ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR finance questions- overseas salary

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hxf666
Newly Registered
China

Fail to apply for SET(M) - what happens?

Post by hxf666 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Hi All,

Happy new year!

I’m currently on my 2nd FLR Visa which expires on 24th March 2021. In theory the next Visa I’m going to apply for is the settlement visa SET(M), however, I’m currently staying in KSA due to my British husband’s work (until end of 2021).

I could fly back to the uk before my visa expires (if the COVID situation allows!) and make the application, but as the premium service is no longer available, i could only use the normal service which could take 6 months. Unfortunately it has become unrealistic for me (with a newborn baby) to live in the uk without my husband in the current lockdown situation :cry:

We do intend to go back to the uk after his contract, I guess my questions are:

1. Could I apply for SET(M) from outside the UK? If so, how? As the online form is only for applications made in the uk.

2. If I cannot fly back to the UK within 28 days before my visa expires due to COVID, do I need to let the immigration office know? If so, how?

3. If I failed to renew my visa, does it mean that before we return to the UK, I will have to apply for a FLR from KSA and start the 5-year route all over again?

4. If I failed to renew my visa, should I be applying for a tourist visa to see family in the UK? And only apply for FLR from KSA once we decide to move back permanently (when the job finishes)?

So many uncertainties at the moment, thank you so much in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Fail to apply for SET(M) - what happens?

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:51 pm

1. No you cannot. Ilr is only an in country application. Note your spouse is required to prove UK earnings and you both need to prove 2 years of cohabitation for you to qualify for ilr on set m.

2. No.

3. Yes.

4. Possibly, risk of being refused a visitor visa though.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hxf666
Newly Registered
China

Post by hxf666 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:28 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:51 pm
1. No you cannot. Ilr is only an in country application. Note your spouse is required to prove UK earnings and you both need to prove 2 years of cohabitation for you to qualify for ilr on set m.

2. No.

3. Yes.

4. Possibly, risk of being refused a visitor visa though.
Thank you so much!

why would a visitor visa be possibly refused please?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:33 pm

Because they are harder to get these days and as you have held a spouse visa, the ECO could take the view that you are trying to circumvent the stricter spouse visa rules
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hxf666
Newly Registered
China

Post by hxf666 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:37 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:33 pm
Because they are harder to get these days and as you have held a spouse visa, the ECO could take the view that you are trying to circumvent the stricter spouse visa rules
Fair point, thank you very much!
Guess we’ll need to provide enough evidence to show that our life is in KSA at the moment :| Would writing a cover letter help? Thanks!

hxf666
Newly Registered
China

Fail to apply for SET(M) - how to return to Uk

Post by hxf666 » Sun May 16, 2021 10:36 am

Hi All,

Hope all is well.

We couldn’t get back to the UK to renew my FLR (2nd 2.5 years) to a SET visa before it expired in March, as we are trapped in an other country due to my British husband’s work.

Questions:

1. Which visa should I be applying for to get back to the UK from overseas, tourist visa or something else?
2. Could I still apply for SET(M) once I’m back to the UK? Or do I need to start over my FLR 5 year route again?

Thank you very much for your help!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Fail to apply for SET(M) - how to return to Uk

Post by CR001 » Sun May 16, 2021 11:03 am

1. Spouse visa if you are returning to live.

2. No, you can't apply for set m. You will have to start again from scratch.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 16, 2021 11:50 am

Ask them if they will extend the COVID concession?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

hxf666
Newly Registered
China

Post by hxf666 » Sun May 16, 2021 11:52 am

Thank you very much for your swift response.

Would it be easier/cheaper to apply for a tourist visa if we’ll be based overseas for a few more years and only go back to the UK to see family?

Thanks again!

hxf666
Newly Registered
China

Post by hxf666 » Sun May 16, 2021 11:54 am

Hi Vinny,

I have just filled out the form online, just waiting for a reply now. :)

However I realized that the gov.com website suggests that the concession was only available until 31st March, no idea if they will still look at my case :(

Thanks!

hxf666
Newly Registered
China

ILR finance questions- overseas salary

Post by hxf666 » Mon May 31, 2021 6:45 pm

Hello all,

Hope you’re having a nice long weekend.

I am about to apply for my ILR (SET(M)), my British husband is currently employed by a UK company but physically working overseas at the moment, his overseas job will finish at the end of this year.

My concern is that, his salary is paid in local currency but we transfer most of it back to our uk account. Is this going to be a problem? Which bank statements should we provide, the overseas one or UK one, or both?

Thank you!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR finance questions- overseas salary

Post by CR001 » Mon May 31, 2021 6:49 pm

Topics merged.

Have you returned to the UK now, if so I'm what visa?
I’m currently on my 2nd FLR Visa which expires on 24th March 2021.
Hasn't your visa already expired?? You cannot apply for ilr if you don't have a visa.

If he is not "present and settled" in the UK, with proof of UK employment, I don't believ that you will meet the requirements.

Your husband and yourself seem to have been out of the UK for 2 years already.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/flr-to-ilr-a ... l#p1790630
Char (CR001 not Casa)

hxf666
Newly Registered
China

Post by hxf666 » Mon May 31, 2021 7:17 pm

Hi,

Sorry forgot to mention, I’ve applied for the COVID concession is is waiting for the final visa waiver now.

His job is a government to government contract, so we hope that our case would meet the special circumstances. I was only supposed to be with him overseas for a short while and return to the UK then COVID hit,then I was pregnant with our baby and delivered the baby overseas. Did not want to risk traveling with a newborn during the Pandemic hence I let my visa expire :(

hxf666
Newly Registered
China

Post by hxf666 » Mon May 31, 2021 7:19 pm

And he is employed by a UK company, just not paid in GBP.

Is this going to be a problem? Thank you.

hxf666
Newly Registered
China

Post by hxf666 » Mon May 31, 2021 8:19 pm

Actually I am really confused now:how I even be applying for ILR? Or should I apply for another 5-year FLR(M) from overseas, if that’s possible, as I assume that there’s no such thing as renewing my current FLR(M)?

Or should I return to the UK and apply for a new 5-year FLR(M).

Sorry it’s all very confusing. Thanks a lot for your help!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 31, 2021 8:35 pm

You cannot apply for ILR from outside the UK. You have already been advised of this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

hxf666
Newly Registered
China

Post by hxf666 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:25 am

Hi CR001,

Thank you for the reply.

I mean, when I return to the uk with the visa waiver, should I be applying for ILR (as you said it might get rejected as we spent time overseas),or should I apply for FLR(M),the 5-year route,again?

Thank you.