ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit Fees

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

g722199

EEA Family Permit Fees

Post by g722199 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:36 pm

I am trying to complete an eea family permit application for my parent in Nigeria. After completing and submitting the application and signed the declaration, the system says- 'You must now book an appointment to submit your biometric data as part of your visa application'. This is at a cost of USD133 to me. Is this right? I thought eea family permit is free? Someone please clarify! Are there anyway this boimetric can be done at the uk embassy without incuring any charge?

Thanks and happy new year to all in advance

sandy88

Re: EEA Family Permit Fees

Post by sandy88 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:46 pm

hi

EEA family was free before but at present it cost £65/ applicant. Local currency can be varies according to the conversion rates.

Regards

g722199

Post by g722199 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:36 pm

sandy88 wrote:hi

EEA family was free before but at present it cost £65/ applicant. Local currency can be varies according to the conversion rates.

Regards
Thank you for your response sandy88. According to the link- https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/overview
eea family permit is fee. So how can I start the application/get an applointment without paying 133US$ for biometrics.

Thanks

sandy88

Post by sandy88 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:12 pm

Hi mate
I do not clearly understand why you are saying without pay? There is no way your parents get permit without paying the right amount. If you don't pay when you apply, the applicantion will be rejected

g722199

Post by g722199 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:47 pm

That's exactly what I need to know. The link I posted in my last message from ukba/ho says-'An EEA family permit is free.' Surely this is accurate and in line with the scope of the free movement eu directives, if it makes sense. The fee ($133) they require for boimetrics equates to £90 which is nothing close to the £65 you mentioned. Basically $133 is a fee for boimetrics which I am not will to pay at all if possible.

Has anyone applied for eea family permit recently? Please share your experience. Did you pay a any fee(visa/biometrics etc)?

sandy88

Post by sandy88 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:02 am

Good morning mate,

I have applied EEA family permit on 15/12/2015 and I have paid £65. With the application you don't have to pay for biometric enrolment.however, as part of the process home office will send you a biometric enrolment letter, and this biometric enrolment take place in a designated post office and it cost £19.20

So for one person £65+£19.20= £84.20

Hope you understand now.

But I'm not sure how system work if you apply from the U.S.. Worth contact British embassy there for more information about the process and fees .

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:43 am

sandy88 wrote:however, as part of the process home office will send you a biometric enrolment letter, and this biometric enrolment take place in a designated post office and it cost £19.20

So for one person £65+£19.20= £84.20

But I'm not sure how system work if you apply from the U.S.. Worth contact British embassy there for more information about the process and fees .
The OP is applying from Nigeria!!
g722199 wrote:I am trying to complete an eea family permit application for my parent in Nigeria.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sandy88

Post by sandy88 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:59 pm

hi

same process applies
contact British embassy in Nigeria. there will be no exemption!!

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:14 pm

Apply for an EEA family permit wrote:Fees
An EEA family permit is free.
Consistent with
12 wrote:(4) An EEA family permit issued under this regulation shall be issued free of charge and as soon as possible.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:38 pm

They should not charge.

Refunds.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

g722199

Post by g722199 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:28 pm

Thank you vinny for making things clear and for your advice.

Well I haven't paid this fee. Below is a response from ukba/ho;
Do you think I can tell them I don't need there partners services and want to deal directly with the embassy?
Thank you for contacting the UK Visas and Immigration international enquiry
service.

An EEA family permit is free of cost, however user pay services are
chargeable and must be paid for when creating appointment.

We and our commercial partners offer a range of additional services which
you may want to take advantage of. The availability and cost of these
services varies by country and is subject to.

It is recommended that you check the relevant online country page to
understand what services are available
https://www.gov.uk/find-a-visa-application-centre.

As an example, in some countries we are able to offer:
1. Priority visa processing
2. Express courier return of your passport

There is lots of useful information on the website and we strongly
recommend you take the time to read this.
https://www.gov.uk/visas-immigration.

We strongly recommend not to book prepaid travel and accommodation before
receiving the visa.

For any further details, or should you need to contact us again please
refer to our website at https://ukvi-international.faq-help.com/, select
appropriate country, click next and then select 'E-Mail form' and complete
as instructed. We will aim to come back to you within 1 day.

g722199

Post by g722199 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:51 pm

Thanks guys, I managed to find the current application under others.

Anyway, can someone please tell me I to provide applicant with a certified copy of my spouse's ID and registration certificate? UKBA require this as part of the supporting documents.
Can this documents be certified by any professional other than a solicitor?

Thanks

g722199

Post by g722199 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:31 pm

Is it also right or legal that they require the following for EEA Family Permit and how the trip is to be financed. Do I have to provide this according to EEA regulations? Particularly our bank statements. I would rather not give away such personal information if I legally don't have to.
Bank statements or bank books Showing what has been paid in and out of an account for up to the previous six
months, and naming the account holder.
Bank letter or balance certificate Showing the account balance, the account holder’s name and the date when
the account was opened.
Payslips Covering up to the previous 6 months. If your salary is paid directly into your
bank account, you should consider providing the statements showing these
payments
Tax returns (business or personal) You could include recent documents from your government tax office,
confirming your income and the amount of tax that you have paid
Business bank account statements If you include these, you may wish to explain why you are allowed to spend the
money from a business account if you are on a private visit
Evidence of income from property or
land
This could include property deeds, mortgage statements, tenancy agreements,
accountant’s letters, land registration documents or crop receipts. If the
property or land is registered in several names, you may wish to explain how
much you own. If the money earned from the land is shared, you may wish to
say how it is divided
Accommodation details
You might want to submit any of the following documents to provide us with evidence of your accommodation. This
information might also be useful in showing us that your sponsor lives in the UK. We advise that you do not make any
payments for accommodation, travel and so on until you have received your visa.
Details of accommodation and
permission for you to stay there along
with evidence of any other occupants
This could include:
¾ Land Registry documents
¾ mortgage statements
¾ rent book or tenancy agreement
¾ council tax statements
¾ accommodation details with a supporting letter from the occupant confirming
that you are able to stay there
3 VER.02 14/10/2011
Informat
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... permit.pdf

g722199

Post by g722199 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:59 am

Guys please advice. Do I have to provide all this financial details for eea family permit? Is it a requirement?

