ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

martine313
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by martine313 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:13 pm

Hi! Thank you for sharing your documents journey. Did you have any issues regarding customs on the Irish side? My post office gave me a heads up that there may be a customs fee that the receiver has to pay (in my case - both the PO boxes for passport application and FBR), and cannot be paid by the sender. A little worried about this.
Coachman wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:26 pm
Sharing timeline for anyone applying for Irish Passport from USA after receipt of FBR certificate. 21 days from documentation mailed to received in Passport office. Most of the duration was the wonderful journey my package took through the USA Hubs/Distribution/Customs before leaving for Ireland. Received starts the turnaround clock for Passports -> Currently posted as average of 20 working days. So, might receive passport within 30 days from now.

Applied online: June 27 2023
Documents mailed from USA via registered mail: June 29 2023
Departed USA: July 12 2023
Arrived Dublin: July 13 2023
Delivered to Passport office: July 19 2023.

Best wishes to all.

Coachman
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Coachman » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:06 pm

martine313 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:13 pm
Hi! Thank you for sharing your documents journey. Did you have any issues regarding customs on the Irish side? My post office gave me a heads up that there may be a customs fee that the receiver has to pay (in my case - both the PO boxes for passport application and FBR), and cannot be paid by the sender. A little worried about this.
Coachman wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:26 pm
Sharing timeline for anyone applying for Irish Passport from USA after receipt of FBR certificate. 21 days from documentation mailed to received in Passport office. Most of the duration was the wonderful journey my package took through the USA Hubs/Distribution/Customs before leaving for Ireland. Received starts the turnaround clock for Passports -> Currently posted as average of 20 working days. So, might receive passport within 30 days from now.

Applied online: June 27 2023
Documents mailed from USA via registered mail: June 29 2023
Departed USA: July 12 2023
Arrived Dublin: July 13 2023
Delivered to Passport office: July 19 2023.

Best wishes to all.
No Issues

analib
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by analib » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:20 pm

I'm frankly shocked AussieBiscuit that you received a response from the entitlement processing email, I've responded to questions they've asked and tried to follow-up and they haven't responded to me ever in the years I've been doing my application?! Lastly tried to followup to make sure they had accepted my address change in the address check stage after not receiving my original documents back after 3 months....
AussieBiscuithead wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:26 am
analib wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:28 pm
HI All,

My FBR journey so far, confusing at best. Has anyone received the address check email and not received the congratulation email nor had their original documents returned? It's been nearly 3 months since I have received the address check email and asked if they could change my address, I received no response to the email with the new address with several follow-ups - including via the hotline and urgent email (it doesn't sound like anyone ever receives a response from the email). When I responded to the address check I responded to the email sent - is this the right way or is there another email I missed? Thinking my application has been lost in the abyss - anyone got a way of contacting DFA?

Team 2
Application ready since 2020 but office not open due to pandemic
Application submitted - 20th November 2021
Documents received email - 26th November 2021
Request for more documentation - 20th December 2022
Address check email - 15th May 2023
Congratulations email -
FBR certificate received -
Thanks for sharing your timeline, as I'm very interested in the time between Request for more documentation and Address check email. Over four months has passed since they received my additional documentation, your timeline indicates less than 5 months. Hopefully I receive address check soon.

Best,
AussieBiscuit

Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by 1001 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:33 pm

1001 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:31 pm
Just received my address confirmation request last week, July 24 2023!

Originally submitted app: November 2021
Additional doc request Dec 2022.

Feels like we’re finally getting somewhere!!
Yessss! Just received my congratulations email today Aug 10! I’m officially an Irish Citizen! Just waiting for the certificate to arrive now so I can file for a passport!

Mrsjcwilliams72
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mrsjcwilliams72 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:18 pm

HarleyQ wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 8:40 pm
Related to adoption of parent: Court Order for Adoption (Adoption Order)

I hope someone can help as I have had a look through the search function but I am looking for a more direct answer in relation to requesting Court Order for Adoption.

I am applying through my Irish Born Grandfather who adopted my mother where the adoption took place in Wales where they resided, I had requested the adoption certificate but I overlooked the order as part of my document package.

Does anyone know what the process of requesting this is as I have been trying to look things up but my search terms on google seem to pull through information relating to starting an adoption order, not requesting the information related to one from the 1960s!

