ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to EU with new Brit passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

quantumscience

Travelling to EU with new Brit passport

Post by quantumscience » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi

Has anyone traveled to any part of the EU soon after acquiring BC and passport?
I am a naturalised Brit (for more than 8 years now) and my wife naturalised recently. She is awaiting her passport interview and will get her passport soon after.
We are waiting for that ;) so we can travel together as family to somewhere in EU, say France, just for the fun of it... with her new Brit Passport. ;)

I know the travel and immigration should be hassle free (free movement within EU for us Brits ;)) but practically speaking, has any one experienced any issue when travelling with new Brit passport etc., either on travelling to EU or when coming back into the UK?

Can’t wait for her passport to arrive! : ;)

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Post by jms_uk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:33 pm

Yes, quite a few times. No questions asked over there nor on the return.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:42 pm

Someone I know with a new British passport had serious issues and actually denied boarding by the airline.

Heisgood

Re: Travelling to EU with new Brit passport

Post by Heisgood » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:23 pm

quantumscience wrote:Hi

Has anyone traveled to any part of the EU soon after acquiring BC and passport?
I am a naturalised Brit (for more than 8 years now) and my wife naturalised recently. She is awaiting her passport interview and will get her passport soon after.
We are waiting for that ;) so we can travel together as family to somewhere in EU, say France, just for the fun of it... with her new Brit Passport. ;)

I know the travel and immigration should be hassle free (free movement within EU for us Brits ;)) but practically speaking, has any one experienced any issue when travelling with new Brit passport etc., either on travelling to EU or when coming back into the UK?

Can’t wait for her passport to arrive! : ;)
You are both free from all immigration control. Enjoy your EU trip and forget immigration control FOREVER !
“O give thanks unto the LORD; for He is good:” - He helped me conquered Everest (BC)
The long hard slog also call the immigration journey => | WHV | WPermit | ILR | BC | Passport |

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:48 am

They might still face problems at the airport.

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:39 am

Ayyubi72 wrote:They might still face problems at the airport.
Most of the people don't face any problems, the only problem that can arise is because its new passport, it may not be identified in other immigration systems and hence immigration officer at the airport may perform further genuineness checks on the passport or may pull you for quick interview.

There was a post about it recently who had similar experience, but it was not scary, and you know its genuine passport acquired thru genuine citizenship, then no need to loose sleep on it.

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:39 am

Ayyubi72 wrote:They might still face problems at the airport.
Do the airline staff have access to the passport database? Was it because the system is not updated? Do you know the reason? Is it best to wait few months before travelling on the new passport?

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:49 am

Yea, I exactly know why the airline did not let that guy board the aircraft. He had excess baggage, and he was not willing to pay for it. :cry:

Now, chill out, do not ask childish questions. There is no chance of having problems with a "new" passport. A passport is a passport. Old or new does not make any difference. :lol: :lol:

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:00 am

Airline staff do not have access to passport database, they have to check the passport as Id for passenger and if the passenger has valid visa to enter the country of destination, because if they do not check the validity of visa then they will need to bear the cost of returning the passenger to the country of origin. The can also check the genuineness of passport by holding it under UV light.

Airlines do share details of passenger with Immigration and HO as matter of security.