ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa Debt Query (Urgent)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sara37
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Spouse Visa Debt Query (Urgent)

Post by Sara37 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:08 pm

My Husband is a British Citizen and is going to file my spouse visa, I was previously in the UK first on a student visa and then on a PSW, I wanted to extend my stay as I wanted to do a Masters but I got unwell and had to return to my country. I have two problems now Firstly I do not have a criminal record or a CCJ but when I checked my credit history I have 5 defaults because I did not close my internet, phone, credit card and bank account. They amount to 4300 GBP which I plan to settle once I return. I do not owe money to the NHS or the Home Office. How should I tackle this when my husband is applying for my spouse visa

Secondly since i was unwell I overstayed 10 days as well, how should i present this on the application

Any help on the above two will be great

Thank You

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Spouse Visa Debt Query (Urgent)

Post by seagul » Mon May 20, 2019 7:17 am

Debts/unpaid loan amount usually have adverse affect on application. In my view preferably even before you apply visa your partner in UK start contacting to debt collectors and start repaying.
Regarding overstaying you can attach gp/hospital letter.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Sara37
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Sara37 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:34 pm

Dear Seagul

How will this adversely affect my application ? Does the HO check the credit history as well ?
Secondly where on the form will they ask for my financials?

I am extremely confused and worried so please let me know asap.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon May 20, 2019 7:14 pm

Sara37 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:34 pm
Dear Seagul

Almost all forms ask about outstanding debts/loans
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:21 pm

seagul wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:14 pm
Sara37 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:34 pm
Dear Seagul

Almost all forms ask about outstanding debts/loans
Where exactly are you getting this from??

It asks about NHS debt or possibly CCJ, nothing else.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon May 20, 2019 7:31 pm

In now a days a lot of service providers takes the person to court after few reminders through post followed by bailiffs visit. Debt recovery court cases despite not yet formed as CCJ but might affect the application. And a lot of forms do ask about none-NHS outstanding amounts/debts/loans too.

Sara37
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Sara37 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:51 pm

I am slightly confused i do not have NHS debt or a CCJ, so the defaults need to be addressed where and how ?like my husband is the main applicant and I will settle my debts but for that I need to be in the UK first, i am currently unemployed

Sara37
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Sara37 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:13 pm

can anyone please help on the above matter as I am confused about how to deal with the debt issue

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Tue May 21, 2019 8:56 pm

Sara37 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:51 pm
?like my husband is the main applicant and I will settle my debts
But in your first post you said that your husband is British citizen then how come he is the applicant??

Sara37
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Sara37 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:07 pm

sorry I got a bit over stessed out I am the applicant my husband is the sponsor, secondly they are my debts that I will settle once I am earning as I am currently unemployed, so where will i have to declare them and how should i handle the matter

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed May 22, 2019 9:50 pm

Sara37 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:07 pm
so where will i have to declare them
Wherever it will be asked.

Sara37
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Sara37 » Sat May 25, 2019 4:53 pm

it is not asked anywhere on the form , now what should i do about the defaults ?

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun May 26, 2019 2:01 am

Outstanding debts are only an issue when applying for British citizenship (apart from a NHS debt), not for a Spouse visa. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Sara37
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Sara37 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:16 am

Thank you so much Casa for the reply

I will make a special prayer for you for putting my heart at ease

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun May 26, 2019 3:59 pm

seagul wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:31 pm
In now a days a lot of service providers takes the person to court after few reminders through post followed by bailiffs visit. Debt recovery court cases despite not yet formed as CCJ but might affect the application. And a lot of forms do ask about none-NHS outstanding amounts/debts/loans too.
It is the most frequently occurring practice in now a days. Even the form will not specifically ask you as what you owe to who rather will definitely ask about question that whether you have any court proceeding anywhere including UK. So as mentioned earlier that if you don't pay then service/finance lending companies after few postal reminders hand over the matter to bailiffs and then the matter drags to court for recovery. Best solution is that your partner start contacting them on your behalf and agree on solution with them. Good luck

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun May 26, 2019 6:18 pm

Page 65 of the Immigration Rules (which trumps any other guidance) only lists unpaid NHS charges as a reason to refuse a Spouse Settlement visa due to outstanding debt.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 9.0EXT.PDF
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun May 26, 2019 6:35 pm

If there is court proceeding which hasn't been sorted out by the applicant then application will definitely be affected and not disclosing it in application will lead to deception which is one of the general grounds of refusal. That is why as mentioned earlier that contacting the relevant authorities and seek some solution with them will be wise.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun May 26, 2019 11:03 pm

seagul wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 6:35 pm
If there is court proceeding which hasn't been sorted out by the applicant then application will definitely be affected and not disclosing it in application will lead to deception which is one of the general grounds of refusal. That is why as mentioned earlier that contacting the relevant authorities and seek some solution with them will be wise.
Seagull

Credit checks are NOT performed by the Home Office on overseas applications. Debt is a civil matter and has no impact on the application. There are no authorities to contact only the creditors.

Stop giving false information

Montana2323

Post by Montana2323 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:09 am

Sara37 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:16 am
Thank you so much Casa for the reply

I will make a special prayer for you for putting my heart at ease
If this helps you in any way - I was in UK before i left and applied for spouse visa couple of years later. I left in a rush and hence unpaid debt. At the time of submitting my application for spouse visa I couldn't have known anything about being in default or ccj as I wasn't in the country so ticked No to those questions. And the visa was granted without any issues.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon May 27, 2019 12:39 am

Frontier Mole wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:03 pm
seagul wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 6:35 pm
Seagull

Credit checks are NOT performed by the Home Office on overseas applications. Debt is a civil matter and has no impact on the application. There are no authorities to contact only the creditors.

Stop giving false information
Frontier Mole

Stop inserting irrelevant assumption. Who is saying credit checks will be performed. What i am telling that unpaid debts in now a days drags to court for recovery which is very frequently happening. Almost all finance/service providing companies now employ contractors (bailiff/recovery officers) for the recovery of their debts and matters reaches to court. Neither the credit checks will be performed nor any pacific debt will be asked rather the application form must ask that "have you ever involved in court proceeding anywhere including UK". If the answer will be yes then it can affect/delay the application and if the answer will be no then it might leads to deception. Therefore, at the very beginning the correct advice was given that OP's partner in UK should contact them on his behalf and come to some solution.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon May 27, 2019 7:36 am

Seagull you are in an immigration forum and it is of no consequence if debt is outstanding for an application to the UK other than the NHS.
For the avoidance of doubt court action is for criminal activity and not civil or family cases.

Sara37
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Sara37 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:37 pm

There are no ccj and i have not received anything from the court so what should i do ? How am i using deception when I myself am not aware............. stressed again as I am not sure what to do

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue May 28, 2019 1:57 pm

There is nothing to declare, there are no criminal cases pending so that is a no in that box.

Sara37
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Sara37 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:41 pm

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time out for the replies

Sara37
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Sara37 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:44 pm

This is the question on the form

Have you had any UK court judgment against you for a non-payment of a debt, or received a penalty under the UK immigration acts?

how should i answer this ?