ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Chib Rajput
Newly Registered
Mood:

Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS)

Post by Chib Rajput » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:12 am

Hello.

I applied for my wife's settlement visa in England this year which was granted recently. On the online visa application I remember selecting the option 'applying from within UK on behalf of spouse'. However, when I reached the end of the application, the visa fee and the IHS charge was automatically converted to Pakistani rupees and displayed? I therefore felt I had no choice but to pay the amounts in order to submit the application.

I paid the following:

£661.75 - Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS).

£1,705.88 - Visa application fee + £46.91 non-sterling charge.

I just wanted to check if I can apply for a refund from UKVI for the IHS charge, as it shouldn't have added upto £661.75 for my wife's 2 years 9 months stay. My understading is the IHS charge at present is £200 per year hence £661.75 seems extortionate.

Regards.

secret.simon

Re: Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS)

Post by secret.simon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:01 am

The IHS should have come to £600 (£200 for every year or part thereof). The rest may possibly be conversion/bank fees (GBP to PKR and then back).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:30 am

You are lucky, that they are using local exchange conversions rates, unlike with some countries.
ECB6.3 How are fees paid? wrote:Fees are usually paid online following the instructions provided. If online payments are not mandatory, the Visa Application Centre website will advise what methods of payment can be used.

Fees for entry clearance and related services are set in UK legislation in UK pounds (GBP). Changes to the fees are approved by the UK Parliament. The exchange rate is determined by the Home Office Exchange Rate Policy which may be subject to change.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Chib Rajput
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Chib Rajput » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:21 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:01 am
The IHS should have come to £600 (£200 for every year or part thereof). The rest may possibly be conversion/bank fees (GBP to PKR and then back).
Should the charge not have been £500 as the final year's stay is 9 months and not a complete year?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:13 pm

Chib Rajput wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:21 pm
secret.simon wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:01 am
Should the charge not have been £500 as the final year's stay is 9 months and not a complete year?
You pay £200 per year OR any part of a full year. It is £600 for out of UK spouse visa applications.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.