ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born outside UK, parent ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Joyceki3431
Newly Registered
Korea South

Child born outside UK, parent ILR

Post by Joyceki3431 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:11 am

Dear Sir/Madam,

I greatly appreciate that I can ask here and thank you very much for your help in advance.

My family has a South Korean passport.
I have ILR, my wife and children have Tier 2 dependent visa.

My wife and children are eligible for applying for ILR from June 2021.
(They have been living in the UK since June 2016.)

Here are my enquires:

1. Can my children apply for citizenship without having their ILR if both or one of the parents has ILR?

2. If #1 can't, can children applying for citizenship without having their ILR if one of the parents has citizenship?

3. Could you please let me know the eligibility for citizenship for children from South Korea.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child born outside UK, parent ILR

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:17 am

1. No they can't. Children born abroad are expected to hold ilr before they can apply for citizenship. They have no entitlement to register as British.

3. No,children born abroad require ilr first.

4. Children born abroad need ilr first and can apply for citizenship only when one parent is also applying for citizenship or is already British and the othe parent holds ilr.

There is no shortcut route to avoid ilr for them.

This applies to all children born abroad, regardless of country.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Re: Child born outside UK, parent ILR

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:20 am

1. Probably no.
2. Probably no.
3. Under Section 3(1), they expect parents and child to have ILR and at least one parent successfully applying for citizenship.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.