ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR 5yrs UKSpouse - Current Travel Document Expired (No Passport)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

BetterHuman
Newly Registered

ILR 5yrs UKSpouse - Current Travel Document Expired (No Passport)

Post by BetterHuman » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:01 pm

Hi

Could anyone please help advice on our situation,

My current travel document has expired this year just during pandemic, and i am now planning to apply for Indefinite leave to remain visa/permit - ILR (5yrs route as British Spouse). However I am concern that I don’t have a valid travel document now, and if this will effect my application in granting the ILR ?

All my other visa including UK 1st entry of spouse visa for 2.5yrs (sticker) is on my current travel document which is now expired.
My 2nd part of total 5yrs Leave to remain spouse visa was issued on card (Biometric Resident Permit card) not expired yet, and I have all other requirements in place.

It’s just that we are unsure on how Home office would treat our case and if we can prepare anything better before submitting our application for ILR that we are planning next week.

Or would it not matter if we can prove our identity via either one of full UK Driving License, UK Biometric Resident card, bank statement, employment letter and payslip ?

We would highly appreciate if any of you could advise @Zimba @CR001 @seagul or any member here please ?
Many thanks

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: ILR 5yrs UKSpouse - Current Travel Document Expired (No Passport)

Post by seagul » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:01 pm

Visa/ILR won't be processed without a valid passport.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:06 pm

You need a valid passport to apply for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:10 pm

BetterHuman wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:01 pm
Hi

My current travel document has expired this year just during pandemic, and i am now planning to apply for Indefinite leave to remain visa/permit - ILR (5yrs route as British Spouse). However I am concern that I don’t have a valid travel document now, and if this will effect my application in granting the ILR ?

All my other visa including UK 1st entry of spouse visa for 2.5yrs (sticker) is on my current travel document which is now expired.
My 2nd part of total 5yrs Leave to remain spouse visa was issued on card (Biometric Resident Permit card) not expired yet, and I have all other requirements in place.

It’s just that we are unsure on how Home office would treat our case and if we can prepare anything better before submitting our application for ILR that we are planning next week.

Or would it not matter if we can prove our identity via either one of full UK Driving License, UK Biometric Resident card, bank statement, employment letter and payslip ? The ID documents you stated were issued by the UK government, you will require a document for proof of identity issued by the country of your current nationality.

We would highly appreciate if any of you could advise @Zimba @CR001 @seagul or any member here please ?
Many thanks
When does your current leave expire? Can you apply for renewal or reissue of international passport from your country's High Commission/Embassy in UK before the expiration of current leave?
You may also want to contact the HO to give you guidance on how to proceed or resolve this matter of passport before you apply.

BetterHuman
Newly Registered

Post by BetterHuman » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:30 pm

Unfortunately, we just recently learned that i am not in position to renew the travel Document. It was issued by one of EEA country, where I was living as refugee there, however when we contacted their Embassy in Uk and their Home Office (equivalent dept) in the country. They said, for those on refugee with travel document, once they moved out to another country i loose our right for renewal.

so now i am in limbo ?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:33 pm

BetterHuman wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:30 pm
Unfortunately, we just recently learned that i am not in position to renew the travel Document. It was issued by one of EEA country, where I was living as refugee there, however when we contacted their Embassy in Uk and their Home Office (equivalent dept) in the country. They said, for those on refugee with travel document, once they moved out to another country i loose our right for renewal.

so now i am in limbo ?
Does this mean that at the moment you are stateless/have no citizenship of any country?

BetterHuman
Newly Registered

Post by BetterHuman » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:33 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:10 pm
BetterHuman wrote:
Hi

Or would it not matter if we can prove our identity via either one of full UK Driving License, UK Biometric Resident card, bank statement, employment letter and payslip ? The ID documents you stated were issued by the UK government, you will require a document for proof of identity issued by the country of your current nationality.

Many thanks
When does your current leave expire? Can you apply for renewal or reissue of international passport from your country's High Commission/Embassy in UK before the expiration of current leave?
You may also want to contact the HO to give you guidance on how to proceed or resolve this matter of passport before you apply.
Thank you. I still have few months to expire my current permit. Do you know any specific contact address at Home office where I can make an enquiry on this ?

