ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

request abot for ARD and Section 4L

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

meeranmo
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

British overseas citizen how to get ROA,ILR or full citizenship

Post by meeranmo » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:26 pm

Hi I am a British overseas citizens passport holder I recently obtained this from India based on my father status he was boc who got the same from Malaysia in 1956 as a cukc his last passport says he was a boc with subject to control immigration act 1971 ,I am also having same endorsement in my boc passport,I would like to settle and work in uk , what are the ways available,once I acquired this passport I lost my Indian citizenship currently I am stateless
Kindly guide me

secret.simon

Re: British overseas citizen how to get ROA,ILR or full citizenship

Post by secret.simon » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:18 am

Being a British Overseas Citizen may not give you any advantage over being an Indian citizen when it comes to moving to the UK. A BOC is subject to the same restrictions on living in the UK that an Indian citizen would be.

When and where were you born? When did you apply for and when did you receive a BOC passport?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

meeranmo
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by meeranmo » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:13 am

Hi thanks for your reply I was born in India June 1982,I applied the boc passport on 1st September 22 and I received the same September 23
Pls guide me if there is any options to settle in uk

meeranmo
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by meeranmo » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:14 am

I applied from India and received it from India through VFS

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:31 am

There's no automatic settlement route: https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nat ... as-citizen
Quote:
"Rights as a British overseas citizen
You can:

hold a British passport
get consular assistance and protection from UK diplomatic posts
Unless you’re also a British citizen:

you’re still subject to immigration controls - you do not have the automatic right to live or work in the UK
you are not considered a UK national by the European Union (EU)"
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:59 am

You would need to find a visa you qualify for that leads to settlement after 5 years, ie a skilled worker visa through a sponsoring employer.

There is no special concession for you. You are treated the same as any other non british immigrant.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

meeranmo
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by meeranmo » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:05 am

Ohh my god based on this I lost my Indian citizenship and they told me not do any work or business here in India I don't know what can I do for this,I came getting sponsorship is not easy thing

meeranmo
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by meeranmo » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:28 pm

dear friends pls clarify me for the below points

if possible can i apply leave to remain stateless?
If possible can i apply citizenship under section 4 B
If possible can i apply UKF
If possible can i apply ROA

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:21 pm

meeranmo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:28 pm
dear friends pls clarify me for the below points

If possible can i apply citizenship under section 4 B
I assume you're not in the UK now; if you do decide to go stateless, you'll most likely be treated as stateless according to the law of the country where you're located (I assume India).

As stated above, you cannot go for ROA solely on your BOC passport.

I'm not sure about 4B - law (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/19 ... -c20369811 ) reads:
A person to whom this section applies shall be entitled to be registered as a British citizen if—
(a)he applies for registration under this section,
(b)the Secretary of State is satisfied that the person does not have, apart from the status ul in subsection (1), any citizenship or nationality, and
(c)the Secretary of State is satisfied that the person has not after [F4the relevant day] renounced, voluntarily relinquished or lost through action or inaction any citizenship or nationality
and you lost your Indian citizenship, so it doesn't work? Bur I might be reading it wrong - I'm not an expert.

I'll leave it up to better knowledgeable people to give proper advice, but from my quick overview, there's no special way for you to move to UK - all ways available are same as for Indian citizens.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

meeranmo
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by meeranmo » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 pm

Yes I am in India

If come to uk search for a job once I get sponsorship can I switch work permit inside uk?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:30 pm

meeranmo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 pm
Yes I am in India

If come to uk search for a job once I get sponsorship can I switch work permit inside uk?
On what basis do you plan to come to UK?

You cannot just travel to UK with your current passport. You need a visa.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

meeranmo
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by meeranmo » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:39 pm

No I can travel to uk and stay upto 6 months,but I can't work or live more than 6 months as per this passport

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:49 pm

You can come as a tourist without a visa but I don't think you are allowed to look for work if you are here as a tourist.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:57 pm

I would say that, right now, you are in a considerable amount of what the French would call "la merde". Mostly of your own making.

Right now, you have no right to reside or work in either the UK or India. I think, at the very least, since you are still in India, you should look at applying for OCI (Overseas Citizenship of India). That will at least give you a roof over your head.

Secondly, are there any spouse or children involved in your loss of Indian citizenship?

Now to answer some of your questions.
meeranmo wrote:
By definition, you do not have RoA in the UK. When you were born, you inherited CUKC status from your father. However, neither he nor you had RoA in the UK, which, at the time, only applies to CUKCs who were either born, registered or naturalised in the UK itself (and not a colony) or their parent or grandparent was born, registered or naturalised in the UK itself (and not a colony).

As Big Ben rang in 1st Jan 1983, CUKCs with RoA became British citizens, while CUKCs without RoA became British Overseas Citizens (BOCs). The definitional difference between the two was lack of RoA in the latter. Therefore, as your father and you had CUKC but not RoA status on that date, both of you became BOCs and not British citizens.

