ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:39 pm

It says 5 or 1 year preceeding the application. Meaning 5 years or 1 year are to be counted backwards from the date of application.

If you have been in the country for 10 years, then onlyy last 5 years are to be looked at. ( not the first 5 years)

If you have been in the country for 30 years, then only last 5 years are to be looked at. ( not the first 25 years)

t0mmy

Post by t0mmy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi,

1) Do I leave section 6.5 (about spouse photocopies..) i.e not tick as I am applying alone. I believe section 6.7 need to be not ticked and crossed as I don't have any special circumstances. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2) Is this the correct fees form:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... y-fees.pdf

Silly question, I am filling my an form. Realised a few typo errors and so had to reprint the whole form except the already completed referee pages and few other pages.
So currently some of the pages from my application looks a bit different(..different paper!!) due to it being printed from two very different printers. would it create any issue?

VR

You should be fine

Post by VR » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:07 pm

T0mmy,

1. You need not tick
2. Different papers makes no difference

The link on fees takes ages to open. Take the Nationality fees from the UKBA Website(Latest) and you should be fine.
cheers
vr

Are you paying 874Quid?

t0mmy

Post by t0mmy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Yes I am paying £874- i assume this includes the ceremony fees.

Also is there anywhere where we can specify if we want our ceremony to be in a specific council rather than where we live.

VR

Answers to your queries

Post by VR » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:28 pm

T0mmy,

Yes the 874 quid includes ceremony fees.

Normally when you fill out the FORM AN you have the opportunity to specify the place where you want to have your ceremony.

If your Application for naturalisation has been successful and you receive an invitation to contact a local authority to arrange for your ceremony but you want to attend in a different place;

a) First call the place where you wish to have your ceremony and find out if appropriate slots and dates are available.

b) Then call 0845 010 5200 to arrange for your Certificate of Naturalisation to be transferred to this office. Usually they send this to the Council based on your Form AN and it reaches them by the following Friday after the date on the Approval letter. Can be the week later too.

c)Book your appointment at the new place.
cheers
vr

t0mmy

Post by t0mmy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks VR.
You mean when filling the AN form we can specify where we want to have the ceremony. However i can't find any section on the AN form to specify this.

haider14
Newly Registered

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

Post by haider14 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Hello guys...
I have a question regarding sections 1.5 and 1.6

My surname is long and hard to pronounce. But my first name and father's name are easy.

Is it possible to add my father's name in section 1.5 instead of my current surname and add my first name only in section 1.6 then explain why I am doing this in page 15?

example:
name: Haider Kamil Saed Al-barazanchi
name to be shown in certificate: Haider Kamil

spike_UK

Post by spike_UK » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:46 pm

Hi guys, good to be back, I hope you all are doing good. I haven't been on this forum for ages and it seems it has changed the layout less my eyes not good anymore! lol
In advance I want to thank you for taking your time reading my post and trying to help me and rest of the forum, I do apologize for the long writing post but I do need your help. thanks
I soon I have to apply for Naturalization and I have few question if you could help me out please:
First: Section 1.2 Current Passport /Travel Docs,,,, I only have international (Iraqi) passport. Do I have to send that, if is optional I rather not.

Second: Section 1.31 Asking about partner! well I was married to EEA national but now we are separated and submit divorce but not concluded yet! same section 1.37 asking for PREVIOUS husband/wife. should I just fill 1.37 (previous wife)?

Third: Section 2.1 Date and Place of first arrival in the UK? well I came to UK in 2003 as an asylum but got refused, I got married in 2008 and my first state was Resident Card(5 years) on June 2014.,,,,, so what date should I put on application please?
Section 2.4 If you are a family member of EEA national? well I was but as we are separated and going through divorce I guess I'm not anymore and that is not applicable, am I right? I now hold Permanent Resident Card.

Fourth: Section 3 A good character, 3.1 What is your occupation? I'm not working at the moment and I'm signed of by a doctor/got ESA benefit. Would that affect my application?

Final question:
Applied for EEA4 on 24/02/2012.
HO received on 27/02/2012.
Refusal received on 16/08/2012 dated 11/08/2012
At the court, the HO REP withdrawn the decision and asked me to send the DOC for the time before marriage.
PR dated 05/03/2013

doroteka
Newly Registered

Post by doroteka » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi,
Maybe someone could help. my worries is what if I don't remember the dates when I left the UK. it was only on holiday and never more than I've been given by employer meaning usually 24 days per year. What shell I put in section 2. I'm from EEA and don't have any stamps in passport or ID.
Please could you help me.

