ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Deportation order

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Southern_Sky

Deportation order

Post by Southern_Sky » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:10 pm

This case is unusual because Gerard is an Irish citizen who may have to say goodbye to his wife and daughter because of Ireland’s tough immigration rules.

Most other cases involve immigrant parents one of whom is legally resident, thereby entitling their children to Irish citizenship, and the other whose visa is running out or whose asylum application has been turned down.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wee ... 55418.html

Caroline has been here since February 2005, when she claimed asylum. She gave birth to her son, Samuel, that June and began to date Gerard shortly afterwards. They fell in love and moved in together the following year, getting married after another year. Their daughter, Abigail, was born in March 2009.

A few weeks after her birth the Minister for Justice affirmed a decision handed down in November 2005 to deport Caroline to Nigeria.

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:37 pm

That story is heart breaking.

And she has been married to her Irish spouse for nearly 4 years!

F**king ridiculous the power the government bodies have over this country and Irish citizens.

The deportation order should be revoked, there are plenty of factors that should have been considered!
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:58 pm

This is a pretty heartless decision. I am sure the court should stay the JR until the outcome of RUiz Zambrano's case. as a positive outcome can result in this measure being unlawful under community law, as their is an Irish Child involved in this case.

One can only imagine the anguish the family will be going through.

Irish Immigration system is very inhumane, indeed
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

El shaddai
Member of Standing

Post by El shaddai » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:52 pm

What a Drunkard Decision.

Irisheddy

change of gov

Post by Irisheddy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:20 am

There will soon be a new minister of justice (maybe more left wing), so things will improve

El shaddai
Member of Standing

Post by El shaddai » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:24 pm

We hope so.Bcause Ireland need lots of changes.those old drunken masters must be replaced.

Monifé

Re: change of gov

Post by Monifé » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:26 am

Irisheddy wrote:There will soon be a new minister of justice (maybe more left wing), so things will improve
Unfortunately (and sorry to burst the bubble), but I don't think the new Government or Justice Minister is going to care that much about immigrants. They will be more focused on trying to get this country back on track and it might even be possible that there could be stricter measures imposed on immigrants.

Yes, maybe the new Justice Minister wont be as incompetent and retarded as our current one, but I doubt there would be any huge changes and if there is, I would say they would be negative rather than positive.

So, I wouldn't hold your breath ;)
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

daddy
Member of Standing

Zambrano's case

Post by daddy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:19 am

Obie wrote:This is a pretty heartless decision. I am sure the court should stay the JR until the outcome of RUiz Zambrano's case. as a positive outcome can result in this measure being unlawful under community law, as their is an Irish Child involved in this case.

One can only imagine the anguish the family will be going through.

Irish Immigration system is very inhumane, indeed
Please, Obie, could you tell us when the Zambrano's case will be due for final judgement(decision).
Thanks.

daddy
Member of Standing

Post by daddy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:23 am

[quote="Monifé"][quote="Irisheddy"]There will soon be a new minister of justice (maybe more left wing), so things will improve[/quote]

Unfortunately (and sorry to burst the bubble), but I don't think the new Government or Justice Minister is going to care that much about immigrants. They will be more focused on trying to get this country back on track and it might even be possible that there could be stricter measures imposed on immigrants.

Yes, maybe the new Justice Minister wont be as incompetent and retarded as our current one, but I doubt there would be any huge changes and if there is, I would say they would be negative rather than positive.

So, I wouldn't hold your breath ;)[/quote]

Hi Molife, may I ask the latest developement in your case.
Thanks for your reply?

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:54 pm

Quite an unbelievable thing going on there, for many reasons.

As per the article, the -effectively deported- Irish children can return to the state as soon as they´re old enough to do so on their own.

When they return from several years of growing up in slums in Brazil or the poverty in Nigeria, the likelihood of them becoming taxpayers rather than social-welfare claimers are much lower than if they were availed of a proper education back in their _home_ country.

Very soon, probably already now, Ireland will see an exodus of residents, Irish and Foreigners alike. The Irish government´s emphasis should be on attracting people from all walks of live to live in Ireland, not scaring them away.

