ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help please, before I go out of my mind!

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

JudgeyM
Newly Registered
South Africa

Help please, before I go out of my mind!

Post by JudgeyM » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:03 pm

Hello there

So I am working and do receive universal credit and housing benefits.

I have ILR. My question is I will be traveling down to South Africa soon for 12 days and just want to know if the fact I receive benefits and on ILR; would that prevent me from entering back in the UK?

This would be my first time traveling since I obtained my ILR in 2020.

Sorry for the long-winded question

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Help please, before I go out of my mind!

Post by Casa » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:17 pm

JudgeyM wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:03 pm
Hello there

So I am working and do receive universal credit and housing benefits.

I have ILR. My question is I will be traveling down to South Africa soon for 12 days and just want to know if the fact I receive benefits and on ILR; would that prevent me from entering back in the UK?

This would be my first time traveling since I obtained my ILR in 2020.

Sorry for the long-winded question

Thanks
Not at all. You're not longer under immigration control and you're overthinking this. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

JudgeyM
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by JudgeyM » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:31 pm

Thank you so much for the quick reply! I do tend to overthink things and suffer from anxiety.

The reason why I asked this question is because I read this and started panicking. Its point number (iii)

-----------------------------------------------

A person may resume their residence in the UK provided the Immigration Officer is satisfied that the person concerned:

(i) had indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom when he last left; and (ii) has not been away from the United Kingdom for more than 2 years; and (iii) did not receive assistance from public funds towards the cost of leaving the United Kingdom; and (iv) now seeks admission for the purpose of settlement (emphasis added).

Again thank you for the help

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:21 am

JudgeyM wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:31 pm
(iii) did not receive assistance from public funds towards the cost of leaving the United Kingdom;
That is to say that they left the UK on their own cost and they didn't have to be deported at taxpayer expense.

If you have ILR, presumably you were not deported at taxpayer expense.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:09 am

JudgeyM wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:31 pm
Thank you so much for the quick reply! I do tend to overthink things and suffer from anxiety.

The reason why I asked this question is because I read this and started panicking. Its point number (iii)

-----------------------------------------------

A person may resume their residence in the UK provided the Immigration Officer is satisfied that the person concerned:

(i) had indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom when he last left; and (ii) has not been away from the United Kingdom for more than 2 years; and (iii) did not receive assistance from public funds towards the cost of leaving the United Kingdom; and (iv) now seeks admission for the purpose of settlement (emphasis added).

Again thank you for the help
Presumed you were not deported before at UK government expense and the journey you are making now is not specifically from public funds/government coffers.
If yes to both questions then (iii) does not come into the picture for you.

JudgeyM
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by JudgeyM » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:01 pm

Thank you all for the help.

Just to clarify. How do I prove that even though I am working and receive universal credit and help with rent, I used my own savings to pay for my flight?

Sorry I'm just really nervous about this and I'm thinking of just not going as my anxiety is going nuts.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 pm

You don’t have to prove nothing when you return.

You are stressing about nothing.

Simply enjoy your holiday. There won’t be my issues returning. 1000s on old travel all the time.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.