ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR to BRP 2018

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

daiizygiirl
Newly Registered
Canada

ILR to BRP 2018

Post by daiizygiirl » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:07 pm

I have, what feels like a silly question, but have had no luck researching it whatsoever. I received my ILR in 2011 off my own back, when I was single. In 2012 I married & moved with my husband. At the time it never crossed my mind to update the Home Office. In 2017 I decided I wanted to apply for citizenship so have been saving for that. I also applied for a BRP as I read in the citizenship notes their information on me must match my application.

What I'm wondering is, because I didn't inform the Home Office I married & changed my name is there a possibility my ILR can be revoked? I have already sent in the NTL application and they have acknowledged they received it via email, however, they didn't ask for my biometrics. I know it can take up to 6 months to process but I really don't want to spend all that time worrying so any advice or similar scenarios/outcomes welcome. Thanks in advance.

vinny

Re: ILR to BRP 2018

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Don't worry. Marriage and a change of names is not a reason for revoking an ILR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

daiizygiirl
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by daiizygiirl » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:40 pm

I'm just concerned because it was a change of circumstances that was not reported. I don't actually know what the "rules/laws" were in this instance back in 2012. There is information on the NTL form now that states "not reporting a change could result in up to a £1000 or a shortened stay" I also know this form is used for many different visa types. Anyway, thanks Vinny, appreciate the reply.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:52 pm

With an ILR endorsement in the passport, there is no requirement to report marriage or change of names. NTL is only confirmation of ILR.

IMHO, there was actually no need to apply for it prior to naturalisation, as ILR ceases after naturalisation.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

daiizygiirl
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by daiizygiirl » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:59 pm

I'm sure I read that if you hold an ILR you need to apply for the BRP card otherwise you could be forced to stop working? Honestly their website is so confusing & everything I've read online (personal experiences, etc) is not clear/no help! I would like to contact them for clarity but cannot fine contact details of any sort?! I'm totally at a loss as what to do ...... any ideas?

daiizygiirl
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by daiizygiirl » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:42 pm

that's on top of needing to update your info with the home office for marriage, name change, etc. I'm at a loss, if you are correct & they go ahead & process my application they will have virtually stolen £250 from me!

daiizygiirl
Newly Registered
Canada

ILR to Citenzenship in 2018

Post by daiizygiirl » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:45 am

I received my ILR in 2011. I am wanting to now apply for citizenship. Can I apply off my own back or should I use the application related to my spouse is British, we've been married for 6 years and that particular application makes reference to using it if married for 3 year on the day of application? I find the home office information/website very general & confusing. Thanks for any help/advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:01 am

daiizygiirl wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:59 pm
I'm sure I read that if you hold an ILR you need to apply for the BRP card otherwise you could be forced to stop working?
If seeking new employment.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:21 am

If you are married to a British citizen, then the qualifying period is only 3 years.

Suggest using the NCS.

daiizygiirl
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by daiizygiirl » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:27 am

surely I can still apply though right? Using which form?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:36 am