ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU citizen in UK - PR or ILR under long residence?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

chimerka
Newly Registered

EU citizen in UK - PR or ILR under long residence?

Post by chimerka » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Hi, I am living and working in UK for last 11 years, I am from EU. I worry extremely what happens after Brexit. I know, naturalisation rules changed few weeks ago , so cant do that. Which do you think would be better for me to do, PR certificate or ILR for Long residency? Will any of these mean, that I wont be kicked out if UK goes out of EU? I would like to apply for ILR, but I don't have written all days I was out of country. I went out extremely rarely, in fact it was only for 10 days/year, but my passport is 6 years old and old expired passport was taken. I do have contracts and most payslips, also will have all P60 for all 10 years, but those will not say which days I was out of country. I also have doctors papers from all 10 years, I went to doctor few times/year. Bank accounts statements for last 6 years, but bank doesn't give older. How can someone know days he was on holiday 8, 9, 10 years ago? I don't get it...thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Days out of country

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:42 pm

You don't qualify for ILR based on long residence because you are an EU citizen and not in the UK under the UK immigration rules.

Apply for a document certifying permanent residence. See Apply for a document certifying permanent residence (click), this is assuming that you are a qualifying person and have exercised treaty rights for the last 5 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Re: EU citizen in UK - PR or ILR under long residence?

Post by noajthan » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:22 pm

chimerka wrote:Hi, I am living and working in UK for last 11 years, I am from EU. I worry extremely what happens after Brexit. I know, naturalisation rules changed few weeks ago , so cant do that. Which do you think would be better for me to do, PR certificate or ILR for Long residency? Will any of these mean, that I wont be kicked out if UK goes out of EU? I would like to apply for ILR, but I don't have written all days I was out of country. I went out extremely rarely, in fact it was only for 10 days/year, but my passport is 6 years old and old expired passport was taken. I do have contracts and most payslips, also will have all P60 for all 10 years, but those will not say which days I was out of country. I also have doctors papers from all 10 years, I went to doctor few times/year. Bank accounts statements for last 6 years, but bank doesn't give older. How can someone know days he was on holiday 8, 9, 10 years ago? I don't get it...thank you
Don't panic. It's PR for you (as an EEA national), which you may have automatically acquired already.

To obtain a confirmation of PR card you can demonstrate residency in UK with official letters from employer/s, tax authorities, doctor/medical authorities & etc.

Regarding absences, do the best you can from memory; months & years may be good enough.

And a SAR from UKVI may give some insights on your travels, more specifically your entry/exits via UK borders.
See https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:36 pm

How can a SAR assist an eu national to know their entry or exit, when an EEA national don't need to fill in a landing card, and they have Freemovement rights, and UKVI don't have access to flight record.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:12 pm

Obie wrote:How can a SAR assist an eu national to know their entry or exit, when an EEA national don't need to fill in a landing card, and they have Freemovement rights, and UKVI don't have access to flight record.
Does the electronic passport scanning on entry/exit not create a record for HO? Just asking out of curiosity Obie :)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:17 pm

The purpose of the passport scanning, is not to keep a record of the entrance and exit of EU citizens.

It is for verification of their travel documents and ensure they are not on the warning or no fly list.

The Entrance and exit of British and European nationals is not recorded for record purposes.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:22 pm

Perfect, thank you for clarifying Obie, much appreciated :P
Char (CR001 not Casa)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:16 pm

Obie wrote:How can a SAR assist an eu national to know their entry or exit, when an EEA national don't need to fill in a landing card, and they have Freemovement rights, and UKVI don't have access to flight record.
Data is still collected whether or not there is a physical landing card or some border official scans a passport.

Depending on the carrier and the exit point (currently, primarily airports), various electronic footprints are left as citizens travel including APIS, PNR & DCS records, credit card (used to book flight) & a traveller's egress via eGate.

As previously reported by members some of this type of footprint has appeared in a SAR (even for EEA nationals).
The footprint (however it may have been gathered & collated) may yet be sketchy but its use is growing even in UK.

Hence my suggestion to try & help this poster out in the absence of other travel records in their possession.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:20 pm

noajthan wrote:And a SAR from UKVI may give some insights on your travels, more specifically your entry/exits via UK borders.
See https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration
fyi - a similar case, ref:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1219872

Hope it works out as well for you too, to put your mind at ease.