ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British naturalisation application from overseas

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

isabahat
Newly Registered
India

British naturalisation application from overseas

Post by isabahat » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:05 am

Hi team,

Unique situation.

My British naturalization application period (5y on Tier 2 + 12 months on ILR) starts from 30th August 2020. However, I have got a job abroad for 12 months. Joining date is on 10th August. Can I apply for British Citizenship from Overseas? If yes, how will biometrics be done as I will be outside the borders of the UK? Do I have to travel back to the UK for any part of the application?

Any advice or experiences are highly appreciated.

Many thanks

vinny

Re: British naturalisation application from overseas

Post by vinny » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:55 am

Risky, if you are not the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

isabahat
Newly Registered
India

Post by isabahat » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:17 pm

Thanks Vinny!

I am not a spouse or civil partner of a British citizen.

Have you (or anybody else) got any experience or tips to offer for applying (for citizenship) outside the UK ?

Not much info online.

Thanks again

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:43 pm

Hello

When you applied for citizenship, there is a question about where do you want to live once you obtain the citizenship. You probably answered United Kingdom. Then, even before the application has been processed, you are already living in another country. That's a big deal. I have seen a couple of cases where citizenship has been questioned because once obtained the person moved abroad straightaway.

So if you relocated to another country during the application process, there will be a strong case for refusal.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:57 pm

There were a couple of cases on these forums, where the applicant successfully naturalised while in the UK and then made their first passport application from abroad. Even that caused the Passport Office to notify the Home Office to investigate whether the person had violated the future intentions requirement.

So, I would be cautious about making the application while abroad.

Keep in mind that
a) there is no right to naturalise.
b) there is no requirement to naturalise.

You should apply when you meet the requirements and are going to be resident in the UK for a while.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:27 pm

I second what secret.simon said.

Ideally, wait until the conditions are optimal then apply. The last thing you want is a refusal and being accused of deception about your future intentions. A nasty refusal may delay any successful application by many years.

Otherwise, if the British citizenship is your main priority, you have to adapt your life choices accordingly and find professional opportunities in the UK.

isabahat
Newly Registered
India

Post by isabahat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:29 am

Great input guys. Thanks a lot.

1. On the citizenship application form, the first question is "Are you in the UK?". Surely, that's not a bait to reject application !? :(

2. Also, there is this -->"You can also use this paper form if you live elsewhere and want to apply by post. You will need to submit your documents with your application."

#Undecided

That job offer is too tempting to decline. I guess I have to go back to my priority list!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:35 am

vinny wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:55 am
Risky, if you are not the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen.
As already advised, unlikely to be successful if outside the UK and not married to a British citizen. This applies to both the online and paper form.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.