ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

investigation letter from home office.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jinbigo
Newly Registered

investigation letter from home office.

Post by jinbigo » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:23 pm

Hi experts,

got a letter form HO on 26th, below are the details. As british citizens, we are out of country and we thought we can stay howmuch ever longer we want, it seems its not true, can experts help me here please.. i am really worried about this.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our random checks in Home Office data base and your previous declartions with ,we found discrepancy in the information and intent declared to us by you.

Our records shows, you made declaration to make U.K as your permanent home while obtaining permanent U.K residency and Nationality in accordance with then immigration laws. In the various application submitted by you. You claimed to make U.K as a your permanent home.However, we found from our records that after obtaining U.K permanent residency and Nationality, you have lived outside country for most of time.

We suspect this as a breach of immigration rules and regulations under various sections and will invite prosecution,fine and imprsonment. In all immigration forms. Home Office make clear to an applicant to furnish true and factual information and warn against any deceit, false declartion and wrongful intentions.

The above matter is being investigated. You will be provided opportunities to present your case.

your faithfully,

home office member.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

sorry couldnt upload the copy as got the message board attachment quot has been reached.

Thanks,
JB

PrestonLancs

Re: investigation letter from home office.

Post by PrestonLancs » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:59 pm

How did they find out you have spent most of your time outside UK?

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:24 pm

That is too much.
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

haiksuresh
Member of Standing

Post by haiksuresh » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:27 pm

when you got your naturalization and hw long you are away from UK. so that it will helpful for others to answer your question.

Regards,
suresh

mavdi

Post by mavdi » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:28 pm

Christ almighty... Keeping you on your toes for the rest of your life. Lawyer up, as long as you can prove your intention was to stay here in the UK while you were being naturalised, I don't think they can have a case against you...

Bukola1

Post by Bukola1 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:29 pm

Please when did you summit and are you a family member or EEA or EU and pls if you don't mind what is your past immigration eastry as did you get your first residents from here or from abroad pls and if you can give more information member and I can no what to advice

tier1o

Post by tier1o » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:31 pm

Astonished!!

My understanding is; when you get PR/ILR or British citizenship; immigration rules doesn't apply to you. Not sure, how would they prosecute under immigration laws.

It is hard to believe that the letter is true, please mark sensitive information and upload letter via this link.

Thanks

Ziuta

Post by Ziuta » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:39 pm

to be honest I am not surprised. Simply you do say on your form, what country you will settle in and if you say UK you must obey the rules. I believe that UK gov is getting a bit tired of people getting UK citizenship and then moving abroad or go back to their home country. If you didn't plan to stay in UK why did you to apply for the citizenship? A bit harsh but unfortunately every single one of us is applying for our second citizenship and it will be our second nationality. British citizenship is not the expectation it is a privilege and state of mind. After recent development be prepared for more surprised like this, I think UK gov is under the pressure to act upon people like you. I'm not having a go at you personally but I sort of understand their position. As someone has said already lawer up and prepare for the hell of the ride. Good luck

PS I read somewhere that acquired citizenship might be revoked in certain circumstances.
Some of the issues were discussed here:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 50302.html
Last edited by Ziuta on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Applied: 02/06/2015
Fee deducted: 13/06/2015
Acknowledgement letter: 16/06/2015 (dated 13/06)
Biometrics: 16/06/2015
Approval: 28/11/2015

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:40 pm

This document says https://www.gov.uk/moving-or-retiring-abroad

"Your UK citizenship will not be affected if you move or retire abroad."

Now, this does not mention that anything about Naturalised British or by birth British so I am assuming, it should be applicable on both.

A quick Google search

http://expatriates.stackexchange.com/qu ... osing-uk-c

I am not an expert in this matter and would request some moderators to please give their opinion.

Thanks

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:47 pm

Ziuta wrote:to be honest I am not surprised.
Really? I am shocked.
Ziuta wrote: If you didn't plan to stay in UK why did you to apply for the citizenship?
When you apply for citizenship, you INTEND to live in UK. You are not saying "no matter what, i will live in UK" All you are saying is, My intentions are to live in UK but if and when your circumstances change you can move abroad if you wish to do so.

solospy
Member of Standing

Post by solospy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:55 pm

The original poster is not responding so that means its a load of bull****.