Last but not least I´m thinking of the "European Convention on Human Rights", which conveys a "respect for private and family life". (Has this been taken to Strasbourg yet?)

A solution for all those reversely discriminated against would be to move to another European country. Obviously that is not always feasible, however Northern Ireland is never VERY far away. This may still be a better option compared to deportation. And -depending on the numbers- the British government may be induced to have a word with the Irish (or just silently welcome new taxpayers...?).

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:57 pm

daddy wrote:Hi Molife, may I ask the latest developement in your case.
Thanks for your reply?
Hi Daddy, haven't been able to get in touch with my solicitor for few days cos the receptionist said she was out sick. The last I heard our case was in for mention (for the 2nd time after DOJ asked for more time), they were suppose to give their (defence) papers over not friday gone but the one before that but my solicitor still hasnt received them.

We wanted to get into the next fixed list of court dates (last monday and the list is only 3 months) but I dont think we made it cos DOJ are using delay tactics. They have had nearly 2 months to prepare their defence, we prepared our argument in less than a week!

Waiting to hear back from the barrister, wasnt in office for a week because of the weather so I dont know if we made it into the list and the department is just sloppy and gave the court their papers but didnt give us a copy, or they asked for more time in which case we could be looking at 5 months before our case is heard. If they did give their papers in, we are looking at Jan/Feb for our case to be heard.

We also asked DOJ for temp stamp 4 for duration of case but it was refused, so my partner is still undocumented.

Also worried about the Advocate Generals opinion in the McCarthy case but our solicitor assured us that ours is quite different from hers and we also have the strong piece of evidence (permanent residence certificate).

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:09 pm

ca.funke wrote:Quite an unbelievable thing going on there, for many reasons.

As per the article, the -effectively deported- Irish children can return to the state as soon as they´re old enough to do so on their own.

When they return from several years of growing up in slums in Brazil or the poverty in Nigeria, the likelihood of them becoming taxpayers rather than social-welfare claimers are much lower than if they were availed of a proper education back in their _home_ country.

Very soon, probably already now, Ireland will see an exodus of residents, Irish and Foreigners alike. The Irish government´s emphasis should be on attracting people from all walks of live to live in Ireland, not scaring them away.

Last but not least I´m thinking of the "European Convention on Human Rights", which conveys a "respect for private and family life". (Has this been taken to Strasbourg yet?)

A solution for all those reversely discriminated against would be to move to another European country. Obviously that is not always feasible, however Northern Ireland is never VERY far away. This may still be a better option compared to deportation. And -depending on the numbers- the British government may be induced to have a word with the Irish (or just silently welcome new taxpayers...?).

The problems with using Strasbourg are two fold.

Firstly, the applicant needs a lot of money to take the case there.
Secondly, although the Irish Institutes must have regard to the ECHR, it is not fully and completely incorportated into Irish law (though Fundamental charter, which is basically the same, is - load of confusion with how ECHR is incorporated - the Irish way)

More to the point though, the ECHR and Article 8 arguement is a double edged sword. States are allowed to impose immigration rules without interference where there is a legitimate aim, something the courts may uphold. The decision needs to be proportionate.

The government, whom ever it will be, most certaintly will not want "all walks of life" coming here. At most, its people with large pockets of money ready to invest. The reality is that those who do come, will have little problems with getting in legally, as oppose to the hostile reception asylum seekers (who are branded as effective economic migrants) will get. There is no point rewarding those who can safely return to their countries and should have applied for visas like anyone else, when the country is simply not able to give them a job or at worse provide for them on social welfare (honestly, how many would get a job now no matter how well trained they are?)

The problems with this, is the delays it takes to process claims that are not vulnerable to judicial reviews. The courts are putting a halt to frivoulous claims now, so there is no excuse from the RAT etc. Get the decisions heard quickly but within the confindes of fairness. Same for ltr/sp but there, there needs to be a duty of care as to potential future probelms eg Zimbabwe or Burma (Nigeria is hardly going to explode anytime soon) With this in mind, it won't give the applicant the opportunity to start families and connections as occurs now, which, is quite natural and normal after spending so long here.

