ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I will not return my BRP within 5 Days.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

abdullahJ
Newly Registered

Re: I will not return my BRP within 5 Days.

Post by abdullahJ » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:14 pm

I attended my ceremony on 26th Jan, no one told me about returning the BRP. How should I know the new rule if they do not inform me!
I think this rule will not be applicable for me as I used theAN from from last October where there was no instruction about returning the BPR.

solospy
Member of Standing

Post by solospy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:44 pm

abdullahJ wrote:I attended my ceremony on 26th Jan, no one told me about returning the BRP. How should I know the new rule if they do not inform me!
I think this rule will not be applicable for me as I used theAN from from last October where there was no instruction about returning the BPR.
Do let us know when you get your £1000 fine.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:56 pm

solospy wrote:
abdullahJ wrote:I attended my ceremony on 26th Jan, no one told me about returning the BRP. How should I know the new rule if they do not inform me!
Do let us know when you get your £1000 fine.
Why not return it? It's invalid now, so of no use to you for travel. :?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

zahmed05
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Post by zahmed05 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:03 pm

Why did you guys applied for British passport if you were in madly love with your BRP :P

r2d2bruno
Newly Registered

Post by r2d2bruno » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:12 pm

abdullahJ wrote:How should I know the new rule if they do not inform me!
I think this rule will not be applicable for me
This quote reminds of so many people on the forum complaining about the dec 2014 rule change for overstayers. They too were saying this rule isn't applicable to them because they applied for citizenship before the rule change.

Your £1000 contribution to HO would be put to good use. Then you can let us know how ignorance of rule or negligence on your part helps you.

You prefer not to return your BRP, It is your decision. Please don't brag/discuss about it on a public forum leaving electronic trail.

Because you are now aware of a rule from HO, so please be a law abiding citizen and return the brp card. It is not a souvenir.

eddybaloch

Post by eddybaloch » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:01 pm

r2d2bruno wrote:
This quote reminds of so many people on the forum complaining about the dec 2014 rule change for overstayers. They too were saying this rule isn't applicable to them because they applied for citizenship before the rule change.

Your £1000 contribution to HO would be put to good use. Then you can let us know how ignorance of rule or negligence on your part helps you.

You prefer not to return your BRP, It is your decision. Please don't brag/discuss about it on a public forum leaving electronic trail.

Because you are now aware of a rule from HO, so please be a law abiding citizen and return the brp card. It is not a souvenir.
I would happily pay the fine in court if I am proven wrong. This is not about being a law abiding citizen or not, I just don't believe that this rule is applicable to me based on my understanding. No one is bragging about anything. So far I have not seen anything constructive in your post. If you refer to my initial post you will find my detailed rationale of why I believe this rule is not applicable to me. If you do not agree with my rationale, please logically refute my reasoning. instead of making uncalled for post like this.

eddybaloch

Post by eddybaloch » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:08 pm

I know a few other people like me on this forum who need to keep their BRP (even though it is no longer valid). I do not have a choice and it is a loss for me either way as I have unavoidable travel coming up. It is either this £1000 or more than £1000 in flight amendments. (Now please don't go ballistic about not booking travel and all that- you don't know my circumstances). I do not feel that I am breaking any law as I believe that this rule is not applicable to me. If HO disagrees, I would gladly pay the fine.

r2d2bruno
Newly Registered

Post by r2d2bruno » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:28 pm

eddybaloch wrote:
r2d2bruno wrote:

I would happily pay the fine in court if I am proven wrong. This is not about being a law abiding citizen or not, I just don't believe that this rule is applicable to me based on my understanding. No one is bragging about anything. So far I have not seen anything constructive in your post. If you refer to my initial post you will find my detailed rationale of why I believe this rule is not applicable to me. If you do not agree with my rationale, please logically refute my reasoning. instead of making uncalled for post like this.
eddybaloch
Not sure what made you think this post was addressed to you when I intentionally added a quote from abdullahJ.

But I agree, you have your right to take offense even when the response is not meant for you.

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:41 pm

This might be a stupid question, but why are people so adamant about keeping their BRP to travel? What's wrong with just using your original passport :?:

Waiting to be shot down with some obvious answer now :)

WR1

Post by WR1 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:46 pm

ohara wrote:This might be a stupid question, but why are people so adamant about keeping their BRP to travel when it has been superseded by Naturalistaion and the BRP card is no longer valid? What's wrong with just using your original passport :?:

Corrected that for you :D
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:54 pm

ohara wrote:This might be a stupid question, but why are people so adamant about keeping their BRP to travel? What's wrong with just using your original passport :?:

It's not about passports but it's all about visas.

People believe that, when travelling, they need to hold onto their BRP as they require this BRP as evidence of a British entry 'visa'.
That is, something to show in order to be permitted (by an airline) to board a flight back to UK.

It is not understood that, increasingly, airlines check such documents electronically and so are able to detect that a BRP is invalid.
(- as UK BRPs will be 'very soon' after the fat lady sings at a citizenship oath-taking ceremony).

So it is not as simple as waving a BRP under a check-in clerk's nose & getting waved aboard a plane.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:20 pm

Ah of course a visa, having never needed a visa in my life I didn't really think of that :?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:29 pm

ohara wrote:Ah of course a visa, having never needed a visa in my life I didn't really think of that :?
Welcome to our world.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:01 pm

ohara wrote:Ah of course a visa, having never needed a visa in my life I didn't really think of that :?
I believe that you have a Finnish passport, so I am not surprised that you are generally unaccustomed to applying for a visa.

Finnish and other Scandinavian passports have traditionally been the passports with visa-free or visa-on-arrival to most countries in the world. The UK and Canada comes at second or third place in comparative tables, with the US running in fourth or fifth position.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:27 pm

It's HO laziness that they don't change their approval letter templates by adding this information. Although it's rule now but due to HO laziness it will not be enforceable so easy. If HO not tell in writing to those applied before January version of form and council not say in writing then how can it be enforceable? It's a unorganized non-sense.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:52 pm

Ignorantia juris non excusat - Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

eddybaloch

Post by eddybaloch » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:52 pm

Hello everyone!

Update from my side:
04-02-2016: 10 Days passed since the expiry of 5 days. No fine received to date. I have received my Passport today so BRP is going back.

Yes that's correct! BRP is going back. No more 'forced ignorance' required.

mysteryteller
Newly Registered

Post by mysteryteller » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:29 pm

Seriously don't understand this attitude. Good for you if you sending it back, i dont know why moderators allow this kind of thread being created in the first place.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:38 pm

Well that has worked out for you then, which is good.

This thread will now be locked.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.