ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa-free EU travel for unmarried partner

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rlobo
Newly Registered

Visa-free EU travel for unmarried partner

Post by rlobo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:47 am

Hey everybody! Apologies if this query has been posted before, but I was unable to find concrete information. If any of you do know,please post relevant links, thanks!

The details:
1. I am an Indian national, living in the UK with my long term 'durable relationship' Dutch partner.
2. I have 'Residence card of a Family Member of an EEA national' stamped on my passport by the UKBA.
3. IMP: I am an UNmarried partner, NOT same-gender; no marriage cert or CP cert.

My travel has been greatly restricted so far due to visa requirements, but now that I have the residence card, hoping to see if it works.(':roll:')

My query: Since we are unmarried partners, we have no marriage cert, so what documents could I provide as evidence for proving family ties with my partner? Apart from a joint bank account -which I do have, but afraid it wont be sufficient.

Any suggestions on what other documents I might have to carry with me to show to the airlines and border guards?

Regards,
Resh

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: Visa-free EU travel for unmarried partner

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:02 pm

rlobo wrote:Hey everybody! Apologies if this query has been posted before, but I was unable to find concrete information. If any of you do know,please post relevant links, thanks!

The details:
1. I am an Indian national, living in the UK with my long term 'durable relationship' Dutch partner.
2. I have 'Residence card of a Family Member of an EEA national' stamped on my passport by the UKBA.
3. IMP: I am an UNmarried partner, NOT same-gender; no marriage cert or CP cert.

My travel has been greatly restricted so far due to visa requirements, but now that I have the residence card, hoping to see if it works.(':roll:')

My query: Since we are unmarried partners, we have no marriage cert, so what documents could I provide as evidence for proving family ties with my partner? Apart from a joint bank account -which I do have, but afraid it wont be sufficient.

Any suggestions on what other documents I might have to carry with me to show to the airlines and border guards?

Regards,
Resh
Your residence card, now that it is issued, should be sufficient for travel as long as you are joining or accompanying your EU family member.

A joint bank account might help in the event that you're challenged, but it should not be necessary.

mick5

Post by mick5 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:11 pm

rlobo Im sailing on the same boat as you are i am going to Malta then Netherland and contacted both High commission's in London they told me you dont need visa as long as your partner(Girl) which is European traveling with you.
But just to be on the safe side better take Joint bank statements and any other documents which is joint or has both names and same address i.e car insurance utility bill but i hope you wont need that but just to be on the safe side other then you dont have to worry.
Edit: Even i spoke to my airline whom iam traveling with they conformed me i dont need any thing just my passport which should have " Family member of EEA natnional" is more then enough.
Hope this help

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: Visa-free EU travel for unmarried partner

Post by ca.funke » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:33 am

rlobo wrote:...
3. IMP: I am an UNmarried partner, NOT same-gender; no marriage cert or CP cert...
>>2004/38/EC<< wrote:Article 2
Definitions
For the purposes of this Directive:
(...)
2. ‘family member’ means:
(...)
(b) the partner with whom the Union citizen has contracted
a registered partnership, on the basis of the legislation
of a Member State, if the legislation of the host Member
State treats registered partnerships as equivalent to
marriage
and in accordance with the conditions laid
down in the relevant legislation of the host Member
State;
No idea how this is to be interpreted.

Option 1:
If you´re covered in the country of your residence, you can use the obtained RP to claim your rights (travel) according to the directive throughout.

Option 2:
You can use the obtained RP to travel according to this directive ONLY in countries, where registered partnerships are treated as equivalent to
marriage (i.e where you could equally obtain a RP).
This would be particularly weird with a UK-EEA-RP in Schengen, as you´d be legal in some countris, and illegal in others.

#1 would be more easy and logical, #2 could have been enforced by conservative old-fashioned countries.

Given #2 is much more complicated and illogical, I´d tend to believe this is it! After all, Brussels loves everything messed up and complicated!

Does anyone know?

Rgds, Christian

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:49 am

The definition you referred to in article 2 is for registered partnership for same gender. This is not the case here. He is covered by article 3 2(b) which is for unmarried partners.

For the OP case, the RC should be enough for visa free travel but as you are advised to carry proof of relationship (just in case), it becomes a bit tricky when it is unmarried partner.