They have no right to ask us where we are living after we become British. I know we say in the form that we will make UK our permanent home but that doesn't mean we cant move to any other country. If they start to do that it will open a whole new can of worms with people taking Home office to court for abusing our civil rights.

gaurav76.5
Member of Standing

Post by gaurav76.5 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:01 pm

I dont know whether this letter is genuine or fake. It raises some questions like :

- Where did they sent this letter to you ? Your UK Address or to address of other country where you are living. I am failing to understand how they could find the other country address ?

- How did they establish you are staying abroad ? One way could be the passport being scanned everytime you are entering UK which basically means you are coming to UK too often.

- Were you claiming any benefits when you were staying abroad (most of the people keep on claiming child benefit even when they are not supposed to )

I do agree with solopsy they cant interfere in our civil rights to decide where are we living. As long as your immigration history is clean you dont need to be afraid of. Moreover they could be numerous situations like child education, family issues , jobs and other.
More than 90% of people move away from here to their country of origin after obtaining british passport and this wont make sense for home office to chase them up.

Ziuta

Post by Ziuta » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:05 pm

UKBALoveStory wrote:
Ziuta wrote:to be honest I am not surprised.
Really? I am shocked.

Be shocked I am not, I am not surprised at all and I bet there are many more cases like this one.
Ziuta wrote: If you didn't plan to stay in UK why did you to apply for the citizenship?
When you apply for citizenship, you INTEND to live in UK. You are not saying "no matter what, i will live in UK" All you are saying is, My intentions are to live in UK but if and when your circumstances change you can move abroad if you wish to do so.
In that case you should inform UKVI or seek the advice of changing of the circumstances to avoid the prosecution. My intention is to live in UK without any "but" (not when it is convenient) I am seeking to obtain the citizenship to be able to take full part in UK live, be able to vote and decide on the future for myself and my children.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:10 pm

Ziuta wrote: In that case you should inform UKVI or seek the advice of changing of the circumstances to avoid the prosecution. My intention is to live in UK without any "but" (not when it is convenient) I am seeking to obtain the citizenship to be able to take full part in UK live, be able to vote and decide on the future for myself and my children.
Incorrect. You are creating facts out of nowhere thats all I can say.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:12 pm

This is just great! So, after they have effectively closed the door to reunification with the elderly parents, will they start prosecuting those naturaluzed citizens who dared to leave the UK to take care of them?

caffeine

Post by caffeine » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:15 pm

Technically HO can fine you or send you to jail for max of 3 months if you knowingly lied on your form and this includes future intent. (Not sure if you can be deprived of citizenship)

If you already had plans to move abroad for more than 6 months then you need to declare them in further information and then decision will be made based on this plus other circumstances. These circumstances are clearly defined in Chapter 18.

Here - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... annexf.pdf

We don't know the full story here, maybe someone with an axe to grind reported him/her to HO and provided proof that he/she lied.

Untill jinbigo provides more information this is all hypothetical.
Received by HO : 02-04-2015
Fee deducted : 22-04-2015
Acknowledgment Email: 23-04-2015
Approval Letter : 10-10-2015

jinbigo
Newly Registered

Post by jinbigo » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:15 pm

Thanks all for your time and reply. I am going through all mails and reply you back.. meanwhile, i have uploaded the image as suggested by 1 member.. i have removed my name address and other sensitive details.

here is the link

http://s22.postimg.org/46krye1pt/IMG_2187_ll.jpg

thanks,

Ziuta

Post by Ziuta » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:16 pm

caffeine wrote:Technically HO can fine you or send you to jail for max of 3 months if you knowingly lied on your form and this includes future intent. (Not sure if you can be deprived of citizenship)

If you already had plans to move abroad for more than 6 months then you need to declare them in further information and then decision will be made based on this plus other circumstances. These circumstances are clearly defined in Chapter 18.

Here - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... annexf.pdf

We don't know the full story here, maybe someone with an axe to grind reported him/her to HO and provided proof that he/she lied.