Thank you in advance.
D.

alex_shvjac

Post by alex_shvjac » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:30 am

Thanks for nothing
Last edited by alex_shvjac on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inzi2k

Post by inzi2k » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi All,

I have a question if someone can answer.

I am applying for Naturalization (form AN), but I have enough loan to repay and I am planning to get IVA (Individual voluntary arrangement) to manage my debts.

Can anyone please let me know if this will make impact on my naturalization application.

Thanks

applied4bc
Newly Registered

Post by applied4bc » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi Everyone,
I be grateful if any GURU can help. I'm applying for Naturalization after 5 Year Refugee and 1 year ILR.
My two daughters (15 & 16 years old) got ILR(ILE) 7 months ago from India and came UK 6 months ago. Question is, can i apply for my daughters as well for registration as BC? My wife got ILR same time as my daughters.(Not applying for Wife yet).

Kind Regards

nats

Post by nats » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi everyone,
I had my ILR last year on 10 year basis and now will apply for nationality next month. I have a question regarding this.

1- in Good Character requirement: do i have to attach any document with my application to show good character like CRB? or will they check it by my NI number and other info provided?

2-List of documents should i prepare to attach with application?

2 whats the average processing time?

ricoemail
Newly Registered

Help on Knowledge of Language section of AN Form

Post by ricoemail » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi

Need some help in filling Knowledge of Language section of in AN Form (Oct 13).I came to UK as HSMP depended and on IRL since 2009 and my husband is British citizen from 2010. Need clarification on following points to filling AN form.

1. Points-based calculator don't have Naturalization option in dropdown, so can I use Tire -2 General and take the Printout to demonstrate Degrees taught in English ? I am an Engineer graduate from India and getting 10 point in PBC when selected Tire -2 General.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

2. If I can use the above option (Tire -2 General) and print out of PBC point which box I need to select in application Question 1.22 (English language part) among following three boxes ?

I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC ..........
(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that qualification was taught or researched in English; or
(ii) the qualification was taught or researched in UK or a majority English speaking country

Should I tick all 3 ?
or 1st and 2nd ?
or 1st and 3rd ?

Please clarify .

Thank you

Best regards
Ric

giolondon
Newly Registered

Post by giolondon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:14 am

hello everyone this looks silly but i have a question on filling form an for naturalisation on section 6 shall i tick 6.5 provide wife's copy passport?I think its irrelevant because she is not a british citizen.And right down on section 6.7 shall i tick that as well?I have no special circumstances.I got indefinite leave to remain for long stay category.I hold for over one year now.All thoses boxes ought to be tick or not?And I think I met all the requirements as well.Thanks so much.If anyone answer that.thanks a lot.Gio

jlj1982
Newly Registered

AN form (English requirement + Occupation)

Post by jlj1982 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:43 am

Hi,

I have been in the UK for close to 6 years on a work permit (2 years) followed by a Tier 1 visa (3 years). I obtained ILR on 21 February 2013 and I'm looking to apply for naturalisation next month. With regards to form AN, I have the following queries:

1. English language requirement: As I have previously satisfied the requirement for having obtained an academic qualification recognised by NARIC as being of the appropriate standard (through my WP and Tier 1 applications), what documentation do I need to provide proof of this?

Ordinarily I would assume it is flagged on the UKBA database that I have met this requirement but on this message board I noticed that people have mentioned that I need to print out the UKBA website calculator indicating this. I wanted to confirm whether this is all that's required because some of my friends have mentioned that an English Exam (through Trinity) is required or alternatively sending degrees and academic transcripts to obtain written confirmation from NARIC may need to be done.

There appear to be many different ways to go about this but I just wanted to confirm which of these is actually necessary.

2. Occupation: I am currently unemployed and looking to start my own business (but as of yet have not done so wrt. a legal entity). What option should I select in section 3.2? Additionally, I have sufficient funds to support myself during this period so is it recommended that I obtain bank statements and submit this with my application?

Some guidance would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if this has been answered to some degree in other threads.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:53 pm

In the past 3 years I was absent from UK 35 times. On Page 2 - "Residence requirements" I can only put 20 absences meaning that I will have to write remaining on Page 15 - "Further Information Not Covered" which will pretty much fill that page too.
As I will be requesting discretion would the cover letter be suitable to state the reasons why discretion should be granted to me?
I am sometimes wrong.

Longwait123
Newly Registered

Re: Naturalisation application processing timelines (only)

Post by Longwait123 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:11 pm

If I am applying naturalisation do I need to have UK test life or I can apply with my ESOl
?

