ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Vadrar » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:40 pm

I’m trying to help someone with an FBR application and it really isn’t my area of expertise (I know more about applications via residency.)

A) Should they include a divorce certificate if their parents are divorced? They have all birth/death/marriage certificates, but not the divorce cert. They want to avoid being pulled out of the queue for an additional document request, but getting the divorce cert will be hard because of enstrangement.

B) they have all certs (except divorce) for the line from Irish born to themselves. They aren’t including birth and death certs for people (eg mother and grandfather) who isn’t related to the Irish born. Is this correct?

C) do people include the applicants birth certificate twice - one for identification and again to illustrate genealogy, or just one certified copy? (I’m assuming just once, but would prefer to check than steer them badly.)

Grateful for any thoughts, thank you.

jimmygiii
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by jimmygiii » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:04 pm

I did not include the divorce certificate in my FBR process only the two official marriage certificates showing parent/mother name changes. While I did not need to produce it (thankfully as it took a very long time to get it from the county offices) that same parent was told by the Passport office it was necessary to get her Irish passport. All certificates must be official legal copies with the stamp and all that. In fact she had also sent a 1970's era official marriage certificate with the stamp and the passport office requested a more recent version. I'm guessing they are concerned about fraud and are being nit picky. If you have that official divorce document I would say include it to be on the safe side as it seems once they request more documents the application process stalls out for a long extended period.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:22 pm

jimmygiii wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:04 pm
I did not include the divorce certificate in my FBR process only the two official marriage certificates showing parent/mother name changes. While I did not need to produce it (thankfully as it took a very long time to get it from the county offices) that same parent was told by the Passport office it was necessary to get her Irish passport. All certificates must be official legal copies with the stamp and all that. In fact she had also sent a 1970's era official marriage certificate with the stamp and the passport office requested a more recent version. I'm guessing they are concerned about fraud and are being nit picky. If you have that official divorce document I would say include it to be on the safe side as it seems once they request more documents the application process stalls out for a long extended period.
Thanks jimmygiii, that’s useful. The issue they face is that the relevant authority won’t issue divorce certificates to anyone but the parties of the divorce (ie husband and wife) until both are deceased and the child (an adult now, but child by relationship) in question can’t contact their mother (father is deceased) to request she orders it.

I can see why the party of the divorce would need to supply it for a passport. I’m hoping this applicant can submit successfully without it. I think the child of the divorce (the applicant) will have to submit without it and include an affadavit of enstrangement and explain they can’t apply for it themselves.

Thanks for your help!

Coachman
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Coachman » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:06 am

Vadrar wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:40 pm
I’m trying to help someone with an FBR application and it really isn’t my area of expertise (I know more about applications via residency.)

A) Should they include a divorce certificate if their parents are divorced? They have all birth/death/marriage certificates, but not the divorce cert. They want to avoid being pulled out of the queue for an additional document request, but getting the divorce cert will be hard because of enstrangement.

B) they have all certs (except divorce) for the line from Irish born to themselves. They aren’t including birth and death certs for people (eg mother and grandfather) who isn’t related to the Irish born. Is this correct?

C) do people include the applicants birth certificate twice - one for identification and again to illustrate genealogy, or just one certified copy? (I’m assuming just once, but would prefer to check than steer them badly.)

I didn't include divorce info and mine was approved. I provided grand parent and parent birth, marriage, and death certificates. Not the spouses. I included one long version of my own birth certificate and marriage certificate. Notarized identity and also original proofs of address. I think that was everything. Good luck.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:06 am

Coachman wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:06 am
Vadrar wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:40 pm

I didn't include divorce info and mine was approved. I provided grand parent and parent birth, marriage, and death certificates. Not the spouses. I included one long version of my own birth certificate and marriage certificate. Notarized identity and also original proofs of address. I think that was everything. Good luck.
Thanks so much, really helpful info.

Bmcg
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Bmcg » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:05 pm

TayBluetooth wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:51 pm
Hi everyone,

Just updating everyone on my situation.

I sent my application away on 30/06/22.

Documents were received on 08/07/22.

I got an email on 23/03/23 mentioning a problem with my Grandfather's death certificate not being original. In this email, they also asked me to confirm my address which I did.

After this email, I sent the correct original document away and followed up twice asking if it had been checked, but they replied that it hasn't yet due to a backlog. They received this document on 11/04/2023.

As of today, I haven't heard back still, so I decided to email a member of the Oireachtas to contact the Tánaiste directly about the additional document wait. The member said they will contact him and update me as soon as they hear back.

My main worry is that with the main focus being on sorting out correct applications, the ones with additional documents needed are being overlooked.