I can't see how an exdous of people are going to go. Its not like the 1980's where there were jobs/places etc available in Australia, UK, Canada, US. Its not really the case now. Unless they are prepared to pick up the various dialects of the Chinese language, they might have problems

Although contraversial, if the Irish parent was that bothered, he/she would ensure that the children stay here in Ireland, regardless of the other parent, or go elsewhere in Europe

With regard to the newspaper article, I don't wish to sound pedantic but a few issues need to be raised.

1. the paper refers the case to an "appeal". THis is incorrect. Judicial Review is not an appeal per se. It is a review on the State's decision makers as to whether proper procedures and law was considered. Whether EVERYTHING put before the decision maker was considered and reasons given, which may not be interfereable by a court (Constitutional rights are not absolute as we always keep hearing), are proportionate and meet with the "common good" (whatever that is)

The reason why the case takes so short is because the courts have been consistent (sadly, no use to the applicant on this issue) Where submissions made regarding the family at the time of the application for leave to remain?????? Was it the asylum decision as oppose to an application on the family that was being considered?

Its odd here, it seems that the marriage took place long before the deportation order (one factor looked at by the ECHR cases) Also sounds odd as it clearly does not indicate the genuine obstacles for the Irish citizen. Seems an awful lot of inconsistencies to 4-5 cases I am aware of or heard about.

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:22 pm

Sad...reverse discrimination at its extreme. Now nay sayers should cop on there are sadly no benefits of being a spouse of Irish apart of this getting in 3 year citizenship rubbish. You are right on the point that new minister wouldn't be any good, it will be the same failed policies will carry on as immigration is bottom of the food chain. What is McCarthy ruling does any one know or have a link available?

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:08 pm

fatty patty wrote:Sad...reverse discrimination at its extreme. Now nay sayers should cop on there are sadly no benefits of being a spouse of Irish apart of this getting in 3 year citizenship rubbish. You are right on the point that new minister wouldn't be any good, it will be the same failed policies will carry on as immigration is bottom of the food chain. What is McCarthy ruling does any one know or have a link available?
The judgement hasn't happened yet in the McCarthy case, but Advocate General Kokott has give her opinion.

Also, it was a negative opinion and seriously contradicted Advocate General Sharpston's opinion in the Zambrano case.
Last edited by Monifé on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:11 pm

i think i read about this case, that the irish spouse already has 6 kids on his own... i would assume that he is divorsed... if he was working he would have to support/pay maintenance to his kids and ex plus be able to support his new non EU wife and a new child... somehow i have a feeling that the irish spouse is not in employment, does not support his ex family and does not support his new family, therefore, he is probably not seen as pulling his weight... well, that's just my thoughts...

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:45 pm

Monifé wrote:
fatty patty wrote:Sad...reverse discrimination at its extreme. Now nay sayers should cop on there are sadly no benefits of being a spouse of Irish apart of this getting in 3 year citizenship rubbish. You are right on the point that new minister wouldn't be any good, it will be the same failed policies will carry on as immigration is bottom of the food chain. What is McCarthy ruling does any one know or have a link available?
The judgement hasn't happened yet in the McCarthy case, but Advocate General Kokott has give her opinion.

Also, it was a negative opinion and seriously contradicted Advocate General Sharpston's opinion in the Zambrano case.
Thanks for the links.

Zebrudaya

Post by Zebrudaya » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Dear ca.funke

I agree completely with you over most of the issues you raised. If the Irish government is not careful, there is going to be mass exodus of people from Ireland not just because of the financial problems she has now, but because of the heavy-handed laws especially their immigration laws. As a matter of fact,several years ago, during the potato famine in Ireland, many Irish people left in droves to England and other countries. The Irish government should be very careful.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:58 pm

Hi daddy,

The Zambrano case has yet to be decided. One could confidently say it would be out by next spring to summer at the latest. The McCarthy case will follow shortly aswell.

I agree with Cafunke that Ireland should be careful about the way it treats migrants, especially migrant workers, whose contribution strengthens the internal market, which in turns benefits Ireland's bankrupt and hopeless economy .

Without EU, Ireland will not worth a piece of cake.