Ergo, you don't have RoA. The only way now to acquire RoA after 1st January 1983 is to become a British citizen through naturalisation or registration.
meeranmo wrote:
No. Form UKF applies to children born abroad before 2007 to unmarried British citizen fathers, who could not inherit British citizenship from their unmarried fathers because their parents were not married.

As you have been issued a BOC passport, you did inherit CUKC status from your father and therefore almost certainly your parents were married before your birth. And in any case, your father is not a British citizen. So Form UKF is not an option.
meeranmo wrote:
If possible can i apply citizenship under section 4B
I concur with @meself2, that because you voluntarily made yourself stateless by applying for a BOC passport, Section 4B does not apply to you.
Caseworker guidance: Registration as a British citizen: other British nationals wrote:(Page 33)
Renouncing, voluntarily relinquishing or losing by action or inaction another citizenship or nationality
If applicants have declared that they had another citizenship or nationality but renounced it or otherwise lost it, we will need to see evidence of renunciation or loss.

This is because an applicant who renounced, voluntarily relinquished or lost through action or inaction any other citizenship or nationality after 4 July 2002 (or, if the applicant is a British national (overseas) BN(O, 19 March 2009) would not be entitled to registration.

It is not relevant whether an applicant was, or claims to have been, unaware that any action or inaction on his part would lead to the loss of the other citizenship or nationality. The mere fact that this action or inaction led to the loss means that there is no registration entitlement.

Therefore, applicants will not be eligible for registration if, after 4 July 2002 or 19 March, a BN(O) they either:
• renounced that other citizenship or nationality (or voluntarily gave it up by some other active process equivalent to renunciation)
• lost another citizenship or nationality as a direct consequence of their obtaining or applying for a British passport
• lost another citizenship or nationality as a direct consequence of their failure to give up a British passport or renounce:
o British overseas citizenship
o British subject status
o British protected person status
You application for a BOC passport would of course be something that the Home Office will be able to see. And if it post-dates 4 July 2002, you are not eligible to register under Section 4B.
meeranmo wrote:
You don't need leave to remain stateless. You are stateless. And that is not a good place to be. Being a citizen of a country is the right to have rights, as I think Hannah Arendt put it. Right now, you do not have a right to be anywhere.

All that a BOC passport entitles you to is consular assistance from British diplomatic authorities outside the UK. It does not provide any rights within the UK, except that once you acquire ILR, through an appropriate immigration route (such as skilled worker or spousal visa), you would not lose it even after an absence of 2 years. Your ILR is more secure once acquired, but the pathways for you to acquire ILR are the same as those open to any other Indian citizen.
meeranmo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 pm
The norm is that you need to apply for a work visa from your country of habitual residence. But, if you are stateless, they may have to make an exception for you. But that is by no means guaranteed.

Keep in mind that the salary requirements for skilled worker visas is going up in April. And the employer needs to be licensed to hire non-British workers. Not all employers will want to go to the effort of applying for and paying for a license to hire foreigners.

I have been trying to help an electronics engineer with seven years work experience (and a 9/9 in IELTS to boot) immigrate to the UK. And even with those qualifications, there hasn't been a single interview call in the past year.

So, unless you are exceptionally skilled, I would suggest that it would be quite hard to get a job in the UK, even when you are in the UK on a visit visa.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

meeranmo
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by meeranmo » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:24 pm

Dear Simon thanks for your valuable time spent for me I am really thankful for you,as per your msg for oci I have checked Indian frro they said boc not eligible for boc also they directed me to apply x1 visa as a Indian origin,so I applied and got visa for 1 yr,

My spouse was a Indian citizen and I have 3 kids they are minor only

You mentioned about leave to remain stateless,I hope if we get leave to remain stateless initially they will give for 2.5 yrs and it will be extended to another 2.5 yrs after that ILR one year and registration for citizenship

Is it right? I hope there is a only way for me

I have gone through one article like me, one of the Malaysian citizen like me he fighted from boc to get ROA and he went to court at that time home office given this direction to get the leave to remain stateless

I hope for this application supposed to present in uk

meeranmo
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by meeranmo » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:20 pm

And I need one more suggestion as per my passport i can come to uk stay upto 6 months in mean time if get if I get sponsorship can I switch skilled workers visa inside uk?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:24 pm

meeranmo wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:20 pm
And I need one more suggestion as per my passport i can come to uk stay upto 6 months in mean time if get if I get sponsorship can I switch skilled workers visa inside uk?
No you cannot switch within the uk if you are in the uk as a visitor which is why you will be.

You won’t be able to rent or work at all on your BOC passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:13 pm

I had not come across a statelessness application on these forums before, so I had to research.

It is possible that you could apply to stay in the UK as a stateless person, after arriving in the UK (i.e. you can't apply from abroad).

And this application seems to be very advantageous. It is a five year visa that leads to ILR, with no fees (but you may still have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge) and you will have access to public funds (i.e. state funded benefits). Almost none of this applies to most other migrants, for whom the fees are uxorious (£1500+ per application) and who do not get access to public funds.

