ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiance Visa - Advice on Supporting Documents

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

FriendlyGhost

Marriage in UK but application from outside

Post by FriendlyGhost » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:27 am

Hi,

Apologies if this is a repeat question. My fiance from Pakistan is planning to visit me in UK. She's been visiting UK off and on previously. We plan to do nikah (i.e. marry but with simple cermony) here. Then when she goes back, she will apply for spouse visa from Pakistan.

Will this cause any problems?

Thanks!

Casa

Re: Marriage in UK but application from outside

Post by Casa » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:59 am

In order to marry in the UK she will have to apply for a Marriage Visitor visa from Pakistan.

An Islamic marriage ceremony performed in the UK (without also marrying in a Registry Office) won't be recognised under British law.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

FriendlyGhost

Post by FriendlyGhost » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:32 am

Casa wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:59 am
In order to marry in the UK she will have to apply for a Marriage Visitor visa from Pakistan.

An Islamic marriage ceremony performed in the UK (without also marrying in a Registry Office) won't be recognised under British law.
I see, thanks. In terms of requirements, is marriage visitor visa any different from visitor visa?

Any links to threads on this forum and elsewhere will help : )

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:39 am

Not sure of the OP and his intended are eligible for a Marriage Visitor visa.

One of its requirement is
you’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership
Why not get married in Pakistan? It would probably be a whole lot faster to do and then apply.

Alternatively, apply for a fiancé visa, get married in the UK and then start off the FLR(M) straightaway.

Also see this thread on fiancé visa application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:53 am

@secret.simon I believe they may qualify if the intention is for the spouse to return to their home country after the marriage in the UK and before the Marriage Visitor visa expires.

However I agree that your other suggestions would be better options, especially as a Marriage Visitor visa will require the fiancee to submit evidence of strong ties to her home country, which in the circumstances will be a challenge. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

FriendlyGhost

Post by FriendlyGhost » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:14 am

Right, so although we are engaged, there is no official document to prove that. That's why fiance visa might be tricky. She will visit me in December anyway, so the idea is to do marriage here and then apply for spouse visa from Pakistan. That will be ideal, if there is a way to do that.

Alternatively, I can go there in January, just for the nikah.

UPDATE: Is the idea of marriage visit visa that one would marry someone in UK and then not settle here?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:46 am

FriendlyGhost wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:14 am
Is the idea of marriage visit visa that one would marry someone in UK and then not settle here?
As I understand it, the idea of a marriage visit visa is more for a non-EEA couple who would like to get married in one of the UK's scenic spots or historic castles/palaces and then return to their usual country of residence. It is effectively a visit visa that allows a marriage to take place as well.
FriendlyGhost wrote:
Right, so although we are engaged, there is no official document to prove that.
That's fine. Engagements/betrothals are not typically officially evidenced in most countries. Did you go through the two links in my previous post? They show the kind of non-official evidence that is required.
FriendlyGhost wrote:
She will visit me in December anyway, so the idea is to do marriage here and then apply for spouse visa from Pakistan.
The registrar will refuse the application if she is here on a visit visa. An Islamic nikkah in the UK will have no legal value, as Casa has already advised.
FriendlyGhost wrote:
Alternatively, I can go there in January, just for the nikah.
Good idea. Go for it.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

FriendlyGhost

Post by FriendlyGhost » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:41 pm

@secret.simon Thanks for explaining. So, short story, our options are:

1. Fiance visa for her
2. Me to go to Pakistan for nikah

I read the thread you linked. Fiance visa is still preferable. But not sure if that will be rejected due to lack of evidence. We know eachother for four months now but only actually met three weeks ago in Karachi when, after a week we got engaged. So we have pictures of engagement function and some others. Not sure if that will amount to enough evidence.

Here is long story, if you can bear to read :)

Usual Pakistani/Inidan marriage is a marathon: functions last a few days and many people join in. Now both our families are, like worldwide mafia, spread across different countries. So the wedding functions are planned for July as that's when other family members can make it. Therefore, we want to do simple marriage beforehand and apply for visa. So that by July everything else is in place - including possibly her job in UK.

From that point of view, fiance visa seems like the only viable option. If not, then we can do the marriage minus the mafia, in January or February and then apply for spouse visa.

FriendlyGhost

Post by FriendlyGhost » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:43 pm

@secret.simon, @Casa May you have many sons and may your cattle grow!

My fear is rejection of fiance visa may affect her chances to get spouse visa at all and cause delays. Is fiance visa the same as regular spouse visa, except that it relies on promise that we would get married within a month of the granting of visa?

