ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization Application - Meaning of "a year" in calculating residency

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

davebecks
Newly Registered
Ireland

Query on Section 5 - Date when you arrived in Ireland

Post by davebecks » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:37 pm

Hi All,

I've a query regarding Section 5 of Form 8 for naturalisation.

Code: Select all

Section 5: Residency Permissions
5.1 Write the date when you first arrived in Ireland.
5.2 Write your Passport Number at the time of arrival in Ireland
I arrived in Ireland for the very first time on 29 June 2010 on a business visa and went back 2 months later.
Then, I came back on a General Work permit and stayed from Mar 2011-May 2012.

Then I returned on a Critical Skills Employment Permit on 30 Oct 2016 and have lived here for the past 5 years. I'm applying for naturalisation based on these past 5 years(since my earlier stay is over 10 years ago and won't count anymore for reckonable residence).

My question is, should the answer for 5.1 above be 30 Oct 2016 or 29 June 2010?

Best Regards.

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Re: Query on Section 5 - Date when you arrived in Ireland

Post by shpirtshqipe » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:43 pm

October 2016

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:12 pm

It would be the first day of entry for any long-stay permissions (i.e. the first time you were asked to get a GNIB card). In your case it should be your first General Employment Permit.

davebecks
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by davebecks » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:32 pm

Thanks for your replies. I'll add March 2011 in Section 5.1 then.

davebecks
Newly Registered
Ireland

Application

Post by davebecks » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:43 pm

Hi All,

I have a couple of questions regarding the citizenship application:
  • One of the conditions be a resident in Ireland is: "You can spend up to 6 weeks per year outside of Ireland and still be considered a resident. "
    How should "a year" here be calculated? Will it be a calendar year i.e Jan to Dec.
    or for ex: if my first GNIB stamp was in Nov 2016, then will the year be Nov 2016- Nov 2017 and so on
  • Some other forums members mentioned their solicitors advised them not to send the passport along with the application initially. Instead they sent a certified copy of the passport and once an officer was assigned to process their application, they would ask for the passport at which time they submitted it.
    I'm planning to apply for my citizenship in Dec this year, but knowing it'll take at least 4 months before they send back the passport, I was thinking of sending a certified copy first instead.
    Has anyone here done this? Please let me know your experience.
Please advice.

Best regards.

davebecks
Newly Registered
Ireland

Naturalization Application - Meaning of "a year" in calculating residency

Post by davebecks » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:41 pm

Hi All,

I have a couple of questions regarding the citizenship application:
One of the conditions be a resident in Ireland is: "You can spend up to 6 weeks per year outside of Ireland and still be considered a resident. "
  • How should "a year" here be calculated? Will it be a calendar year i.e Jan to Dec.
    or
    for ex: if my first GNIB stamp was in Nov 2016, then will the year be Nov 2016- Nov 2017 and so on
  • Some other forums members mentioned their solicitors advised them not to send the passport along with the application initially. Instead they sent a certified copy of the passport and once an officer was assigned to process their application, they would ask for the passport at which time they submitted it.
    I'm planning to apply for my citizenship in Dec this year, but knowing it'll take at least 4 months before they send back the passport, I was thinking of sending a certified copy first instead.
    Has anyone here done this? Please let me know your experience.
Please advice.

Best regards.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Naturalization Application - Meaning of "a year" in calculating residency

Post by littlerr » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:47 pm

Please refrain from creating multiple identical posts.

The first question has been answered a lot of time here. They are fiscal years - so use the dates in your IRP cards as a reference.

For your second question, I haven’t heard of anyone doing that. The citizenship website cannot be clearer - if you need your passport now, do not submit your application. Submitting your application without your passport may result in an automatic refusal and you may not get your 175 euro application fee and all the supporting documents back.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:36 pm

Topics merged again!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

davebecks
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by davebecks » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:12 am

Thanks for your reply.

Looks like it has now been officially announced that from Jan 1 2022, it is no longer mandatory to send original passport along with application and a color photocopy attested by a solicitor will suffice.

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/new-imm ... announced/