ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

National Insurance numbers and working in UK

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

John Green

National Insurance numbers and working in UK

Post by John Green » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:50 pm

I hope to bring on a spouse visa, from outside the EEA/EU, my wife to live here in the UK with me later this year.

I had an interesting chat with my local JobCentre. They said that she can apply online from the Gov.Uk website, for a national insurance number herself, in case she wants to work (being legally able to look for work as soon as she gets to the UK using the spouse visa). But they did not see any point in her going to the JobCentre, which is mainly set up for people claiming state benefits. As she cannot do this (claim benefits) for 5 years, there was little they could do.

The JobCentre said she was welcome to use their job hunting computer databases. But as these are also available in my local library, there's not much point going to the JobCentre to find help for her with work.

There are also things like the National Careers Service and language classes in my area, so she can access those for advice.

In other words, because she cannot claim benefits, it's very much a situation where she (or more likely myself) has to do the researching and finding for ourselves. I can afford to support her, but she wants to work when she lives here.

Is this experience quite typical?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: National Insurance numbers and working in UK

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:11 pm

I applied for my NI number at the Job Centre, albeit that was in 2009.

If she applies online, she might still have to attend an interview at the centre to verify her identity, but not sure.

There are numerous websites she can use to look for work and of course 'pound the pavement' in the old fashioned way and also contact employment agencies.

Suggest you focus on getting her visa and her to the UK first, then apply for NI number and once she has it, go from there. No one will even employ her or look at her paperwork if she does not have an NI number.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

John Green

Post by John Green » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:15 pm

This is the link these days:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

I think that we will have to get an Action Plan. She comes here in April on a Visitor Visa. She cannot then work, but I have a few people lined up so that she can get careers advice and a taste of a local English course (her English speaking is okay, but not enough for job hunting purposes).

When she gets the spouse visa in the autumn, she can activate these contacts. I don't think, and she has not illusions on this, that she will get a job without her CV being upgraded through these language courses and possibly some sort of retraining.

I know that there are free government training schemes, but it seems from the JobCentre that these are only available to those claiming benefits, so she would probably have to pay for anything she wants to do. The National Careers Service will advise.

I know from the information given on this forum that under the spouse visa rules, she can return to visit her family and friends outside the EU up to about 6 months in a year without questions being asked about whether she is committed to living here in the UK. Since she will undoubtably miss her home country, as you will expect (she is 52) this ability is of great importance to her. For UK citizenship, the UK residency rules are stricter (only able to leave up to 90 days in a year).

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:19 pm

John Green wrote:...

When she gets the spouse visa in the autumn, she can activate these contacts. I don't think, and she has not illusions on this, that she will get a job without her CV being upgraded through these language courses and possibly some sort of retraining.

I know that there are free government training schemes, but it seems from the JobCentre that these are only available to those claiming benefits, so she would probably have to pay for anything she wants to do. The National Careers Service will advise.

Suggest start gently with volunteering and for example, charity (shop) work.
Meet real people in a more informal and less-pressured, non-judgemental environment.

A great way to integrate, to adapt to the culture, learn the local dialect etc and also make some initial connections within the community.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:11 pm

Something to watch out for, my partner whilst on time limited visa - not sure which one, we've had so many lol, was offered a job but then the offer was withdrawn when they found out she didn't have ILR at that time.

Can't blame the company in this day and age, being cautious is very necessary when you consider the fines if they get it wrong.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

John Green

Post by John Green » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:27 pm

Good ideas to put to her. I know one UK guy whose wife, who he married over there, gave up looking for paid work in the UK after a time. There is no doubt for the average immigrant, the transition is not easy, especially from outside the EU and with no UK jobs sponsor. In his case, his wife gave up looking for work. So he supports her and they go for trips abroad regularly, he tells me.

One of the irritating thingas about the UK is that the retirement age for women here is going up to 67, in her case. Where she lives at is 57, although the pension over there is a pittance.

