ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Tirinti
Mood:

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Tirinti » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:01 pm

Mayo101 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:29 pm
I for one second do not believe they are sending out certificates chronologically. I have had my approval in May and applied last October and yet there are people getting certificates with approvals after me and also people who were approved before me but are still waiting..
I think it is sorted first by council and then by date. There is no point to send certificates to council that have already backlog for a few months or haven't even restarted ceremonies. Other councils have almost cleared their backlog and will soon will be able to receive certificates as soon as they are approved. That's why it is important, people who inform about their invitation to mention to which council.

Learning18

Post by Learning18 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:11 pm

bigby639 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:00 pm
Good news guys, just got my invitation letter dated 03/08 & application was approved on 12th June

which mean, they are now sending the invitations.
Hi,

My approval was on the 3td of June. However, I haven't recieved anything. Which council will you be having your certifice at?

AlexGo
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by AlexGo » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi, is anyone have a ceremony in Hounslow, London?

TheTraveller
- thin ice -

Post by TheTraveller » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:51 pm

Is there anyone here from Kingston Council ? I filed a formal complaint and now the council changed their website saying they will call people to book them in!!

edu
Newly Registered

Post by edu » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:39 pm

naturaliser123 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:17 pm
Hi all, just had my ceremony today and thought I’ll share my experience. Applied and completed biometrics in February and approval via email in May. I heard nothing at all since then.

Just on the off chance, I tried to book a ceremony on Westminster’s website and to my surprise it went through (putting in your Case ID where it asks for reference). If it lets you through it means they have your cert. I confirmed this and spoke to a registrar who kindly let me have my ceremony even without the invite.

Hope this helps some of you!
The online booking form asks you whether the invitation letter has been received. If it has not been received, the online application does not let you proceed with the booking.

ILR1980
Pakistan

Post by ILR1980 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:19 am

It seem people are waiting for long time to get an inviation for cermony. Do we get an invitation from local council ? I applied at the end of July 2020 and recieved approval email on 18th august and when contacted local council about update then got this reply " Once we have received your Certificate of Naturalisation from the Home Office, you will receive a letter from us in regards to a citizenship ceremony for you."

uuee6543

Post by uuee6543 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:26 am

I applied in early February and got approved in early June (despite my application being very straightforward). I have sent countless emails to the Home Office citizenship support email address and to my council. I have also used the online complaint form to file a complaint against the Home Office. My council, Camden (London) has been conducting both group and private ceremonies since last week.

I have been calling them constantly and every time I do they seem flabbergasted when I tell them I have already been approved but don’t have my citizenship ceremony invitation letter. ‘What do you mean you got approved and don’t have the letter? Are you sure you got approved? It sounds like you haven’t been approved yet’. And I have to explain it (sometimes to the same person I spoke to several times before) every single time.

Then I ask them if they received my certificate and they always insist that I ‘just wait for the invitation from the Home Office’. Then i explain that the letter might be delayed or might get lost in the mail or stolen (given that it’s a second class mail letter as some of the members here have pointed out). Eventually they check if they received my certificate and it is always a resounding ‘no’. I can’t really tell whether they actually checked properly and whether they misspelled my name etc as they seem really unwilling to spend any more time on the call with me.

On their website you can book a ceremony online but you have to state whether you received an invitation letter (it won’t let you if you haven’t). As someone here pointed out, I could just say yes and try but I am not sure if this might be frowned upon. Any advice?

apostrophe
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by apostrophe » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:08 am

Hi there everyone, hope you're all fine.
I got my application approved on May 21 and I'm still waiting for my invitation letter to arrive. I contacted my council several times (they have resumed ceremonies already) asking if they have my certificate yet - still not there. I need to admit I'm getting quite impatient at this point, especially when I see that people whose applications were approved after mine had their ceremonies already. I guess I need to keep waiting then, someone said here the HO is sending out invitation letters on a regular basis now, so there's hope.

Mohahij
Newly Registered

Post by Mohahij » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:55 am

Good morning everyone
I have same situation and I got my approval in July after waiting few months but this is not my point to be honest.
Last week we was all hopping to start seeing some invitation flows from this week ,so anyone got their invitation letter this week maybe we can all feel relieved a bit ?

Thanks and good luck everyone.

Anatol
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by Anatol » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:29 am

Got approved on 15 May, sent them an email in July and few days ago, received identical answers both times:
"I refer to your application for British Citizenship and your email enquiry. Upon investigation I can confirm that your citizenship ceremony documents have not yet been printed or despatched to the local authority. Your citizenship paperwork will be generated in coming weeks when current restrictions due to Coronavirus are eased.

In normal circumstances customers were required to book their citizenship ceremony within three months of being sent an invitation from the Home Office. Due to the current circumstances we have extended this period to six months. We will keep this under constant review. Please be assured that no adverse decisions will be made on your application because of delays caused by Coronavirus (unless there is a material change in your circumstances, for example, you are convicted of a criminal offence)."

Looks like Windrush version 2.0

Raihanul
Mood:

Post by Raihanul » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:36 am

I got my approval in Early June and haven't received my invitaion yet. I contacted the council and got this in response;

"Hi

We received our first batch of certificates last week but we do not appear to have received one in your name. You will receive a letter from the home Office inviting you to book your ceremony at the time they send the certificates to us.

Regards"

I also contacted the Immigration helpline today on 08006781767 and was told that I should get my letter in 12 weeks.