If I get a reply I will keep everyone updated.
Hi Taybluetooth,

Thanks for your post. I’ve been in this additional document waiting zone for 5 months and like many others starting to get a bit frustrated. I’m really interested in following up with the action you took and I’m sure there will be many others who come on here as well. I’m 20 months now and have seen in the past that if issues are escalated to the right people then action is taken. Could you let me know who you’ve contacted and I will follow up to make contact and hopefully others will follow.

Many thanks

B

rgaines3
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rgaines3 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:12 pm

Just received my FBR address check yesterday:

Application Submitted: 14 September 2022
Docs Received: 11 October 2022
Address Check: 28 July 2023

Ozzy1986
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Ozzy1986 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:31 am

Bmcg wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:05 pm
TayBluetooth wrote:
Hi everyone,

I got an email on 23/03/23 mentioning a problem with my Grandfather's death certificate not being original. In this email, they also asked me to confirm my address which I did.

After this email, I sent the correct original document away and followed up twice asking if it had been checked, but they replied that it hasn't yet due to a backlog. They received this document on 11/04/2023.

As of today, I haven't heard back still, so I decided to email a member of the Oireachtas to contact the Tánaiste directly about the additional document wait. The member said they will contact him and update me as soon as they hear back.

My main worry is that with the main focus being on sorting out correct applications, the ones with additional documents needed are being overlooked.

Hi Taybluetooth,

Thanks for your post. I’ve been in this additional document waiting zone for 5 months and like many others starting to get a bit frustrated. I’m really interested in following up with the action you took and I’m sure there will be many others who come on here as well. I’m 20 months now and have seen in the past that if issues are escalated to the right people then action is taken. Could you let me know who you’ve contacted and I will follow up to make contact and hopefully others will follow.

Many thanks

B
Hello!

Sorry to hijack, but similar to you, I have been waiting some time (25 months).

Last week, I wrote to my local TD. She tried her best to get some clarification on my behalf but was basically told I just had to wait. Instead she has submitted a Parliamentary Question to the Minister for Foreign Affairs on my/our behalf. It will probably be the end of September before I get a reply because of the summer recess.

The question she submitted was: To ask the Minister if he is aware that there does not appear to be a way for members of the Oireachtas to contact the Foreign Births Register section to make queries on behalf of their constituents; the contact phone number is for general queries but does not allow for specific application queries; is he aware that there are applications submitted in early 2021 that still have not been dealt with fully; will he provide an update on one such application (details provided) and ensure that a pathway for public representatives to receive updates for constituents is provided; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

I'm hoping I will have heard back by then.

Ozzy

Bmcg
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Bmcg » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:12 pm

Ozzy1986 wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:31 am
Bmcg wrote:
TayBluetooth wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hi Taybluetooth,

Many thanks

B
Hello!

Last week, I wrote to my local TD. She tried her best to get some clarification on my behalf but was basically told I just had to wait. Instead she has submitted a Parliamentary Question to the Minister for Foreign Affairs on my/our behalf. It will probably be the end of September before I get a reply because of the summer recess.

The question she submitted was: To ask the Minister if he is aware that there does not appear to be a way for members of the Oireachtas to contact the Foreign Births Register section to make queries on behalf of their constituents; the contact phone number is for general queries but does not allow for specific application queries; is he aware that there are applications submitted in early 2021 that still have not been dealt with fully; will he provide an update on one such application (details provided) and ensure that a pathway for public representatives to receive updates for constituents is provided; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

Ozzy
Thanks Ozzy, that’s much appreciated. Hope things are moved along in the right direction for you soon.

I had just looked out today what politicians have raised concerns with the process before. Frankie Feighan from Fine Gael has taken forward concerns before so I’m going to email him about time taken with my application and that of many others were there has been a request for additional documents.

If it’s recess just now then hopefully email can land at a good time.

Will let you know if there’s any movement on my side.

Thanks again,

B

cyforcypher
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by cyforcypher » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:13 pm

Hello! Is anyone who got their congrats email around late June or early- to mid-July still waiting for their certificate to arrive? If it has arrived, how long did it take, and where are you located?

For anyone else, did yours take a while to arrive? From the spreadsheet, the average time looks like about a week. I'm at 2 weeks, hoping Canada Post is just slow, and this precious relic I've been waiting for hasn't gone missing.

Thanks!

TayBluetooth
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by TayBluetooth » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:45 pm

Bmcg wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:12 pm
Ozzy1986 wrote:
Bmcg wrote:
TayBluetooth wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hi Taybluetooth,

Many thanks

B
Hello!

Ozzy
Thanks Ozzy, that’s much appreciated. Hope things are moved along in the right direction for you soon.

I had just looked out today what politicians have raised concerns with the process before. Frankie Feighan from Fine Gael has taken forward concerns before so I’m going to email him about time taken with my application and that of many others were there has been a request for additional documents.

