ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which visa to apply for ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ellaninor
Newly Registered
Mood:
France

Which visa to apply for ?

Post by Ellaninor » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:39 pm

Hello,

I am currently living in France and running a freelance company there. This is an activity I can handle remotely no matter the country I live in. I am in a 2 years relationship with someone living in the UK since 5 years and has the pre-settled status.

We would like to get into a civil partnership in order to apply for a family visa that would allow me to live with him in UK.

Is Family Visa the right visa to apply as I want to live with him and that I am not seeking any job in UK ? Or should I apply for a work visa just because I already have a freelance activity in France but I still want to be able to live with my partner in UK ?

Thank you for your advices

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Which visa to apply for ?

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:46 pm

Partner visa if you are married or in a recognised civil partnership, provided your partner meets the financial requirement and you meet the English requirement and there is adequate accommodation in the UK.

A skilled worker visa requires you to have a sponsoring employer and you can only work for that employer. You cannot freelance on a skilled worker visa.

There is no other work visa that would allow you to freelance.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ellaninor
Newly Registered
Mood:
France

Post by Ellaninor » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:49 pm

Does it mean that wether I apply for a Family visa or a Work visa, I will need to abandon my freelance french activity to meet UK immigration rules ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:49 pm

Partner visa no.

Skilled worker visa yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ellaninor
Newly Registered
Mood:
France

Post by Ellaninor » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:56 pm

So, if I understand, I can apply for a family visa, live in UK with my partner and continue my french freelance activity remotely from UK ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:00 pm

Correct, provided your partner continues to meet the financial requirement for your future visa extension and PR after 5 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Ellaninor
Newly Registered
Mood:
France

Post by Ellaninor » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:06 pm

If I can live in UK thanks to a family visa and keep remotely a french freelance activity, it should also work if I had a french work contract full remotely right ?

Is there any specification of what we are talking about in the UK gov immigration website ? I was honestly about to leave my french activities just because I thought that family visa and immigration wouldn't allow me to work remotely for any type of activity that brings ressources and that aren't in UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:10 pm

You are overthinking.

There are no work restrictions on a partner visa. You do even have to work if you choose not to.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Ellaninor
Newly Registered
Mood:
France

Post by Ellaninor » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:28 pm

Thank you for you answer.

Last question, I am almost sure that 1 year ago a civil partnership visa had work restrictions. Did it change since or was it, in fact, never the case ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:36 pm

The 2.5 year partner visa has never had a work restriction.

The 6 month fiance visa to enable getting married etc in the UK does have a work restriction.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Ellaninor
Newly Registered
Mood:
France

Post by Ellaninor » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:39 pm

Ok, thank you so much for your quick and clear answers ! : :wink:

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:31 pm

Ellaninor wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:28 pm
Thank you for you answer.

Last question, I am almost sure that 1 year ago a civil partnership visa had work restrictions. Did it change since or was it, in fact, never the case ?

Ellaninor
Newly Registered
Mood:
France

Post by Ellaninor » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:46 pm

Hello again,

Still exploring this wonderful forum. Is, in 2022, a PACS between 2 persons of opposite sex made in France is recognized as a civil partnership of 2 persons of opposite sex in UK ?

If yes, are PACSed couple can, therefore, apply for a family visa ?