ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born in UK to US parents holding ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nic22
Newly Registered

Child born in UK to US parents holding ILR

Post by nic22 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:41 am

My husband and I are both Americans, with ILR since January 2014. My daughter was born just after in February 2014. She has a US passport, but customs told us she needs a visa to get back into the UK.
We are not sure what she is eligible for - and the quickest route as we are traveling in a month!
Thanks for your help ---

nic22
Newly Registered

US Parents with ILR. Child born after in UK.

Post by nic22 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:44 am

What is my child eligible for??
My husband and I are both Americans holding ILR status. My daughter was born in the UK -- what is she eligible for, and what is the quickest way? We are traveling in a month!
Thanks for your help.... :)

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Re: US Parents with ILR. Child born after in UK.

Post by IndiMarshall » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:47 am

.. as you both have ILR status.. kid is eligible to have British citizenship.. I hope so..

not sure if there is a premium service for citizenship..check with others..

nic22
Newly Registered

MN1 form

Post by nic22 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:08 am

I have a child born in the UK, and my husband and I are both Americans with ILR.
What does baby need in order to travel back into UK? We have her passport, but customs has stated she needs a visa as well??

Obie
Ireland

Re: Child born in UK to US parents holding ILR

Post by Obie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:16 am

She is a British Citizen, so custom are wrong to say she will need a visa to enter UK.

She was born after you guys had secured ILR, and was born in the UK. Therefore she is a British Citizen.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:47 pm

From what I know, she doesn't need to apply for citizenship as she already is British since she was born after you received your ILR.
You can apply for her passport straight away.
Goodluck.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:53 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Amber
Mood:

Re: MN1 form

Post by Amber » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:30 am

As obie states the child is British under section 1(1)(b) BNA 1981. The child will either need to apply for a British Passport or a CoE in order to travel to the UK. A Certificate of Entitlement is usually quicker than a Passport. However, that cannot be guaranteed.

See https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/apply ... ntitlement
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.