ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registering on Electoral Roll on Tier 2 Visa?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

xcrogers

Registering on Electoral Roll on Tier 2 Visa?

Post by xcrogers » Sun May 07, 2017 9:21 am

Pretty sure this is a 'no' answer but wanted to be sure.

My wife and I are looking into purchasing a home in the UK and are pursuing a mortgage as part of the purchase. To avoid the thread moving sideways we meet the affordability checks, have in excess of 25% downpayment and have been using a UK based credit card since arriving over a year ago. In speaking with the representative at out bank they indicated we have done pretty much everything in our power to have a good credit score here in the UK given our length of stay but noted that really the only other 'tick' we could make was to register on the electoral roll.

We're both US citizens and I hold a 5 year Tier 2 with my wife as a dependent. First review indicates we do not qualify to register to vote (and also matches with my understanding/memory of this when going through the Visa process).

Can someone confirm wether we can or cannot register to vote?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Registering on Electoral Roll on Tier 2 Visa?

Post by CR001 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:25 am

You cannot vote. You would only be able to register on the electoral roll if you were from a Commonwealth country as a foreign national.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

xcrogers

Re: Registering on Electoral Roll on Tier 2 Visa?

Post by xcrogers » Sun May 07, 2017 4:51 pm

Great. Thats what I thought but wanted to confirm. Appreciate the quick response!