ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Requesting return of passport - ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bbc123
Newly Registered

Requesting return of passport - ILR

Post by bbc123 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:49 pm

Can I just check if anyone has had their application cancelled on requesting return of their passport?

Set (O) guidance:
Your application will be treated as withdrawn if your
passport is returned for travel abroad before we are
able to decide the application.
I received the Set(O) Ancestry acknowledgement letter on 07/09/12 and did the biometrics in December. It's been 5 months since application and I would like to travel on 21/03/2013, which would be over 6 months since application.

But I am scared that if I ask for the passport back they will cancel my application.

Any experience of this or advice please?
Last edited by bbc123 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:56 pm

Although it may well be unlawful, there's a strong risk that they will cancel your application as withdrawn.

bbc123
Newly Registered

Post by bbc123 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Do you know if they can still cancel the application if I request after the 6 months has expired?

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:52 pm

You need to postpone your travel plans until you hear definitely about your ILR. What's the point in withdrawing your application now.!!!

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:33 pm

bbc123 wrote:Do you know if they can still cancel the application if I request after the 6 months has expired?
Yes, they can do. You may want to try escalating via your MP, if you do not receive a decision after 6 months... It helped this applicant who had an urgent need to travel on compassionate grounds: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=125249

martingary1803
Newly Registered

Post by martingary1803 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:50 pm

hi,
welcome to you on this forum site.only A healthy and sharp mind can get pioneer success.By

prepare your brain to catch easily , you can do anything. Think about your basic weakness and

forget it to make it positive.
-------------------------
Enhance your memory power
Tricks to improve mind capability
Play with your brain

bbc123
Newly Registered

Post by bbc123 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks for the responses.

@cs95tdg very useful. Thank you.

@kevin24 I am not withdrawing my application. I am asking if requesting my passport will result in a cancellation. I won't request if it will.

I can't find any past threads where passport return request on a set(O) ancestry form (or any form) has resulted in a cancellation, but I'm not handy with the search function. Please could you post links if you find any?

Other posters have mentioned the facility to say NO on the Document Return Request Form when it asks if you are withdrawing the application. Again, I can't see if anyone has sent in this form with a NO in the box and had a cancellation made anyway. Please post if such a horror has occurred!? I am tempted to do the form with a NO to withdrawal but it feels like Russian roulette.

Many thanks again.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:00 am

bbc123 wrote:I would like to travel on 21/03/2013, which would be over 6 months since application.
If you are requesting your passport for the purposes of travel outside the CTA, then your application will be treated as withdrawn under 34K.

Moreover, if your leave had expired, then the continuation of leave under Section 3C will lapse (3C(3)) on your withdrawal/departure.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

bbc123
Newly Registered

Post by bbc123 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:17 am

vinny wrote:
bbc123 wrote:I would like to travel on 21/03/2013, which would be over 6 months since application.
If you are requesting your passport for the purposes of travel outside the CTA, then your application will be treated as withdrawn under 34J.

Moreover, if your leave had expired, then the continuation of leave under Section 3C will lapse (3C(3)) on your withdrawal/departure.
Thank you - very clear. Question answered.