Thanks again,

B
Hi everyone,

Update on my side from my correspondence with them.

"Dear Mr XXXXX,

On behalf of the Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mr Micheál Martin TD, I wish to refer to your correspondence regarding the application for Foreign Birth Registration (FBR)/ xxxxxx of xxxxxx.

I have been informed by the FBR team that this application has been partially processed, and that additional documentation required to complete processing of this application had been requested from the applicant on 23 March. Documentation was received on 3 July, and this application can be processed further. "

This however confused me as I know my documentation was recieved by the office on the 11th of April. I followed it up with this question and recieved this reply.

"From experience, the date on which documents are received and when they are checked differ. It's part of a process. I accept it's not ideal or that quick but I've little control over it, we can only really request that the application is expedited."

So I guess I am hoping that my application will be moved a bit faster slightly but I am doubtful, praying nothing else goes wrong with it :/

Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by 1001 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:31 pm

Just received my address confirmation request last week, July 24 2023!

Originally submitted app: November 2021
Additional doc request Dec 2022.

Feels like we’re finally getting somewhere!!

ammadr83
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by ammadr83 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:29 pm

HI,

my question is I forgot to download the application. I received the email with the payment receipt.
how to get an application download link

Bmcg
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Bmcg » Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:17 pm

TayBluetooth wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:45 pm
Bmcg wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:12 pm
Ozzy1986 wrote:
Bmcg wrote:
TayBluetooth wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hi Taybluetooth,

Many thanks

B
Hello!

Ozzy

Thanks again,

B
Hi everyone,

Update on my side from my correspondence with them.

"Dear Mr XXXXX,

On behalf of the Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mr Micheál Martin TD, I wish to refer to your correspondence regarding the application for Foreign Birth Registration (FBR)/ xxxxxx of xxxxxx.

I have been informed by the FBR team that this application has been partially processed, and that additional documentation required to complete processing of this application had been requested from the applicant on 23 March. Documentation was received on 3 July, and this application can be processed further. "

This however confused me as I know my documentation was recieved by the office on the 11th of April. I followed it up with this question and recieved this reply.

"From experience, the date on which documents are received and when they are checked differ. It's part of a process. I accept it's not ideal or that quick but I've little control over it, we can only really request that the application is expedited."

So I guess I am hoping that my application will be moved a bit faster slightly but I am doubtful, praying nothing else goes wrong with it :/
Nice one TB, that’s sound promising though, thanks for that, Good Luck, fingers crossed it all clicks into place.

Thanks again,

B

ammadr83
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by ammadr83 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:17 pm

HI,

my question is I forgot to download the application. I received the email with the payment receipt.
how to get an application download link

ev255
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by ev255 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:08 pm

Hey can someone recommend a lawyer to attest family estrangement. I've heard that the lawyer needs to be irish, and maybe can only attest in person?
I'm happy to visit/move to ireland to finish the last part of this process.
Currently residing in elsewhere but is OK, but obvs takes some planning involved.
I havent googled lawyers about this yet, as havent finished workday.

btw, I also heard its just best to resubmit everything or at least the application form with the Estrangement documentation from the lawyer, and the lawyer needs to witness passport again.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:17 pm

ev255 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:08 pm
Hey can someone recommend a lawyer to attest family estrangement. I've heard that the lawyer needs to be irish, and maybe can only attest in person?
Currently residing in elsewhere but is OK, but obvs takes some planning involved.

btw, I also heard its just best to resubmit everything or at least the application form with the Estrangement documentation from the lawyer, and the lawyer needs to witness passport again.
Members are not permitted to post or recommend information about solicitors
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:49 pm

ev255 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:08 pm

As pointed out, what you are requesting is not allowed but also I dont think necessary. With a document of estrangement you write out the statements of facts as you know them to be true, then present the document to a Notary Public or solicitor who will witness you signing that document swearing/attesting to its veracity.

mr-grn
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mr-grn » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:46 pm

Hi all - I'm please to share that my FBR journey came to a conclusion today. That's all for now - at least until I have another kid and need to go through it all again :lol:

Application submitted - 26th August 2022
Documents received email - 5th October 2022
Address check email - 17th July 2023
Congratulations email - 25th July 2023
FBR certificate received - 3rd August 2023

I've updated the spreadsheet. Good luck to everyone still waiting for their updates!

Robbiekeane
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Robbiekeane » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:45 pm

Robbiekeane wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:11 pm
Hi all. Big thanks to everyone who has posted I’m a long time lurker.

I applied last September and just got a clarification email from the embassy saying they need evidence of accountancy qualification from the person who certified/notarised/witnesses my scan of my passport and my fathers passport and my photos.