Malikg123

Post by Malikg123 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:06 am

Received this email today

Re: Request for duplicate copy of citizenship ceremony invitation.
I refer to your application for British Citizenship and your email enquiry. Upon investigation I can confirm that your citizenship ceremony documents have not yet been printed or despatched to the local authority. Your citizenship paperwork will be generated in coming weeks when current restrictions due to Coronavirus are eased.

In normal circumstances customers were required to book their citizenship ceremony within three months of being sent an invitation from the Home Office. Due to the current circumstances we have extended this period to six months. We will keep this under constant review. Please be assured that no adverse decisions will be made on your application because of delays caused by Coronavirus (unless there is a material change in your circumstances, for example, you are convicted of a criminal offence).

apostrophe
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by apostrophe » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:17 am

Anatol wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:29 am
Got approved on 15 May, sent them an email in July and few days ago, received identical answers both times:
"I refer to your application for British Citizenship and your email enquiry. Upon investigation I can confirm that your citizenship ceremony documents have not yet been printed or despatched to the local authority. Your citizenship paperwork will be generated in coming weeks when current restrictions due to Coronavirus are eased.

In normal circumstances customers were required to book their citizenship ceremony within three months of being sent an invitation from the Home Office. Due to the current circumstances we have extended this period to six months. We will keep this under constant review. Please be assured that no adverse decisions will be made on your application because of delays caused by Coronavirus (unless there is a material change in your circumstances, for example, you are convicted of a criminal offence)."

What email address did you send your queries to? I sent one too a few weeks ago and no response whatsoever.

Malikg123

Post by Malikg123 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:20 am

Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk
They reply after 3/4 weeks
apostrophe wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:17 am
Anatol wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:29 am

What email address did you send your queries to? I sent one too a few weeks ago and no response whatsoever.

Wahidwadid

Post by Wahidwadid » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:50 am

Raihanul wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:36 am
I got my approval in Early June and haven't received my invitaion yet. I contacted the council and got this in response;

"Hi

We received our first batch of certificates last week but we do not appear to have received one in your name. You will receive a letter from the home Office inviting you to book your ceremony at the time they send the certificates to us.

Regards"

I also contacted the Immigration helpline today on 08006781767 and was told that I should get my letter in 12 weeks.
Are you from mcr council?Sound like they told me same thing day before yesterday, I asked them when they going to receive the 2nd batch,And they said HO will email them before send the certificate, It could be Thursday or Friday but it's won't be on the system till following Tuesday if they receive the certificate.

Emeliajayne88
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Emeliajayne88 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:39 pm

Just to say that I got an approval via email on mid-June and I haven't received an invitation letter either. I'm registered to attend a ceremony at Hackney Council.

This is kind of insane.... I feel so sorry for the people working at the Home Office, it must be a total shambles behind the scenes under this government.

Jayrose17
South Africa

Post by Jayrose17 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:39 pm

The irony is that home off icevis looking at introducing fast track applications like we had with our ILR. probably cut times in half. But unfortunately will be to late for us.
Application end Dec 19. Biometrics end Jan.
Approval e mail 3rd June
No certificate or invite as yet.

oxana777
Mood:
Kazakhstan

Post by oxana777 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:53 pm

Jayrose17 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:39 pm
The irony is that home off icevis looking at introducing fast track applications like we had with our ILR. probably cut times in half. But unfortunately will be to late for us.
Approval e mail 3rd June
How do you know they want to introduce fast track? Tbh they should clear up the current mess first!! 🤦🏼‍♀️

Malikg123

Post by Malikg123 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:06 pm

Fast track with more application fee.
they sending people survey.
Jayrose17 wrote:
Approval e mail 3rd June

Learning18

Post by Learning18 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Jayrose17 wrote:
Approval e mail 3rd June
Oh nice, we have the same approval date. Will definitely let you know if I get anything invitation letter.

Tirinti
Mood:

Post by Tirinti » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:32 pm

Malikg123 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:06 pm
I don't mind to pay more, if reasonable, to have my ceremony next week in another council.

Malikg123

Post by Malikg123 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:36 pm

It’s for new applicant ( Naturalisation application ) not for ceremony
Tirinti wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:32 pm
Malikg123 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:06 pm
I don't mind to pay more, if reasonable, to have my ceremony next week in another council.

DreamerInDarkness
Taiwan

Post by DreamerInDarkness » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:32 pm

Jayrose17 wrote:
Approval e mail 3rd June
Where did they say that?

U Aziz
Pakistan

Post by U Aziz » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:50 pm

Hi All,
As some of us started getting the invitations/ceremonies, shall we not start a timeline thread?
I spoke to my (Hillingdon) council today, they are expecting some more certificates by Friday. Have been advised to call back next Wednesday to try my luck again.
And to be honest I’ve just given up on looking for the invitation letter through post now!😤😤
Is you council accepting people without invites if the certificates are received by them- I presume yes!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:55 pm

U Aziz wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:50 pm
Hi All,
As some of us started getting the invitations/ceremonies, shall we not start a timeline thread?
I spoke to my (Hillingdon) council today, they are expecting some more certificates by Friday. Have been advised to call back next Wednesday to try my luck again.
And to be honest I’ve just given up on looking for the invitation letter through post now!😤😤
Is you council accepting people without invites if the certificates are received by them- I presume yes!
No, we have enough to moderate already, including the two covid biometric non stop topics, without yet another timeline thread!

There are existing citizenship timeline threads that must be used for timeline updates.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.