

Lucapooka,

Just to confirm that you have mentioned that there is a rule for only visiting up to six months out of 12 months in the annual cycle. Can you provide me a link for this rule. I tried looking for it but probably have missed it somewhere.

If there is no such rule, I understand that the risk of rejection is higher if i apply in immediate future as she has just stayed here for more than 5 months.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:15 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

anuptosh
Newly Registered

Post by anuptosh » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Thx. But this link is for general visitors. My mother has come on a family visitor. Does someone have a link for family visitor.

I could only find one reference - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... 2/#header3 but then could not find a link or explanation for - FAMILY VISIT LTE 6 months Code 3. Can someone provide this link .

Also, what does CODE 3 mean

anuptosh
Newly Registered

Post by anuptosh » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:16 pm

Also , as per the link above , it is quite clear that the appellant has spent more than 6 months out of 12 months.

http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKUT/IAC ... ghana.html

Some extracts from the link -

Home Office records indicate you have travelled to the UK for the same reason in October 2007, July 2008 and February 2009 each time for a period of six months.

Your passport and your statement at Gatwick to the Immigration Officer demonstrate you have been in the UK between 6 July 2008 and 4 January 2009 and between 22 February 2009 and 22 August 2009. Since July 2008 you have been in the UK for two days short of twelve months.

They clearly mean that the appelant has visited for more than 6 months ( actually 12 months ) in a period span between 6th July 2008 and 22nd August 2009 ( 13.5 months ).

If there is a RULE for this, why was the appelant allowed to visit UK in the first place for almost 12 months spanning a period of 13.5 months.

Markie

Post by Markie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:06 pm

anuptosh wrote:Thx. But this link is for general visitors. My mother has come on a family visitor. Does someone have a link for family visitor.

I could only find one reference - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... 2/#header3 but then could not find a link or explanation for - FAMILY VISIT LTE 6 months Code 3. Can someone provide this link .

Also, what does CODE 3 mean
My friend, a family visitor is a type of 'general visitor' and would be governed by paragraphs 41-46 of the Immigration Rules or as general visitor.

anuptosh
Newly Registered

Post by anuptosh » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Can some one reply to my post wherein i have asked - If there is a RULE for this, why was the appelant allowed to visit UK in the first place for almost 12 months spanning a period of 13.5 months.

Can you please advise me of the direct link for such a rule.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:08 pm

anuptosh wrote:Can some one reply to my post wherein i have asked - If there is a RULE for this, why was the appelant allowed to visit UK in the first place for almost 12 months spanning a period of 13.5 months.

Can you please advise me of the direct link for such a rule.
it is not in the rules- it is in the entry clearance guidance, a link for which Vinny has already provided you above.