Positive Side Note: The prediction of current timescales was accurate so I am super impressed with how the FBR are speeding through the applications now, just kicking myself for missing a document! :oops:
Sibling Applications sent together:
Application 1 Date: 14th October 2021
Application 2 (sister) Date: 23rd February 2022
Document Acknowledgement: 25th August 2022
Request for Additional Information (Court Order for Adoption): 11th May 2023
Hayley I'm in exactly the same situation as you. Infact I've just sent all my documents off to FBR today then re-read everything and realised I didn't have a court order, just my mums birth certificate and new birth certificate with her adoption details I.e. my Irish grandad on it. This was in 1956 in West Yorkshire and I haven't a clue where I could get a copy of the court order to send as additional documents? I assume I could ask the registrars office where I applied for her adoption certificate from? I'm kicking myself now. I wish I'd read this before I sent everything off. Hopefully if I can find where to get a copy of the court order, I can then get this sent off as an additional document ASAP and it won't delay the process too long.

Any info you have, would be greatly appreciated 🙏 Thanks Jayne

Lekkerlisa
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by Lekkerlisa » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:32 pm

Date submited Jan 2022
Email application received 26-01-2022

I have not received any further email or anything. Currently living in Spain my son has zero rights as residencia was refused.

Should I be concerned as I have read reports of later FBR being processed.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:52 am

Lekkerlisa wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:32 pm
Email application received 26-01-2022
Is this the email about FBR receiving original documents?
Can you provide more context on your application, ie was it through you as a naturalized parent/through your mother (child's grandmother) and so on?
Lekkerlisa wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:32 pm
Currently living in Spain my son has zero rights as residencia was refused.
If your child doesn't have any other citizenship, you can ask to expedite the application.

Also, how long have you been living in Spain and did you report to the embassy about your intention to keep citizenship, if you're naturalized?
Forum member mentioned FBR application might be stalled if a person just left Ireland without reporting the intention to keep the citizenship after naturalization - while law is effectively on hold now, it may cause extra scrutiny.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

morgendorffer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by morgendorffer » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:05 am

morgendorffer wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:11 pm
morgendorffer wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:09 pm
Hello.

I just joined to add my name to the list of people waiting the long wait.
I've been reading the updates on here for ages now.

I procrastinated and procrastinated with getting all the documents required for my application. I had started before COVID, but didn't submit my online application until January 2022 and didn't send off the documents until March 2022.

I'm a bit nervous about an elongated wait as I wasn't able to get hold of a photocopy of my mum's passport due to estrangement from that whole side of the family. Way back when I first started looking into doing this I called up asking if this would be a problem and was advised to submit an application with a simple covering letter explaining the circumstances. There seems to be conflicting opinions on whether that will be actually acceptable or not on here, but that's what I did anyway.

I'm eligible through both my grandparents on my mother's side. My grandad passed away before I was born, included all the necessary documents for him. My grandma is in the care of my mum, so was not able to get a copy of her passport (which is likely expired), but submitted the rest of her documents anyway as 'extra support' - not sure if that will help or not.

I guess I'll be hearing in March 2024 sometime. Sigh.

Online Application: January 17, 2022
Documents Received: March 21, 2022
Address Confirmation: ***
Congratulations Email: ***
FBR cert received: ***
So, seeing all the updates for applications received in April/May/June made me a little impatient so I decided to email the urgent enquiries inbox to see where they were with my application... just to see if I would get a reply with an update.
A lady called me today saying they've been trying to contact me via phone/email. No missed calls, no email. Hmm. She was pretty adamant.

Anyways, they weren't happy with my own letter to say I couldn't get hold of my mum's photo ID so they want me to organise an affidavit which I'm happy to do.

Progress at least for now.
Finally got an update... address confirmation email received today.
My affidavit was received at the end of March so it has been a bit of a wait.

Additional Document Received: March 23, 2023
Address Confirmation: 14 August, 2023

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:45 am

Mrsjcwilliams72 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:18 pm

Hayley I'm in exactly the same situation as you. Infact I've just sent all my documents off to FBR today then re-read everything and realised I didn't have a court order, just my mums birth certificate and new birth certificate with her adoption details I.e. my Irish grandad on it. This was in 1956 in West Yorkshire and I haven't a clue where I could get a copy of the court order to send as additional documents? I assume I could ask the registrars office where I applied for her adoption certificate from? I'm kicking myself now. I wish I'd read this before I sent everything off. Hopefully if I can find where to get a copy of the court order, I can then get this sent off as an additional document ASAP and it won't delay the process too long.

Any info you have, would be greatly appreciated 🙏 Thanks Jayne
If you scroll down a few posts, I replied with an answer ;)

post2114932.html#p2114932

Check national archives, they tell you who keeps copies.

AussieBiscuithead
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by AussieBiscuithead » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:53 pm

morgendorffer wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:05 am
morgendorffer wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:11 pm
morgendorffer wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:09 pm
Hello.

I just joined to add my name to the list of people waiting the long wait.
I've been reading the updates on here for ages now.