Some countries (Poland for example) don't recognise same gender marriages and as such those family member can not rely on 2004/38/EC when travelling to Poland. So I believe it's #2.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:56 am

Jambo wrote:...is for registered partnership for same gender. This is not the case here. He is covered by article 3 2(b)...
:oops: I believed "registered partnership" is everything outside marriage, incl. durable partnership, same-sex or not. Learning something new every day, thanks!
Jambo wrote:...Some countries (Poland for example) don't recognise same gender marriages and as such those family member can not rely on 2004/38/EC when travelling to Poland. So I believe it's #2.
If this is so, our ingenious leaders from Brussels would do good in publishing a map of where such couples are allowed to go. It´ll look like a rag rug. Very practical.

moroni

Post by moroni » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:16 pm

The registered partnership is not only for same gender couples.

YourEurope wrote: In several EU countries, you can make your partnership official without getting married, through a registered partnership (sometimes called a civil partnership).

Registered partnerships allow 2 people who live together as a couple to register their union with the relevant public authority in their country of residence.

(...)

Registered partnerships are considered equivalent to marriage in some – but not all – EU countries.

EU countries which do not recognise registered partnerships as equivalent to marriage:

Bulgaria
Cyprus
Estonia
Greece
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Malta
Poland
Romania
Slovakia

Where they are considered equivalent, they give you the same rights for immigration purposes: your registered partner will be entitled to come with you if you settle in these countries.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:29 pm

moroni wrote:
YourEurope wrote: (...)
Registered partnerships are considered equivalent to marriage in some – but not all – EU countries.

EU countries...
(...)
Liechtenstein
(...)
    • Ouch!
      How should one trust a source, which gets the basics so wrong? However, interesting list. :)

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Jambo wrote:The definition you referred to in article 2 is for registered partnership for same gender. This is not the case here. He is covered by article 3 2(b) which is for unmarried partners.

For the OP case, the RC should be enough for visa free travel but as you are advised to carry proof of relationship (just in case), it becomes a bit tricky when it is unmarried partner.

Some countries (Poland for example) don't recognise same gender marriages and as such those family member can not rely on 2004/38/EC when travelling to Poland. So I believe it's #2.
The following is my opinion, but not based on experience or law...

If one holds a residence card from another EU country you should be allowed in. If one applied for another residence card in a new host country, you would need to satisfy their rules.

rlobo
Newly Registered

Post by rlobo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:54 am

Thanks folks, for the responses and discussion!
I did also raise this with Solvit - last week and I've just got a rather lenghty and convoluted response from them. I had to read it about three times before I could make sense of around 70% of it.

Dear Madam:

Thank you for getting in touch with Your Europe Advice.

You indicate that you are an Indian citizen, and that your unmarried partner is a Dutch citizen. Arising from your unmarried partnership, you have been issued with a residence card for 5 years, with the indication that you are the family member of an EEA national.

You travel to other Member States on a frequent basis, and find that you are frequently compelled to having to process visas in order to do so.

You have a number of questions, which I shall endeavour to respond as succinctly as possible. If the answers provided below do not sufficiently clarify the situation for you, you are urged to contact us again so that you may put further follow up questions to our service.

1) Scope of free movement: Article 3 paragraph 2 Directive 2004/38

A) Do you benefit from the automatic rights of free movement where you are the unmarried partner of an EU citizen?

The short answer is no, given that you fall under the scope of Article 3 paragraph 2 Directive 2004/38. The legal basis for this is based on the wording of Article 3 paragraph 2:

“2. Without prejudice to any right to free movement and residence the persons concerned may have in their own right, the host Member State shall, in accordance with its national legislation, facilitate entry and residence for the following persons.”

Reference is made to “national legislation”. Member States have seized on that wording to mean that other family members (“OTM”) are subject to national law ("OTM" is used as short hand for the non core family members, ie those falling outside the scope of Article 2 paragraph 2 of Directive 2004/38).

The answer to your question is therefore that relevant Consulates have legal authority to treat your application for a visa under domestic legislation, and not under European Free Movement law.

B) Do you benefit from the visa exemption contained under Article 5 paragraph 2 Directive 2004/38?

Your other implicit question is whether you may benefit from the application of Article 5 paragraph 2, which contains a visa exemption.