BetterHuman
Newly Registered

Post by BetterHuman » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:36 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:33 pm
BetterHuman wrote:

so now i am in limbo ?
Does this mean that at the moment you are stateless/have no citizenship of any country?
That's correct, even when UK home office issued a visa and Biometric residence card, under the Nationality section, they have put XXB. which generally means REFUGEE - ARTICLE 1 OF THE 1951 CONVENTION

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:04 pm

BetterHuman wrote:
AmazonianX wrote:
BetterHuman wrote:
Hi

Many thanks
Thank you. I still have few months to expire my current permit. Do you know any specific contact address at Home office where I can make an enquiry on this ?
Shall leave this - provision of appropriate contact address to Moderators and more knowledgeable persons or persons with previous experience of this to help out.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:05 pm

BetterHuman wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:36 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
BetterHuman wrote:

so now i am in limbo ?
That's correct, even when UK home office issued a visa and Biometric residence card, under the Nationality section, they have put XXB. which generally means REFUGEE - ARTICLE 1 OF THE 1951 CONVENTION
Can you check through the contacts on your previous correspondences with HO and direct the enquiry to in the interim?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:09 pm

Just to input: There is an option to select “Refugee - Article 1 of the 1951 convention” as a nationality in the “Nationality” drop down menu in the online form.

If one selects that, the checklist does not ask for your valid passport.
Maybe this option will help OP??
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

BetterHuman
Newly Registered

Post by BetterHuman » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:14 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:04 pm
BetterHuman wrote:
AmazonianX wrote:
BetterHuman wrote:
Hi

Many thanks
Shall leave this - provision of appropriate contact address to Moderators and more knowledgeable persons or persons with previous experience of this to help out.
Sure, Thank you. i hope there is someone who can guide me here.

BetterHuman
Newly Registered

Post by BetterHuman » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:18 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:09 pm
Just to input: There is an option to select “Refugee - Article 1 of the 1951 convention” as a nationality in the “Nationality” drop down menu in the online form.

Ohh really, that's really helpful, thanks very much. I haven't gone through the online application yet. In the past, I have always selected nationality as "Refugee - Article 1 of the 1951 convention". and it always worked out.

Can I open an account for ILR for an online application before due date ?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:21 pm

BetterHuman wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:18 pm
CULLINAN wrote:

Ohh really, that's really helpful, thanks very much. I haven't gone through the online application yet. In the past, I have always selected nationality as "Refugee - Article 1 of the 1951 convention". and it always worked out.
For reference I am attaching a screen shot:
Attachments
4FF95070-18C4-435B-8B88-A877896CD657.png
4FF95070-18C4-435B-8B88-A877896CD657.png (765.11 KiB) Viewed 436 times
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:28 pm

BetterHuman wrote:
CULLINAN wrote:

Yes you can run a dummy application just like I did now. You can also save the application and edit it later on. Note, if you do not log back in within 6 weeks once, the saved details will be erased.

Note the date of application is the date you pay and submit. So make sure you are eligible on that date. But you can start filling your application even now.

BetterHuman
Newly Registered

Post by BetterHuman » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:32 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:28 pm
BetterHuman wrote:
CULLINAN wrote:

Yes you can run a dummy application just like I did now. You can also save the application and edit it later on. Note, if you do not log back in within 6 weeks once, the saved details will be erased.

Note the date of application is the date you pay and submit. So make sure you are eligible on that date. But you can start filling your application even now.
Thank you. That's very kind of you Cullinan. I shall check this out. and start filling the application, to see what are the other complicated questions there are and if my expired travel document would be fine ?

Usually, there guidance publication for any application, but for some reason, I can't find anything for ILR application.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:38 pm

BetterHuman wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:32 pm
Usually, there guidance publication for any application, but for some reason, I can't find anything for ILR application.
The paper forms and guidance have been archived as they are no longer in use, links below. There is no 'online' guidance notes.

https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov ... -form-setm
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

BetterHuman
Newly Registered

Post by BetterHuman » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:46 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:38 pm
BetterHuman wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:32 pm
The paper forms and guidance have been archived as they are no longer in use, links below. There is no 'online' guidance notes.

Thank you CR001, for the link. I wouldn't have any idea of national archives site.

Pdf download link for application is broken, can't access it now, but maybe i should try later, in the meantime guidance notes will be v helpful to go through. :D

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:54 pm

Application link below. Just a reminder you cannot use the paper form, it is for information only.

Char (CR001 not Casa)

BetterHuman
Newly Registered

Post by BetterHuman » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:07 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:54 pm
Application link below. Just a reminder you cannot use the paper form, it is for information only.

Yes this works. Thank you v much again CR001.

Sure, I understand that this only for Info/guidance.