But there is a downside. You will be able to sponsor your family on the same terms as a British citizen, which requires you to be earning a minimum salary of at least £29,000 per annum. They will be subject to the usual fees and limitations of a spousal visa, such as no access to public funds, etc.

So it is possible that you may not be able to see your family in the UK for a few months to a few years. Plan for that before moving to the UK.

One year after you get ILR after five years of residence under the five year visa (so, at least six years in total), you will be eligible to register as a British citizen.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:17 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:13 pm
I had not come across a statelessness application on these forums before, so I had to research.

It is possible that you could apply to stay in the UK as a stateless person, after arriving in the UK (i.e. you can't apply from abroad).

And this application seems to be very advantageous. It is a five year visa that leads to ILR, with no fees (but you may still have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge) and you will have access to public funds (i.e. state funded benefits). Almost none of this applies to most other migrants, for whom the fees are uxorious (£1500+ per application) and who do not get access to public funds.

But there is a downside. You will be able to sponsor your family on the same terms as a British citizen, which requires you to be earning a minimum salary of at least £29,000 per annum. They will be subject to the usual fees and limitations of a spousal visa, such as no access to public funds, etc.

So it is possible that you may not be able to see your family in the UK for a few months to a few years. Plan for that before moving to the UK.

One year after you get ILR after five years of residence under the five year visa (so, at least six years in total), you will be eligible to register as a British citizen.
At the same time, what prevents the OP applying for an indian visa based on his indian spouse, as he has already done? The OP needs to meet both the eligibility requirements listed
Char (CR001 not Casa)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:30 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:17 pm
At the same time, what prevents the OP applying for an indian visa based on his indian spouse, as he has already done? The OP needs to meet both the eligibility requirements listed
The OP has multiple ways to apply for Indian residency, perhaps through OCI (Overseas Citizenship of India, essentially a lifelong visa), an X-visa (which the OP already has applied for and received), a time-limited visa for former (ex-?) Indian citizens and possibly also a visa based on his still Indian citizen wife.
meeranmo wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:24 pm
I have checked Indian frro they said boc not eligible for boc also they directed me to apply x1 visa as a Indian origin,so I applied and got visa for 1 yr,
They seem to have been told by Indian authorities that they are eligible only for time-limited residency, not permanent residency. And the second leg of the conditions is that "they’re unable to live permanently in any other country". So I suspect that they would meet the conditions.

While the OP can get Indian residency that way, there doesn't seem to be a straightforward way to resume Indian citizenship. I only found a way to resume Indian citizenship for children, not adults.

So the OP would still be stateless, by choice, but stateless nonoetheless.

meeranmo
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by meeranmo » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:29 am

Dear friends thanks for your valuable informations ,I am thankful to all of you,if there is any other possibility pls support me for more informations

meeranmo
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

BRITISH OVERSEAS CITIZEN CAN REGISTER FULL CITIZEN UNDER SECTION 4L

Post by meeranmo » Mon May 20, 2024 4:35 pm

BRITISH OVERSEAS CITIZEN CAN REGISTER FULL CITIZEN UNDER SECTION 4L , I WAS BORN IN INDIA 1982,MY FATHER WAS CUKC REGISTERED PERSON FROM MALAYSIA I HAVE APPLIED BOC PASSPORT AND RECIVED THE SAME IN 2023, I KNOW ABOUT THIS IN 2022 ONLY,AFTER RECIVED THIS I HAVE LOST MY INDIAN CITIZENSHIP AND I AM STATELESS NOW ,CAN I REGISTER FULL CITIZEN UNDER SECTION 4L,UNDER EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES ABOUT THE PERSON,SINCE MY FATHER WAS DESEASED WHEN I WAS CHILD(9YRS),SINCE I DONT KNOW ABOUT MY FATHER'S STATUS AND NATIONALITY ACTS TO APPLY BEFORE THE AGE OF 18, SO CAN I APPLY SECTION 4L FOR FULL BRITISH CITIZEN

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: BRITISH OVERSEAS CITIZEN CAN REGISTER FULL CITIZEN UNDER SECTION 4L

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 5:00 pm

If your father didn't have right to abode before 1 January 1983 you are not eligible under section 4L. I do not know if you would be eligible because you are now stateless, but not through your father's BOC status.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

meeranmo
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Re: BRITISH OVERSEAS CITIZEN CAN REGISTER FULL CITIZEN UNDER SECTION 4L

Post by meeranmo » Thu May 23, 2024 8:15 am

thanks for your support

meeranmo
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

request abot for ARD and Section 4L

Post by meeranmo » Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:29 am

Dear freinds i need some clarity about below

Form ARD and section 4L applications are same i need to apply citizenship any of the one
historical legislative unfairness
o an act or omission of a public authority
o exceptional circumstances relating to you

it is online application or application form?

i am planned to do inside applications from UK

what is the complete procedure ?

pls hel me ....