Now that this exodus is becoming evident, as the jobs are becoming more scarce and life is becoming intolerable, Ireland should look towards attracting more people and not discouraging them.

How could there be a recovery without the workforce. How could the thousands of empty houses in Dublin and other parts of Ireland be filled without people .

A growing body of evidence indicate that emigration is on the increase in Ireland. Net migration is now in the negative. This does not bode well for any nation looking forward to recovery. Perhaps this drunkard politicians don't give a money about recovery, just care about their property developer mates and preserving the Irish Gene pool.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Irisheddy

Post by Irisheddy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:18 am

Zebrudaya wrote:Dear ca.funke

I agree completely with you over most of the issues you raised. If the Irish government is not careful, there is going to be mass exodus of people from Ireland not just because of the financial problems she has now, but because of the heavy-handed laws especially their immigration laws. As a matter of fact,several years ago, during the potato famine in Ireland, many Irish people left in droves to England and other countries. The Irish government should be very careful.
You obviously do not know Irish history.
I think you should know that that was more than 150 years ago and ireland was under British rule at the time. Some people even today say it was a deliberate campaign of genocide. So it is a sensitive topic

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:20 am

Zebrudaya wrote:Dear ca.funke

Do yourself a favour will you. Stop bringing historical context into your argument as you haven't got a clue. It is also completely irrelevant. If you wanted to give an example of an exodus of Irish Immigration by all means try using the 1950's, or 1980's. "several years ago", jesus you make it sound like 150 years ago was only a few years ago. You would do well to note what exactly Westminister did in those days and why exactly the country was living off the potatoe in the first place (ie famine). Oh, yes, and the fact that Ireland was part of Great Britian , ie United Kingdom of Great Britian & Ireland 1801-1922, would hardly be considered immigration.

Why should the government be very careful? Its solid employment, standard of living and costs that the country needs to worry about. The government will be only too glad to see some Irish leave in order to release the social welfare valve. I put it to you that anything done to be as much as seen as giving rights to non eu related immigrants over Irish , is something that the government needs to watch out for. We will then see how "Offical Ireland" tolerates it then. Bottom line, they are the issues of concern, not a small number of couples which this matter effects. Be honest, these sad and in some cases drastic judgements will have little effect on the population as a whole. They were just as common in the UK, but that did not bring society down.

Respectively, they knew the risks of getting married on the basis of her fragile and unstable state of immigration. They knew the risks that possibly one day the Nigerian National may return home. Why did they rush into it? (That is the point of view that has been taken by the ECtHR in the past) All is not loss for them, they could exercise their EU Treaty Rights.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:30 am

Obie wrote:Hi daddy,

The Zambrano case has yet to be decided. One could confidently say it would be out by next spring to summer at the latest. The McCarthy case will follow shortly aswell.

I agree with Cafunke that Ireland should be careful about the way it treats migrants, especially migrant workers, whose contribution strengthens the internal market, which in turns benefits Ireland's bankrupt and hopeless economy .

Without EU, Ireland will not worth a piece of cake.

Now that this exodus is becoming evident, as the jobs are becoming more scarce and life is becoming intolerable, Ireland should look towards attracting more people and not discouraging them.

How could there be a recovery without the workforce. How could the thousands of empty houses in Dublin and other parts of Ireland be filled without people .

A growing body of evidence indicate that emigration is on the increase in Ireland. Net migration is now in the negative. This does not bode well for any nation looking forward to recovery. Perhaps this drunkard politicians don't give a money about recovery, just care about their property developer mates and preserving the Irish Gene pool.
Getting a work force is not the problem. There are over 200,000 looking for work as it is. Many/most are trained to 3rd Level. Its attracting business' or stimulating the current crop in setting up their own business.