Untill jinbigo provides more information this is all hypothetical.
Thank you

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Realistically, Home Office has to prove that you lied aboit your intentions to stay in the UK at the time of the application. However, circumstances can change. For example, one can get a good job offer abroad and move there temporariky. Who is to say this is not allowed? If this is indeed how Home Office sees it, it plainly means that naturalized citizens are second class, who are not allowed to have any international professional aspirations, nor leave the country to take care of their elderly parents.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:32 pm

If this is true in anyway then it is a big change. People do go abroad to take of parents, Job offers etc. I still don't believe it is true.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:33 pm

jinbigo wrote:Thanks all for your time and reply. I am going through all mails and reply you back.. meanwhile, i have uploaded the image as suggested by 1 member.. i have removed my name address and other sensitive details.

here is the link

thanks,
Kindly provide a scan of the letterhead & envelope.

Did 'they' use a UK address or foreign address to find you?
Was the address correct or were there any errors &/or typos in your name & address?

Does the letter quote any recognisable & valid HO reference numbers that relate to you?

What HO contact details and addresses, phone numbers/email & reference numbers (etc) are present in the letter?

The standard of English in this letter is very poor with numerous grammatical & punctuation errors.
It is structured quite poorly.
It's very hard to tell from the scan but the letterpaper looks quite flimsy too, possibly not HO letter stock.

The name of the letter writer (presumably a HO official) could be taken to be the identity of a native English speaker; in which case I'd expect a more fluent letter using better formal English.

If 'they' wrote to you by name they should have signed the letter off with "Yours sincerely" (not 'Yours faithfully').
The signature cannot be read as 'Ian Matthew' or even 'I Matthew'; ( ofcourse some signatures can just be scribbles).

Some trial Google searches of paragraphs & sentences from this letter do not come up with any hits at all. So noone in www-land has ever posted one of these letters to a website or forum before - this seems surprising.

Overall, the jury is still out on whether this is genuine.
Last edited by noajthan on Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

mavdi

Post by mavdi » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:35 pm

jinbigo wrote:Thanks all for your time and reply. I am going through all mails and reply you back.. meanwhile, i have uploaded the image as suggested by 1 member.. i have removed my name address and other sensitive details.

here is the link

thanks,
I'm calling BS. This letter looks like it was written by a 5 year old. It's a sick prank most likely.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:37 pm

I second that..
noajthan wrote:

here is the link

thanks,
Kindly provide a scan of the letterhead & envelope.

Did 'they' use a UK address or foreign address to find you?
Was the address correct or were there any errors &/or typos in your name & address?

Does the letter quote any recognisable & valid HO reference numbers that relate to you?

What HO contact details and addresses, phone numbers/email & reference numbers (etc) are present in the letter?

The standard of English in this letter is very poor with numerous grammatical & punctuation errors.
It is structured quite poorly.
It's very hard to tell from the scan but the letterpaper looks quite flimsy too, possibly not HO letter stock.

The name of the letter writer (presumably a HO official) could be taken to be the identity of a native English speaker; in which case I'd expect a more fluent letter using better formal English.

Some trial Google searches of paragraphs & sentences from this letter do not come up with any hits at all. So noone in www-land has ever posted one of these letters to a website or forum before - this seems surprising.

Overall, the jury is still out on whether this is genuine.

jinbigo
Newly Registered

Post by jinbigo » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:44 pm

@prestonlancs :- i am not sure
@suresh :- when i got naturilization, i didnt went out of country, i was in country for more than 6 months. Last 1 year, i am out of the country.
@bukola :- I got my citizenship close to 2 years back.i am a UK resident throughout, i got my PR and citizenship in UK mainland.
@tier10:- i have uploaded the photo.
@gaurav76.5 - they sent my letter to my friends address where i have given redirection of all my mails. i am not claiming any benefits

another copy of the letter as requested, i have removed details and rest all there
http://s10.postimg.org/642qb8yi1/IMG_2187_Copy.jpg

Any advices much appreciated.

Regards,
JB

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:44 pm

mavdi wrote:
I'm calling BS. This letter looks like it was written by a 5 year old. It's a sick prank most likely.
Maybe even by the user who posted it...