FriendlyGhost

Fiance Visa - Advice on Supporting Documents

Post by FriendlyGhost » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Hi,

Sorry for slightly off tangent question. What happens after your partner comes to UK and marries? Do you apply for spouse visa again? How long does that take?

Thanks in advance!

Casa

Re: Fiance Visa - Advice on Supporting Documents

Post by Casa » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:41 pm

FriendlyGhost wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:05 pm
Hi,

Sorry for slightly off tangent question. What happens after your partner comes to UK and marries? Do you apply for spouse visa again? How long does that take?

Thanks in advance!
I have split your post into your own topic. Please don't tag your questions onto another member's thread as this is unfair and causes confusion.

After you are married your spouse has to submit a FLR(M) application from within the UK before the 6 month fiance visa expires. There will be a further visa fee of £933 + £500 for the NHS surcharge. If the application is submitted in person at a Premium Service Centre (PSC), there will be an additional fee of £590.

You may want to bear in mind that until FLR(M) is granted, your spouse will be unable to work. Postal applications can take 12 weeks or more to process, whereas when applying in person the application is generally decided on the same day.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -form-flrm
(Casa, not CR001)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:44 pm

And I have merged your topics (click). Kindly keep ALL your questions on the same applciation in one topic (this one).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

FriendlyGhost

Post by FriendlyGhost » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:11 am

Casa wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:41 pm
You may want to bear in mind that until FLR(M) is granted, your spouse will be unable to work. Postal applications can take 12 weeks or more to process, whereas when applying in person the application is generally decided on the same day.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -form-flrm
Thanks :) Sorry didn't realise that threads were per case. Will keep in mind now.

I have two follow on questions:

1. Is there a wait for in-person appointments? So for example, after getting fiancé visa, we get married on 7 April. Can we book in advance so that we go for in-person application on 9 April?

2. Is there a restriction on FLR(M) visa that the person cannot stay out of UK for more than 90 consecutive days?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:44 am

1. No not really.

2. No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

FriendlyGhost

Post by FriendlyGhost » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:33 am

Does it mean we can only book for in-person, after the marriage?

So roughly how long is the wait after marriage until FLR(M) visa is given, when applying after fiance visa? This when applying in-person, so including wait times for getting appointment.
Last edited by FriendlyGhost on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:35 am

No one can tell you now, how long you will wait to get an appointment in April. March/April are the busiest times as the HO fees go up on 6th April every year and there is a rush to book and pay before the increase.

You get told on the day if the visa is approved.

Biometric residence Permit (the visa) gets delivered within 7-10 days by DX Courier.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

FriendlyGhost

Post by FriendlyGhost » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:40 am

Cool, thanks.

One more question - just to be clear - for fiance visa we still need to fill FLR(M) form, right?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:47 am

Correct and you must apply for FLR(M) spouse visa before the fiance visa expires.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

FriendlyGhost

Post by FriendlyGhost » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:48 am

Great thanks!

FriendlyGhost

Post by FriendlyGhost » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:43 pm

Cost wise, the two options are:

Option 1:

Finace visa + Spouse visa: GBP 993 (fiance) + GBP 993 (spouse) + GBP 590 (for premium service which we will need) = 2,576

Option 2:

Me to go to Pakistan and do marriage there: ~GBP 500 (return ticket) + GBP 993 (spouse visa) = GBP 1,493

So although it will be inconvenient to go to Pakistan just for nikah, we will save over 1000 gbp that way.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:53 pm

Option 1:

Finace visa + Spouse visa: GBP 993 (fiance) + GBP 993 (spouse) + GBP 590 (for premium service which we will need) = 2,576
Correction as applications outside the UK cost more.
Finace visa + Spouse visa: GBP 1,464 (fiance) + GBP 993 (spouse) + £500 Immigration Health Surcharge + GBP 590 (for premium service which we will need) = GBP 3,547
Option 2:

Me to go to Pakistan and do marriage there: ~GBP 500 (return ticket) + GBP 993 (spouse visa) = GBP 1,493
Me to go to Pakistan and do marriage there: ~GBP 500 (return ticket) + GBP 1,464 (spouse visa) + £600 Immigration Health Surcharge = GBP 2,564
Char (CR001 not Casa)

FriendlyGhost

Post by FriendlyGhost » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Thanks for clarifying!

zeenatmadhani
Newly Registered
India

NARIC Certificate

Post by zeenatmadhani » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Hello

I have a question about NARIC Certificate

to register on NARIC they ask the below

Immigration Tier and Immigration Route

for Immigration tier i entered 'Family, settlement and nationality

for immigration route there are 2 options family and settlement
which one should i select ?

fiance visa is 'Family of settled person' visa right so immigration route should be Family ?

please respond

thanks