Please I await your opinion

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:13 am

Well you're going to have to show how your parent is wholly and financially dependent on you as an extended family member. Your bank statements will be required as evidence of your financial stability.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

g722199

Post by g722199 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:14 pm

Thank you casa,

That's my point, I am non eea dependant on my eea spouse for immigration purpose. Now my mother depend on me- us (spouse and I)as a family.

Now my point is why should I have to show bank statement for financial stability for an eea application?
Isn't proving financial stability irrelevant for a eea application? Just as my wife doesn't have to show financial stability as a migrant worker for me to benefit from free movement rights.
Also parent is just here on holiday.

Please advice

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:17 pm

It is required when you apply for an extended family member to prove THEIR dependency on you and how you provide that support.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

g722199

Post by g722199 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:08 pm

Thank you CR001.

Can you please point me to the regulation or case that suggest so?
My view is, surely bank statement transaction history isn't the only to show family member dependency. Is it? I can prove my parent depend on me without having a present to bank details to HO, whether that is good enough for them I don't know. I will wilfully provide my bank details to HO if it is absolution required according to regulations for eea application not because some guideline say so.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:22 pm

g722199 wrote:Thank you CR001.

My view is, surely bank statement transaction history isn't the only to show family member dependency. Is it? I can prove my parent depend on me without having a present to bank details to HO, whether that is good enough for them I don't know. I will wilfully provide my bank details to HO if it is absolution required according to regulations for eea application not because some guideline say so.
Quote from the Immigration Rules official guidance for case workers: Referring to the sponsor
They must submit:
 financial evidence of
dependency, such as:
o bank statements, or
o money transfers between
the EEA national and the extended family member whilst that extended family member was outside the UK

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _clean.pdf

You must also submit your birth certificate, your mother's birth certificate and your marriage certificate as evidence of the relationship between your wife (as the EEA citizen) and your mother as the extended family member.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:27 pm

Chapter 1, Article 2, Section 2 of Directive 2004/38/EC, that creates the law at the EU level, states
"Family member" means:
(a) the spouse;
(b) the partner with whom the Union citizen has contracted a registered partnership, on the basis of the legislation of a Member State, if the legislation of the host Member State treats registered partnerships
as equivalent to marriage and in accordance with the conditions laid down in the relevant legislation of the host Member State;
(c) the direct descendants who are under the age of 21 or are dependants and those of the spouse or partner as defined in point (b);
(d) the dependent direct relatives in the ascending line and those of the spouse or partner as
defined in point (b)
"Direct relatives in the ascending line" means parents, grandparents and if still alive, great grandparents.

You will note that while the requirements for spouse and civil partner are not qualified in any way (i.e. they get their rights just by relationship with you without any question), children/grandchildren over the age of 21 and parents/grandparents are only considered family members and gain rights under the Directive because of their dependency on the EEA citizen.

No dependency, no rights.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:32 pm

Bear in mind that as the mother-in-law of an EEA citizen, your mother is considered to be an extended family member.
(Casa, not CR001)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:39 pm

@Casa, I think that the mother-in-law of an EEA citizen will be treated as a family member if she can demonstrate dependency.
secret.simon wrote:"Family member" means:
(d) the dependent direct relatives in the ascending line and those of the spouse or partner as
defined in point (b)
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:57 pm

I'll trust your research secret.simon....
I assume the same financial evidence and proof of family connection (birth certificates etc) will still have to be submitted?

By the way, your next week's leave is now cancelled. :|
(Casa, not CR001)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:09 pm

g722199 wrote:Thank you CR001.

See this HO guidance on direct family members.
The question of dependency is addressed on page 17+

Ref: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s_v3_0.pdf
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:26 pm

Interesting to note that case law of Pedro determined ...
The court concluded that those direct family members who must show dependency on the EEA national (that is, direct descendants over 21, or dependent relatives in the ascending line) do not have to show they were dependent upon them before they came to the UK.

So, unlike extended family members, these direct family members only need to show they are dependent on the EEA national in the UK in order to be considered to be a dependent direct relative of an EEA national.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... w_v2_0.pdf
The conclusion of the judgment is that as Article 2(2) does not specify when the dependency has to have arisen there is no warrant to read into it the restriction that the family member must have been dependent in the country of origin. This interpretation accords, as the court says, with the 'policy of the Directive to strengthen and simplify the realisation of realistic free movement rights of Union citizens compatibly with their family rights'.

As a result of Pedro, the position of dependent relatives in the ascending line (and presumably for dependent relatives in the descending line as the wording in the Directive is the same) is that they simply have to show dependency as a matter of fact. The ECJ case law the status of dependent family member is the result of a factual situation characterised by the fact that material support for that family member is provided by the Community national or the spouse who has exercised free movement rights. The status of dependence does not presuppose the existence of a right of maintenance and the status is not lost if the family member claims and receives benefit.
Ref: http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/court-ap ... ascendancy

Interesting question as to whether a caseworker processing a FP application would concur.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.