Please guys clarify to me that

Thanks

alnuaimiuk

Re: Naturalisation application processing timelines (only)

Post by alnuaimiuk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:24 pm

From the 28-10-2013 you can not apply for naturalisation with out passing the life in the uk test even if you have a PHD :)
Longwait123 wrote:If I am applying naturalisation do I need to have UK test life or I can apply with my ESOl
?

Please guys clarify to me that

Thanks
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (119.18 KiB) Viewed 4372 times

fairgrace
Newly Registered

Post by fairgrace » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi,

I'm Italian and have been in the UK since 1998. I'm married to a British citizen since 2006 and gone travelling with him quite a bit since. Our home is here in the UK and my life is established here. I have not got ILR and now I've decided to apply for citizenship based on marriage and EU treaty route. We also have a young child who was born in the UK.
My questions are as follows.
1. I have P60 until 5 April 2006, then I stopped working and gone travelling in the UK. We then gone abroad for less then 1 year, back in 2008 and then away again for work in 2009 (my spouse's). I have not been away from the UK for more than 2 years consecutively, but I'm not sure how to demonstrate that as I wasn't in work at time (nor studying). Any idea how I can prove that I haven't left as when travelling in the UK, I was basically a landlord with my spouse. I've paid always NI voluntary contribution when not in work. Would they accept that evidence?
2. If I apply now, in section 1.17 I need to provide addresses for my past 5 years. We were not in the UK for a chunk of that time and when in the UK, our house was still rented, so we normally stayed at our friends' house. Should I put their address down and would it be a problem as I was out of the country at the beginning of the 5 years period (this does not have to be my qualifying period as I can use the years from 2001-2006)?
3. How can I prove that I was here at the beginning of my 3 years qualifying period as I was pregnant, but was not working? Would a letter from my GP help?

I am really concerned as I really want to apply now as we are going to be abroad again for what could potentially be a very long time and I'm worried of loosing any rights I have acquired so far. After all, my adult life has all been based in the UK.

How can I demonstrate all this? I'm also registered to the AIRE in London (Italian Resident Abroad). Would notification from them help?

Sorry, I'm not sure if I manage to make myself clear, but any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance and regards

lapkapups

Post by lapkapups » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:55 am

Hello guys!

I'm back on this forum and hoping for your helpful advice as usual

I am applying for British Citizenship following sucessfull EEA4 application and PR issued in January 2013 (took only 2 months for them to process the application!). However, I am confused about filling in the part of the application form dealing with EEA and family members. Form AN, points 2.4 & 2.5.

It specifically asks to answer if I am a family member of an EEA national and if yes, fill in all the stuff about spouse exersicing treaty rights, etc. However, I have already been granted PR and submitted all those documents with the EEA4 form so I'm not dependent on my husband anymore and shouldn't provide these documents again (it says so at the end of the form, section 4 of Supporting Documents). Basically, it is confusing. On the one hand, if I provide PR card I don't need to provide anything from my husband. On the other hand, there is no option in ponts 2.4/2.5 to tick somewhere that I have PR, it just simply asks if I am a family member and if yes, fill this in.

Not sure what to do. Anybody knows? I've alerady seen an official from NPC but she said she had no idea how to treat it and advised me just to leave it blank. But I am still married and technically I am a family member though my PR card doesn't say it.

neverbackdown
Newly Registered

which form to use

Post by neverbackdown » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:31 pm

hi guys,

not sure if this is the right post for this query but i hope some1 can answer.
i got ILR in June 2013 on basis of Long Residency
can someone answer my questions below
1)which form do i need to use for naturalisation?
2)do i need to apply by post or can i go for face to face interview?
3) when is the earliest i can apply for naturalisation?
4) i am applying for my Mrs Set(m), does she has to wait for a year before she can apply for naturalisation or she can apply straight away. she is in UK since May 2011 (2 yrs 9 months)
thanks & Regards

Magik009
Newly Registered

Post by Magik009 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:48 pm

Hello Members,

I have a question, please help me if you can, Back in June 2012 I got 3 points(outside court) for speeding and another 3 points and FPN for using mobile whilst driving in Nov 2012 (outside court), should I mention them in my application or should I simply send my counterpart with out mentioning them in my application?

Thanks & Regards

bale541
Newly Registered

Post by bale541 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Hi guys
I got 3 point on my driving licence sp 30.
Do I need to tell this in my application ?
If yes then in which section ? I am quite confused its not a criminal offence .
Please tell me in which section do I need to fill in.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi Bale,
see question 8 – Good Character Requirement FAQs.
I am sometimes wrong.