On the ILR question, this is something I will take up with the careers officer. It is unreasonable to not give people work until they have been here for over 2 1/2 years. There again, these days there are plenty of Zero Hours Contracts!! :lol:

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:19 am

What is your spouse's nationality?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:24 am

Amber wrote:What is your spouse's nationality?
Russian or Ukraine. OP has numerous posts on various questions Amber where we have tried to explain the processes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:51 am

CR001 wrote:
Russian or Ukraine. OP has numerous posts on various questions Amber where we have tried to explain the processes.
Hope it's not Ukraine, the Rada are discussing taxing expat Ukrainians AND THIER SPOUSES on their worldwide income, not sure of the legality of that, but something to keep an eye on.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:56 am

CR001 wrote:
Hmm. One earlier post mentioned a Romanian passport. :| http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1290303
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:26 am

Casa wrote:
CR001 wrote:
Hmm. One earlier post mentioned a Romanian passport. :| http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1290303
OP mentions her retirement age in her country is 57, so that means Moldova, Turkmenistan or Ukraine. Or Colombia.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:44 am

....and can't be Romania as she wouldn't need a Spouse visa. But then who knows....we've had a few 'red herrings' along the way. :roll:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

John Green

Post by John Green » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:44 pm

Moldova.

I was thinking of living out there in 2015, operating with my Moldovan spouse an online marriage service (we were married in Moldova - I assume the marriage is recognised in the UK). There are a lot of lovely women who live there, no doubt many of whom would love the chance to come to the "rich west" as a bride. But after meeting a Brit out there who is (so far as I know) the only permanent Brit resident in the country, we decided against it.

He tried his hand a few years ago at that business, but found it difficult to recruit enough local women who were attractive looking and strongly committed to living with a guy from western Europe and the USA. Moldova's population is low and they argued that most of the women who want to leave can use free internet sites to organise it.

The fact that Moldova is a poor country is good and bad. Good insofar as the price of basic foodstuffs and a few other things like the property taxes are low by UK standards. Getting permanent residence in Moldova is a doddle. There is very little form filling and only a few bits of information you need to give to the authorities there. But bad in that most employment is badly paid and insecure.

After discussing all this, we decided it would be better overall for us to try our luck living together here in the UK, hence my questions.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:07 pm

"difficult to recruit enough local women who were attractive looking" and "love the chance to come to the "rich west" as a bride"
Lost for words. :|
(Casa, not CR001)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:08 pm

John Green wrote:Moldova.

I was thinking of living out there in 2015, operating with my Moldovan spouse an online marriage service (we were married in Moldova - I assume the marriage is recognised in the UK). There are a lot of lovely women who live there, no doubt many of whom would love the chance to come to the "rich west" as a bride. But after meeting a Brit out there who is (so far as I know) the only permanent Brit resident in the country, we decided against it.

He tried his hand a few years ago at that business, but found it difficult to recruit enough local women who were attractive looking and strongly committed to living with a guy from western Europe and the USA. Moldova's population is low and they argued that most of the women who want to leave can use free internet sites to organise it.

The fact that Moldova is a poor country is good and bad. Good insofar as the price of basic foodstuffs and a few other things like the property taxes are low by UK standards. Getting permanent residence in Moldova is a doddle. There is very little form filling and only a few bits of information you need to give to the authorities there. But bad in that most employment is badly paid and insecure.

After discussing all this, we decided it would be better overall for us to try our luck living together here in the UK, hence my questions.
I've a friend living in Georgia, they give out 365 day visas, he's loving it there, for now, may well be going through the go-native stage after the i-hate-it-here stage....

Also I understand Moldovans have access to Schengen zone visa-free.......

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:12 pm

Casa wrote:"difficult to recruit enough local women who were attractive looking" and "love the chance to come to the "rich west" as a bride"
I agree, there's cooking skills and ironing technique to consider too ;)

*Dons flak jacket*.........

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:16 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Casa wrote:"difficult to recruit enough local women who were attractive looking" and "love the chance to come to the "rich west" as a bride"

Never mind that the prospective husband may not exactly be a George Clooney look-a-like.
(Casa, not CR001)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:32 pm

Casa wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

Never mind that the prospective husband may not exactly be a George Clooney look-a-like.
Have a look on Netflix at 'Love Me' some real mummies-boy saddo's on there, seeking Ukrainian brides, these girls are extremely attractive for most part, if a little sort on brains for the most part, the men are well, take a look, prolly on youtube too.

