ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR application, made redundant 2 months prior to completing 5 years.

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cykgr09
Newly Registered
India

ILR application, made redundant 2 months prior to completing 5 years.

Post by cykgr09 » Sat May 27, 2023 8:00 am

Hi Everyone,

Would greatly appreciate some advice.
I was made redundant recently and serving my notice period till August. I am on Tier 2 general visa and completing my 5 years in July. Can I go ahead and apply for my ILR in June (28 days prior) with my sponsor company saying I will be terminated in August?

Thanks.

vinny

Re: ILR application, made redundant 2 months prior to completing 5 years.

Post by vinny » Sat May 27, 2023 10:37 am

Unfortunately, no.

SW 24.2.
The sponsor must confirm that they still require the applicant to work for them for the foreseeable future, and that the applicant is paid, and will be paid for the foreseeable future, at least the salary in SW 24.3.
fails. Quickly find another sponsor and update.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

cykgr09
Newly Registered
India

Post by cykgr09 » Sun May 28, 2023 8:40 am

Thank you @vinny

webw06
Newly Registered

Post by webw06 » Mon May 29, 2023 10:53 pm

I would check with an immigration lawyer - perhaps get a consultation for 30 mins to get some legal advice. I was in a similar but not exact ituation as you in 2014. My employer was about to had lay off it's entire UK staff in June 2014. I was eligible to apply for my ILR in early early Jine 2014, completing 5 years on my Tier 1 visa. The only difference was that I had another job offer with a signed employment contract (starting mid-September).

I applied using the priority service getting a positive decision the same day.

Again, I would check with an immigration lawyer for your specific circumstance. If you are still employed on the day of your application, and your incumbent employer can provide you with a (factual) employment verification letter perhaps you can apply?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 30, 2023 1:06 am

I believe the relevant ILR requirements for Tier 1 holders (are) were also different to Tier 2 (General)/ Skilled worker holders.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 30, 2023 6:00 am

@webw06, the rules for Tier 1 in 2014 were definitely quite different. They only required one to demonstrate earnings of a particular amount. It could be across multiple employers, which is what I did for my Tier 1 ILR. And your Tier 1 visa was not reliant on any employer sponsorship.

Tier 2 is a very different beast from Tier 1. It would be a case of comparing apples and oranges.

But of course, we would always encourage people to get advice from a good immigration lawyer. On these forums, we are not lawyers, merely people who have already been through the system.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

cykgr09
Newly Registered
India

Post by cykgr09 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:29 am

Hi Guys,

Here is an update - I got an offer for a job similar to the one I was working and a lead role and with a 30% hike, the firm who gave me the job is suggesting I apply for my ILR, with my current firm details of their SOC and stuff, stating I am serving my notice period until mid-August and have another job that I will be moving to and the details of the other job and supporting documents from them.

Will this option work and do I have any chance of getting my ILR in this route?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:37 am

It won't work. You cannot try trick your way to ilr

You either change sponsors and then apply for ilr or your ilr is very likely to be refused because you do not mee the requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CosmosS
Newly Registered

Post by CosmosS » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:23 pm

cykgr09 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:29 am
Hi Guys,

Here is an update - I got an offer for a job similar to the one I was working and a lead role and with a 30% hike, the firm who gave me the job is suggesting I apply for my ILR, with my current firm details of their SOC and stuff, stating I am serving my notice period until mid-August and have another job that I will be moving to and the details of the other job and supporting documents from them.

Will this option work and do I have any chance of getting my ILR in this route?
I can give you an example on doctors. We don't get a "for the foreseeable future" letter. We only get employment contracts with set start and end dates. One may apply for ILR with a few months left on their visa and contract with no other job lined up yet. (We only get speciality job offers 2-3 months prior to start date). Therefore our letters contrary to the home office skilled worker settlement appendix do not contain the sentence "for the foreseeable future" and may have an end date in a few months. We still get our ILRs just fine. Perhaps this is unique to doctors as the home office realises this.

If you can get a CoS and extend your visa prior to the application then that is the safer option. Obviously it is best to stick to immigration rules and policies in the appendix so no one has an excuse to reject your application. I would do this if I were you.

But what your employer is telling you is not that unusual. I myself have received ILR with only 3-4 months left on my visa and no job lined up and no "for the foreseeable future" in the letter.

Best of luck.