I procrastinated and procrastinated with getting all the documents required for my application. I had started before COVID, but didn't submit my online application until January 2022 and didn't send off the documents until March 2022.

I'm a bit nervous about an elongated wait as I wasn't able to get hold of a photocopy of my mum's passport due to estrangement from that whole side of the family. Way back when I first started looking into doing this I called up asking if this would be a problem and was advised to submit an application with a simple covering letter explaining the circumstances. There seems to be conflicting opinions on whether that will be actually acceptable or not on here, but that's what I did anyway.

I'm eligible through both my grandparents on my mother's side. My grandad passed away before I was born, included all the necessary documents for him. My grandma is in the care of my mum, so was not able to get a copy of her passport (which is likely expired), but submitted the rest of her documents anyway as 'extra support' - not sure if that will help or not.

I guess I'll be hearing in March 2024 sometime. Sigh.

Address Confirmation: ***
So, seeing all the updates for applications received in April/May/June made me a little impatient so I decided to email the urgent enquiries inbox to see where they were with my application... just to see if I would get a reply with an update.
A lady called me today saying they've been trying to contact me via phone/email. No missed calls, no email. Hmm. She was pretty adamant.

Anyways, they weren't happy with my own letter to say I couldn't get hold of my mum's photo ID so they want me to organise an affidavit which I'm happy to do.

Progress at least for now.
Finally got an update... address confirmation email received today.
My affidavit was received at the end of March so it has been a bit of a wait.

Additional Document Received: March 23, 2023
Address Confirmation: 14 August, 2023
Thanks for the timeline details! Was the additional documents received confirm in an email or by tracking post?

I had to submit additional documents which was received on 21st March 2023, but that's from international tracking and not confirmed in an automated email.

Best,
AussieBiscuit

TotnesCharly
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by TotnesCharly » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:39 pm

Application submitted - 30/September/2022
Documents received email - 18/October/2022
Processing fee email - 10/August/2023
Address check email - 10/August/2023

:D

ukhun
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ukhun » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:18 pm

Just a note to say thanks to everyone who has added information to the Google sheets tracker! Otherwise I would have had no idea about the current timelines for hearing back from my application..

Thanks! :D :D :D

Vincent10z
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Vincent10z » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:12 pm

I just sent my documents in 2 days ago, I have every single document requested and have had my notary confirm all 3 passport photos as true copies of the original with stamp and signature along with 2 of my pictures, and FBR application.

I seemed to have looked over including the application number on the signed, sealed, and dated items, how big of a deal is this?

Sgahogan
Newly Registered
England

Post by Sgahogan » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:18 am

Hi Guys,

New member here just looking for some advice as I can’t quite work it out on the official site.

I am born in the UK to English born parents however, my grandfather (now deceased) was born in Ireland. Therefore, it’s my understanding I am eligible to be put into the FBR and then obtain a passport.

My problem is, for the last 6 years I have been completely estranged from my father (not my choice) to the point I don’t know where he is or how to contact him. It was my fathers father who was born in Ireland.

I am able to obtain all documents for my Irish born grandfather and can obviously provide my own. I am really confused about what I can provide for my father?

My mother has their marriage certificate but that’s it. I have no access to his birth certificate or passport.

Therefore, my question is can I still apply? And if so, what do I provide instead?

Many thanks in advance, I’ve found this to be incredibly stressful!

Kind Regards :)

chriswickstead
European Union

Post by chriswickstead » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:17 am

Hi,

Commenting on how to get a UK birth certificate:

Birth Certificates are public documents so anyone can order any birth certificate technically, although you will be asked why you want it. (I ordered my own father's birth certificate online from Plymouth Council recently.) If you know your father's place of birth you can direct yourself to the relevant council website to order documents. And then at least his name at birth plus DOB (the year of DOB as minimum for Plymouth Council as an example). I think you should be able to get all that info from the marriage certificate if you don't know already. you should be ok to do all online and have posted to you.
hope that helps and good luck.

morgendorffer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by morgendorffer » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:29 pm

Sgahogan wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:18 am
Hi Guys,

New member here just looking for some advice as I can’t quite work it out on the official site.

I am born in the UK to English born parents however, my grandfather (now deceased) was born in Ireland. Therefore, it’s my understanding I am eligible to be put into the FBR and then obtain a passport.

My problem is, for the last 6 years I have been completely estranged from my father (not my choice) to the point I don’t know where he is or how to contact him. It was my fathers father who was born in Ireland.

I am able to obtain all documents for my Irish born grandfather and can obviously provide my own. I am really confused about what I can provide for my father?