I can't talk tho, I'm 54, Russian partner 33 now, 42/21 when we met, still going, and I'm no George Clooney but I got shitloads of charisma, wit and charm and I can cook, wash and iron, unheard of in a man in FSU (Former Soviet Union).

Off topic again!

John Green

Post by John Green » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:54 pm

There are good things about Moldova, which is why I did seriously think of moving there and renting out my house here in the UK. I found her family and friends very supportive and especially with her family, there is a strong feeling of solidarity you get that I just don't find with my own relatives in the UK where I live. So over there, if a family member needs help, all of us gather round and do whatever we can. And my wife's friends there are also loyal.

In fact the ordinary people of Moldova so far as I know (and I don't speak either Russian or Moldovan, so truthfully I can't say I know many that well) are fine. But the running of the country is corrupt and a shambles. There is a lot of political turmoil in the place. Governments come and go quite rapidly. Worst, the economy never seems to improve. So you find that in winter, the heating bills are a problem.

Moldova wants to be part of the EU eventually. That's why citizens were given the right to travel as tourists in the Schengen Zone in 2014, I think. On the other hand, it means that Moldova does not have access to cheaper gas, of the type that Russian supplies to its friends, presumably including those in the Ukraine. But not Moldova, because of its political goal to enter the EU.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:01 pm

John Green wrote:There are good things about Moldova, which is why I did seriously think of moving there and renting out my house here in the UK. I found her family and friends very supportive and especially with her family, there is a strong feeling of solidarity you get that I just don't find with my own relatives in the UK where I live. So over there, if a family member needs help, all of us gather round and do whatever we can. And my wife's friends there are also loyal.

In fact the ordinary people of Moldova so far as I know (and I don't speak either Russian or Moldovan, so truthfully I can't say I know many that well) are fine. But the running of the country is corrupt and a shambles. There is a lot of political turmoil in the place. Governments come and go quite rapidly. Worst, the economy never seems to improve. So you find that in winter, the heating bills are a problem.

Moldova wants to be part of the EU eventually. That's why citizens were given the right to travel as tourists in the Schengen Zone in 2014, I think. On the other hand, it means that Moldova does not have access to cheaper gas, of the type that Russian supplies to its friends, presumably including those in the Ukraine. But not Moldova, because of its political goal to enter the EU.
Russia supplies gas to Ukraine under onerous terms to extort them, I'm a Russophile, but I know their agenda, and it's not good....

John Green

Post by John Green » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:16 pm

Yes, I understand. Because of the pro-west government in Kiev. My wife has a friend living there, whose English is quite good.

What we are trying to arrange is this. I bought us an apartment in Chisinau, the capital city, last year. It is a lovely place and properties are considerably cheaper there than in the UK, you will understand. The only bad thing is that heating bills are really high, which is what I was saying. I expct the Ukraine is the same situation. In winter the apartment bills are higher because of this heating problem.

At any rate, we are hoping that when my wife gets this spouse visa in the autumn, she settles down here near to Wigan, where I own my house. At the same time, as her family is still in Chisinau, and her "old" friends, I want to try to keep the Chisinau apartment going rather than to sell it. Until we more clearly decide in 2017 what we (myself and my wife) want as a permanent arrangement and whether it is affordable.

Which brings me back to the query I had about how long she needs to reside here in the UK to still adhere to the spousal visa UK residency requirements. She was relieved when I told her she can leave the UK for up to about 6 months per year without it affecting her ability to return to the UK until she later applies for IRL.

Until we decide for sure what to do in 2017, we are thinking of ways we can together (with her family still over there chipping in) keep going the Chisinau apartment without it causing financial problems for me here, since I am not a rich man.

So it's a situation that is quite complicated and not perhaps the usual one, whereby the eastern European or Russian lady spouse comes to the UK intending to remove most of her ties to the Mother Country except perhaps for the occasional visit back or through Skyping.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:29 pm

John Green wrote:Yes, I understand. Because of the pro-west government in Kiev. My wife has a friend living there, whose English is quite good.