I do accept your point though that Ireland does need to be careful on how it treats its immigrants as what comes around goes around and it would not bode well for its so called island of a thousand welcomes. But, frankly, its not places like Africa or Eastern Europe that the Irish will likely turn to away (though, who knows, and it is not the point)

Ireland would be nothing without EU, maybe, but the exact same would be said about most other countries in the Union. The Union signed up by Ireland was based on Economic co-operation, EEC. Its safe to say that the Union of today is greatly different to that pre 1992. Its not what most countries signed up for. If it rejects a treaty, it gets bullied, yet if France/Germany or even Poland speak up every one shuts up. Europe was suppose to be about a unit of countries who enjoy EQUAL Rights and say. Some how, I don't think most EU countries signed up to the opinions of unelected and unaccountable judge makers. (Though in fairness, Directive 2004/38 EC is based on such caselaw)

daddy
Member of Standing

Think properly.

Post by daddy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:30 pm

To: Walrusgumble
I do appreciate your somehow sincere contributions in this forum, however, I am suprise sometime with your reasoning. I have a question for you. Is it a sin or illegal for someone to fall in love?, do you have emotions? If you were those children born of non eu mother with eu father, and you were forcefully seperated from your father, how would you feel? Does illegal immigration status on a mother make her or her eu children less human or animals? every law on earth was ment to the benefit of human beigns and not to their detriment. would the same law ment to help the society be used to deprive them of ther basic human rigths as in the case of the eu cildren of non eu mother?. It is hight time we start reasoning properly, we are all humans not animals. what is immigration status to basic human rights of a child. Is Ireland really a democratic society? if yes, then, why would Ireland not have regard to Irish citizen( a child) basic human right and that of his or her father ( Irish citizen). My last comment in this case would be, whomever that is commenting on this issue, please know that a child is involved in this case, as well, a genuine marriage.Thanks.
Last edited by daddy on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:38 pm

walrusgumble wrote:...Bottom line, they are the issues of concern, not a small number of couples which this matter effects. Be honest, these sad and in some cases drastic judgements will have little effect on the population as a whole. They were just as common in the UK, but that did not bring society down.
Hi walrusgumble,

as you say, the small numbers of immigrants where such drastic measures are taken won´t bring society down, whatever way their specific cases are decided (allowed to stay / NOT allowed to stay). The 100 odd cases where Irish children (no idea how many such cases there are?) will be deported won´t change anything in the big picture.

Indirectly, however, the big picture is influenced, and that´s the reputation of the state.

If one of my countries (I´m both German and Belgian) would deport German respectively Belgian children, i.e. my own compatriots, to Nigeria or Brazil against their parents wishes, my belief in the state would be more shattered than it already is.

I can´t understand how Irish people can accept that Irish children are deported in that manner. In this specific case the child concerned is not "just" paper-Irish (as if that wasn´t bad enough), this child is truly 50% real Irish. 100% Irish according to the passport. And deported to Nigeria.

So the belief into the stability of the state / the reasoning of the government could well suffer from such indescribable occurrences.

daddy
Member of Standing

We need to reason properly!

Post by daddy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:43 pm

Attention: Walrugumble, I do appreciate your somehow sincere contributions in this forum, however, I am suprise sometime with your reasoning. I have a question for you. Is it a sin or illegal for someone to fall in love?, do you have emotions? If you were those children born of non eu mother with eu father, and you were forcefully seperated from your father, how would you feel? Does illegal immigration status of a mother make her or her eu children less human or animals? every law on earth was ment to the benefit of human beigns and not to their detriment. would the same law ment to help the society be used to deprive them of ther basic human rigths as in the case of the eu children of non eu mother?. It is hight time we start reasoning properly, we are all humans not animals. what is immigration status to basic human rights of a child. Is Ireland really a democratic society? if yes, then, why would Ireland not have regard to Irish citizen( a child) basic human right and that of his or her father ( Irish citizen). My last comment in this case would be, whomever that is commenting on this issue, please know that a child is involved in this case, as well, a genuine marriage.Thanks.,

Excuse me for posting this again, it is because i found some difficulties doing the quote thing, so my post was not clear enough.

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: We need to reason properly!

Post by ca.funke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:49 pm

daddy wrote:Excuse me for posting this again, it is because i found some difficulties doing the quote thing, so my post was not clear enough.
Hi daddy,

you can use the "edit" button next to your own posts to change them.

Also, before posting, you can use the "preview" function.

These tools will allow you to experiment a bit, and find out how to make the quotes appear correctly...

Enjoy... :)