ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Gaps in residence

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kpkr97
Newly Registered

Gaps in residence

Post by kpkr97 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi all,

I wonder if anybody could help me with my query. I have obtained my ILR in April 2012 on HSMP and Tier 1 basis but I have been resident in the UK for nealry 8 years. My ILR was given as backdated to september 2011 as I had already completed the required period by then. so they gave me a letter saying i would be eligible to apply for citizenship in septmebr 2012.
However I went to USA in June 2012 and returned in January 2013 after a gap of 7 months.
I own a limited company and have been paying NI and taxes all the while. ust want to know if its a good idea for me to apply for citizenship as theres now a gap of 7 months though I would have had already completed the required 12 months on ILR by september 2012.
I need your advice guys. Please let me know what u guys think.
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:47 pm

i would suggest you wait 4months before you apply as the one requirement that has to be met is no absence longer than 90 days in the 12 months before application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Re: Gaps in residence

Post by vinitmanu » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:47 pm

kpkr97 wrote:Hi all,

I wonder if anybody could help me with my query. I have obtained my ILR in April 2012 on HSMP and Tier 1 basis but I have been resident in the UK for nealry 8 years. My ILR was given as backdated to september 2011 as I had already completed the required period by then. so they gave me a letter saying i would be eligible to apply for citizenship in septmebr 2012.
However I went to USA in June 2012 and returned in January 2013 after a gap of 7 months.
I own a limited company and have been paying NI and taxes all the while. ust want to know if its a good idea for me to apply for citizenship as theres now a gap of 7 months though I would have had already completed the required 12 months on ILR by september 2012.
Thanks
You would normally need to meet the following standard residential requirements:

(1) not away >450 days in the last 5 years (270 days in 3 years if based on marriage)
(2) not away >90 days in the last 1 year
(3) not away on the beginning of your qualifying period (5 and 3 years respectively)
(4) not away on the day HO receives your application.
Life's too short .. Take it easy !

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Absences of >90 days maybe OK as caseworker is allowed to apply discretion

People with >90 days away have been given BC

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:02 pm

shaz1980

Post by shaz1980 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:50 pm

vinitmanu wrote:
kpkr97 wrote:Hi all,

Thanks
You would normally need to meet the following standard residential requirements:

(1) not away >450 days in the last 5 years (270 days in 3 years if based on marriage)
(2) not away >90 days in the last 1 year
(3) not away on the beginning of your qualifying period (5 and 3 years respectively)
(4) not away on the day HO receives your application.
i was reading this forum as will be applying for naturalisation soon
understood point 1st.2nd.4th but What do you mean by 3rd point point didnt quite understand it and haven't heard of this?

(3)not away on the beginning of your qualifying period (5 and 3 years respectively) where does it say that in standard residential requirements?

maybe someone you or someone can shed some light on this

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:57 am

shaz1980 wrote:
i was reading this forum as will be applying for naturalisation soon
understood point 1st.2nd.4th but What do you mean by 3rd point point didnt quite understand it and haven't heard of this?

(3)not away on the beginning of your qualifying period (5 and 3 years respectively) where does it say that in standard residential requirements?

maybe someone you or someone can shed some light on this
According to HO point 3 is the main reason most applications get rejected. If you are applying for citizenship, then exactly 5 years ago (or 3 years if married to British citizen, etc) you need to have been physically present in UK. There are many example dates/calculations of this on the forum and examples are also mentioned in the guidance notes - so it's pretty well documented. If you don't meet this requirement then your application will be rejected.