You find that the authorities of some Member States refuse to apply the exemption contained under this provision on the grounds that you are not a family member as defined under Article 2 paragraph 2.

This arises out of a restrictive interpretation of Article 5 paragraph 2 Directive 2004/38. Thus, given that you are not a “family member” as defined under Article 2 paragraph 2, Member States interpret you as falling outside the scope of the visa exemption contained under Article 5 paragraph 2.

Whilst this may be true on a strict reading of the provision in question, this interpretation also run counter to the well settled principle under Free Movement law that provisions should not be interpreted restrictively (per Paragraph 84 in the Case of Metock, Case C 127/08 Metock and Others [2008] ECR I 6241, see link for more details:

http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs ... 0057en.pdf);

Recital 8 Directive 2004/38 sheds a clarifying light on how the exemption contained in Article 5 paragraph 2 must be read.

(8) With a view to facilitating the free movement of family members who are not nationals of a Member State, those who have already obtained a residence card should be exempted from
the requirement to obtain an entry visa within the meaning of Council Regulation (EC) No 539/2001 of 15 March 2001 listing the third countries whose nationals must be in possession of visas when crossing the external borders and those whose nationals are exempt from that requirement 1 or, where appropriate, of the applicable national legislation.

Thus, Article 5 paragraph 2 of Directive 2004/38 consecrates the principle of free movement already enshrined in the Schengen Convention entitling a third country national who is a already a resident within the European Union to travel visa free throughout the territory of the Union.

Accordingly, (so goes the argument), inasmuch as the UK has taken the step of treating you as a “family member” by issuing you with a Residence Card indicating that you are the family member of an EEA citizen, the nature of the exemption contained in Article 5 paragraph 2 should compel other Member State to treat you as a family member as well and to apply the benefit of the exemption in your case.

Having said that, I must highlight the fact that this theory has not been tested in the courts yet and the above exposition must be treated as a theoretical or academic legal exercise.

2. What documentation can you provide to demonstrate that you are in a durable relationship?

As a preliminary point, it must be underlined that you are not a “family member” as defined under Article 2 paragraph 2 of the Directive, given that you are not married.

Accordingly, what you must demonstrate is that you are in a “durable relationship”.

Evidence of this durable relationship will consist in the following:

Cohabitation evidence (e.g lease agreement, correspondence evidence proving that letters are being sent to you and/or your partner at the same address, proof that you are both registered at the same address for tax purposes, voting etc).
Evidence that you are mutually sharing the financial burden of living together (e.g. joint bank account, or joint utility bills);
Evidence that you may be dependent on your partner (or vice versa): Financial information that would support the fact.
Evidence you travel together on holidays

3) What document could you provide that would place yourself under Free Movement law, such that your application could be resolved under an accelerated process and free of charge?

A marriage certificate (as proof that you are married)!

Getting married to your partner would cause you to fall under the application of Article 2 paragraph 2 of Directive 2004/38. You would benefit from the automatic right of free movement contained in the Directive (visa exemption under Article 5 paragraph 2 Directive 2004/38 and/or free visa process, and accelerated visa process);

4) Moreover, is there any possibility that I can request a long term multiple entry tourist visas under my circumstances?

The answer to that is yes! Under the Visa code:

The visa code is established by virtue of REGULATION (EC) No 810/2009 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 13 July 2009 establishing a Community Code on Visas.

Specifically under Article 24 paragraph 2 of the code, you may apply for a Schengen visit visa which can be issued for a period of 5 years, providing that the following conditions are satisfied:

(a) the applicant proves the need or justifies the intention to travel frequently and/or regularly, in particular due to his occupational or family status, such as business persons, civil servants engaged in regular official contacts with Member States and EU institutions, representatives of civil society organisations travelling for the purpose of educational training, seminars and conferences, family members of citizens of the Union, family members of third-country nationals legally residing in Member States and seafarers;

and

(b) the applicant proves his integrity and reliability, in particular the lawful use of previous uniform visas or visas with limited territorial validity, his economic situation in the country of origin and his genuine intention to leave the territory of the Member States before the expiry of the visa applied for.

On the face of it, where you are able to prove the above conditions, you will be eligible for the granting of a long term visit visa. Please note that a visit visa application is entirely discretionary and you must prove the conditions set under the Visa code (purpose of the visit, length of stay, financial guarantees and medical insurance cover).