The problem is, this person is being very unresponsive (he no longer works at the same place as me) and when he has responded it’s been very vague and I have a bad feeling he’s no longer a CPA member or something. I’m concerned I’m not going to get the evidence required (although haven’t written it off completely yet).

Does anyone know what the timing impact would be if I just got new copies and photos certified and sent them off? Could I scan these and send them via email (the person asking for the evidence of qualification asked me to scan the evidence and send it through to an email address), or would I have to send hard copies and likely set the clock back months?

Can’t believe this is the piece where I’ve come unstuck…absolutely gutted
Any thoughts on the above anybody?

MrsMary
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by MrsMary » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:58 pm

MrsMary wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:45 pm
MrsMary wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:40 pm
My timeline:

Online application submitted: 24-Sept-2022
Documents received by FBR: 7-Oct-2022
Address check: 19-July-2023

Application is based on parent's FBR before child was born.
Congrats email saying cert has been printed and posted: 27-July-2023
Cert received in USA Aug 3. Spreadsheet updated.

analib
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by analib » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:28 pm

HI All,

My FBR journey so far, confusing at best. Has anyone received the address check email and not received the congratulation email nor had their original documents returned? It's been nearly 3 months since I have received the address check email and asked if they could change my address, I received no response to the email with the new address with several follow-ups - including via the hotline and urgent email (it doesn't sound like anyone ever receives a response from the email). When I responded to the address check I responded to the email sent - is this the right way or is there another email I missed? Thinking my application has been lost in the abyss - anyone got a way of contacting DFA?

Team 2
Application ready since 2020 but office not open due to pandemic
Application submitted - 20th November 2021
Documents received email - 26th November 2021
Request for more documentation - 20th December 2022
Address check email - 15th May 2023
Congratulations email -
FBR certificate received -

climbpear29
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by climbpear29 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:19 pm

Hey,

Update from me:

Applied Jun 22
Docs Received 05 Oct 22
Address Check 19 Jul 23
Approved 04 Aug 23
Now in certificate queue for 2-3 weeks

I found it odd that people who were address checked before and after me in July received further info within a week (and some have their certs already). Having responded within minutes to my address check on 19th July I'd heard nothing for over 2 weeks.

Today I re-emailed entitlementprocessing asking if my response to address check had been received because it'd been a few weeks and most seemed to hear further within a week. Got a reply within an hour from the same person as previous saying I'm now approved and in the printing queue (with tracking number) and that I'll receive an email once despatched.

Pure speculation but I wonder whether they processed my response but I was in the print queue and would typically have just heard when despatched.

Or if my response to Wendy in the processing queue had just been overlooked the first time (it was within minutes of receipt) and this caught it. I assume it would have been followed up or caught later but who knows when.

Maybe worth anyone else who responded to address check more than 2 weeks ago and hasn't heard to just follow up on the entitlement processing address. I wasn't pushy about whenI'd get it, merely re-forwarded my original response and asked them to confirm it'd been received ok.

Anyway good news that I've been approved. Mine was a case where my Dad's first name on BC was Shaun, but Sean on all other docs with no official name change. I provided no further explanation or cover, and it wasn't challenged.

AussieBiscuithead
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by AussieBiscuithead » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:26 am

analib wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:28 pm
HI All,

My FBR journey so far, confusing at best. Has anyone received the address check email and not received the congratulation email nor had their original documents returned? It's been nearly 3 months since I have received the address check email and asked if they could change my address, I received no response to the email with the new address with several follow-ups - including via the hotline and urgent email (it doesn't sound like anyone ever receives a response from the email). When I responded to the address check I responded to the email sent - is this the right way or is there another email I missed? Thinking my application has been lost in the abyss - anyone got a way of contacting DFA?

Team 2
Application ready since 2020 but office not open due to pandemic
Application submitted - 20th November 2021
Documents received email - 26th November 2021
Request for more documentation - 20th December 2022
Address check email - 15th May 2023
Congratulations email -
FBR certificate received -
Thanks for sharing your timeline, as I'm very interested in the time between Request for more documentation and Address check email. Over four months has passed since they received my additional documentation, your timeline indicates less than 5 months. Hopefully I receive address check soon.

Best,
AussieBiscuit

jimmygiii
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by jimmygiii » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:41 pm

Here is an update:

Application submitted - 26/September/2022
Documents received email - 04/October/2022
Processing fee email - 10/July/2023
Address check email - 11/July/2023
Congrats email - 20/July/2023
FBR cert/docs received - 03/Aug/2023

The US postal service did not ask for a signature. They just put it in my mailbox even though on the front of the envelope said signature required. I am glad as I was not home when it was delivered and I did not want to try to hunt it down at the post office. This week I will be assembling everything to apply for my Passport. I am hoping to mail everything off next week. I will continue to update that process here as well.
Thanks!