My mother has their marriage certificate but that’s it. I have no access to his birth certificate or passport.

Therefore, my question is can I still apply? And if so, what do I provide instead?

Many thanks in advance, I’ve found this to be incredibly stressful!

Kind Regards :)
You can easily get hold of your father's birth certificate... if you don't know, I'm sure your mother will know his date of birth. Once you have that, follow the advice here and then you can order a copy of his birth certificate.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/faq.asp

Obviously you won't be able to get hold of his state ID so you'll need to provide an affidavit signed by a notary that explains why you can't get copy of it. A notary in or near your area will be easy to find on Google and they can explain what the document would need to include, etc.

morgendorffer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by morgendorffer » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:31 pm

AussieBiscuithead wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:53 pm

Thanks for the timeline details! Was the additional documents received confirm in an email or by tracking post?

I had to submit additional documents which was received on 21st March 2023, but that's from international tracking and not confirmed in an automated email.

Best,
AussieBiscuit
By tracking post.

AussieBiscuithead
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by AussieBiscuithead » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:05 pm

morgendorffer wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:31 pm
AussieBiscuithead wrote:

Best,
AussieBiscuit
By tracking post.
Ok thanks for sharing that. Hopefully ill have my address check soon!

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:21 pm

Sgahogan wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:18 am
you can search the GRO index online using your parents marriage certificate info. Your fathers name, age & name of his father will be on it. If your father was 25 on the certificate you just count back 25 years when searching birth records (with his mothers maiden name also should help narrow it down).
I hadnt spoken to my parent also in 18 years so the detective work required before hand was quite stressful I know. Your affidavit should simply state who you are and that you are not able to obtain a current photo ID for the estranged parent.

ennbee66
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ennbee66 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:23 pm

I submitted my application in December 2022,and based on a phone call I had with the helpline, I didn't include marriage certificates (everything is being done through the paternal side, so no name changes). I am expecting to hear something in the next month or so. What I am wondering is, is it possible to submit additional documents that can catch up with my main application before it is actually looked at? Given the information that I have read, I wish I had sent marriage certificates just in case and am considering sending them now. Thank you

Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by 1001 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:48 am

1001 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:33 pm
1001 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:31 pm
Just received my address confirmation request last week, July 24 2023!

Originally submitted app: November 2021
Additional doc request Dec 2022.

Feels like we’re finally getting somewhere!!
Yessss! Just received my congratulations email today Aug 10! I’m officially an Irish Citizen! Just waiting for the certificate to arrive now so I can file for a passport!
Annnnnnd she just came in the mail today, 11 days later! It’s official lads! 🍻

SeanM
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by SeanM » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:40 pm

I have applied for my younger daughter who will shortly start the last year of her degree in the UK but plans to study in Ireland for her Masters.

As I am fairly new to this i took to reading the posts and it has made me far more aware and made sure i gave a lot of thought to the application. I was pretty thorough and made a signing checklist and made sure every piece of the application was signed, stamped etc. I even had to send my daughter back in twice to see her college principal as things were not signed and or stamped.

Second was her UK passport it was in date at the time of the application and we also sent a copy of her driving licence as the passport will likely expire during the process as it runs out in November 2023.

The good news is my Irish passport arrived yesterday after having to finally send my UK passport as proof of ID. In my daughters FBR app,ication i added a covering letter with my passport application number as it could do no harm.

Took a while to track down my parents birth certificates as my mum could not find hers but eventually said she could find my father's!!

Application was finally sent on the 23rd June 2023 when my birth certificate and my father's were returned along with marriage certificates from my passport application.

We have the tracked receipt of the FBR documents in Duublin on the 29th June.

My daughter received an e-mail confirming receipt around the 10th July so I am now guessing it is a waiting game.

Hoping this is a simple application and that it will be approved in good time for her masters application.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:16 pm

If passport is valid when you set the application, it should be fine.

I don't think Irish citizenship would have any effect on Master's (assuming she's got British nationality), by the way.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

ferocious12

Post by ferocious12 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:42 pm

meself2 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:16 pm
If passport is valid when you set the application, it should be fine.

I don't think Irish citizenship would have any effect on Master's (assuming she's got British nationality), by the way.
I agree with you. Under the MoU between UK & Ireland, citizens of both countries have same rights in both countries as if it is one country

TayBluetooth
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by TayBluetooth » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:34 pm

AussieBiscuithead wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:05 pm
morgendorffer wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:31 pm
AussieBiscuithead wrote:

Best,
AussieBiscuit
By tracking post.
Ok thanks for sharing that. Hopefully ill have my address check soon!
I submitted mine about the same as AussieBiscuit so hopefully will hear about mine in a few weeks too.