For more on this, you are urged to consult the following link:
http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/ ... 028_en.htm

Please follow the link to the French website:

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F19315.xhtml

Please follow the link for the Spanish website for more information on how to apply:

http://www.mir.es/SGACAVT/extranje/ciudadanos_UE/

Please find below a link for a lawyer should you wish to instruct a lawyer with respect to this process.

http://www.ccbe.eu/index.php?id=140&L=0

Given the many instances where Member States have been found to misapply the terms of European Union law in this field, the European Commission has been compelled to issue guidelines on the subject. Please follow the link:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... FIN:EN:PDF

Should you feel the need for an immigration adviser in Spain, please follow the link to contact an Immigration lawyer, which you may find through the following organizations located in various parts of Spain:

http://www.ccoo.es/comunes/estatico/CSC ... esCITE.pdf

http://www.ugt.es/inmigracion/foroinmigracion.html

The Spanish Red Cross also provides free legal clinics with Immigration Lawyers who will advise you about the steps to take.
http://www.migrar.org/asesoria/equipo/asesores/

I trust the above will serve to answer the query you had, thank you for contacting Your Europe Advice and look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Yours truly.
Your Europe Advice.

Its rather ironic that they say they hope to hear from me in due course. :lol:

rlobo
Newly Registered

Post by rlobo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:59 am

mick5 wrote:rlobo Im sailing on the same boat as you are i am going to Malta then Netherland and contacted both High commission's in London they told me you dont need visa as long as your partner(Girl) which is European traveling with you.
But just to be on the safe side better take Joint bank statements and any other documents which is joint or has both names and same address i.e car insurance utility bill but i hope you wont need that but just to be on the safe side other then you dont have to worry.
Edit: Even i spoke to my airline whom iam traveling with they conformed me i dont need any thing just my passport which should have " Family member of EEA natnional" is more then enough.
Hope this help
Which airline are you flying with? After all the comments on the forum i'm really hesitant to use Ryanair, even though they have tickets for a fiver!!could you also tell me what email address you used to communicate with the Dutch embassy? I cant seem to get a response..

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:59 pm

rlobo wrote:
mick5 wrote:rlobo Im sailing on the same boat as you are i am going to Malta then Netherland and contacted both High commission's in London they told me you dont need visa as long as your partner(Girl) which is European traveling with you.
Hope this help
Which airline are you flying with? After all the comments on the forum i'm really hesitant to use Ryanair, even though they have tickets for a fiver!!could you also tell me what email address you used to communicate with the Dutch embassy? I cant seem to get a response..
Mick5 was traveling with Ryan air, who were able to confirm that travel would be possible. see this thread.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=98029

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:03 pm

rlobo wrote:Thanks folks, for the responses and discussion!
I did also raise this with Solvit - last week and I've just got a rather lenghty and convoluted response from them. I had to read it about three times before I could make sense of around 70% of it.
While the response may be rather convoluted, the essence of it is pretty much what I had written in my earlier post. Your residence card now that it is issued should exempt you from the visa requirement.

rlobo
Newly Registered

Post by rlobo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:07 pm

rlobo wrote:
1) Scope of free movement: Article 3 paragraph 2 Directive 2004/38

A) Do you benefit from the automatic rights of free movement where you are the unmarried partner of an EU citizen?

The short answer is no, given that you fall under the scope of Article 3 paragraph 2 Directive 2004/38. The legal basis for this is based on the wording of Article 3 paragraph 2.

:lol:
Yes, but i'm not sure what to make of the above. Especially the bit where they say NO.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:15 pm

Ok, you are not a family member is the definitions in article 2 (spouse, children or parents, etc); you are however a partner of a Union citizen.

If you were a family member under article 2, things would be very easy.
As you are not, but are covered by article 3, you need to demonstrate that you a durable partner. You've done that for the UK.

Notwithstanding any of that, you have an article 10 residence card (article 5.2). That excepts you from the visa if traveling with or joining your EU family member.

If you were to move to another EU country with your partner, you would need to prove to them under their national legislative rules that you a durable partner and apply for their article 10 residence card. Your not doing that so it does not matter.

mick5

Post by mick5 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:59 pm

HI Resh i would say just satisfy airline and immigration officer take joint bank statements or anything which proves that you both have long term relation
any documents which has you and your partner name.