What we are trying to arrange is this. I bought us an apartment in Chisinau, the capital city, last year. It is a lovely place and properties are considerably cheaper there than in the UK, you will understand. The only bad thing is that heating bills are really high, which is what I was saying. I expct the Ukraine is the same situation. In winter the apartment bills are higher because of this heating problem.

At any rate, we are hoping that when my wife gets this spouse visa in the autumn, she settles down here near to Wigan, where I own my house. At the same time, as her family is still in Chisinau, and her "old" friends, I want to try to keep the Chisinau apartment going rather than to sell it. Until we more clearly decide in 2017 what we (myself and my wife) want as a permanent arrangement and whether it is affordable.

Which brings me back to the query I had about how long she needs to reside here in the UK to still adhere to the spousal visa UK residency requirements. She was relieved when I told her she can leave the UK for up to about 6 months per year without it affecting her ability to return to the UK until she later applies for IRL.

Until we decide for sure what to do in 2017, we are thinking of ways we can together (with her family still over there chipping in) keep going the Chisinau apartment without it causing financial problems for me here, since I am not a rich man.

So it's a situation that is quite complicated and not perhaps the usual one, whereby the eastern European or Russian lady spouse comes to the UK intending to remove most of her ties to the Mother Country except perhaps for the occasional visit back or through Skyping.
I can only go off my partners (Russian) situation, she's cut off most of her Russian ties apart from her family, generally too corrupt, and let's face it, too shit. I love Russia don't get me me wrong, and ordinary people are great, but the country is bent out of all shape, but the Gov, Putin etc, all corrupt, the infrastructure is like 1930's it's nice for a visit but after several long visits there - I've had my fill...

John Green

Post by John Green » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:11 pm

Whern I formulated a plan to live in Moldova, I thought that the fact that relative to the ordinary Moldovan, I was quite well off would protect me from all the troubles and problems of the place. Not true. Many people there work illegally to avoid paying taxes (perhaps like Ukraine) since they simply can't afford to pay taxes on the low incomes they receive. On the other hand, if they are laid off they cannot claim what meagre state benefits there are available. So I know what you mean. Materially, the region is not really somewhere to live a happy life, in my opinion (though I know one or two ex Brits running a business or two in Kharkov).

However, my wife says that money isn't everything, and she has strong emotional and family ties still there that I am trying to accommodate. I think the situation is that she will try (as she says) to fit in here, near to Wigan with me. But she also definitely wants to keep open her ties to Moldova, because of her sentimental feeling towards the place.

I think that she is right when she says that the ordinary people in these countries are more the "victims" of the people actually running it.

She is also 52, so you can see that making this huge adjustment is going to take time for her. I get the impression that most of those younger eastern beauties who are advertised on dating sites (and I went to quite a few of those before meeting Svetland from Moldova) are young enough to start anew in the UK, and perhaps have a family there, whereas with the older ones they have built up a long history in their place of origin that's harder to shake off.

Christine09
Newly Registered

Post by Christine09 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi I think its a good starting point to do some volunteer positions first, a lot of my friends who comes from countries like Poland and Germany starting to do volunteer receptionist/admin positions.
I know organisations like local integration services, citizen advice bureau are keen to take on volunteers. And if you explained to them what are you looking for then they generally provide very good reference for you.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:02 am

John Green wrote:This is the link these days:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

I think that we will have to get an Action Plan. She comes here in April on a Visitor Visa. She cannot then work, but I have a few people lined up so that she can get careers advice and a taste of a local English course (her English speaking is okay, but not enough for job hunting purposes).

When she gets the spouse visa in the autumn, she can activate these contacts.
Be very, very careful here.

Is your wife from a visa-free country? So she won't need to get a visa in advance?

If she obtains entry into the UK without clearly stating that she's coming to visit her husband who is a British Citizen, she is setting up a world of trouble for herself.

If she then applies for a spouse visa, they check previous immigration history, discover the failure-to-declare a material fact, it's quite possible they get all "obtaining leave to enter by deception" and refuse it with a long ban.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.