ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

entering uk under tier 1 general

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

joy_kavee

entering uk under tier 1 general

Post by joy_kavee » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:02 am

hi

i have my tier 1 general approved from back home.

is there any documentation that you should carry with you when you reach the airport?

can anyone share their experience of at the airport with tier 1 general?

Do you need to show where you gonna stay or bank statement or anything??

somebody mentioned having chest x ray? does that apply to all foreign nationalities?

thanks

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Re: entering uk under tier 1 general

Post by tvn_ramesh » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:51 pm

joy_kavee wrote:hi

is there any documentation that you should carry with you when you reach the airport?

somebody mentioned having chest x ray? does that apply to all foreign nationalities?

thanks
if u r coming first time into UK.. it is safe to carry the follwoing;

1. Have al the documents you submitted handy incase the immig officer asks for
2. Have the address wher eyou will be staying once u enter UK... even it is a hotel for 1day initall
3. have a TB test done in india and get teh xray n report handy incase the officer asks for
4. rest of all the other things like having GBP in hand to pay for taxi or train,
5. international driving licence if u intend to drive is valid for 1yr in uk

goodluck

VK82

Post by VK82 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:03 pm

tvn_ramesh wrote:

thanks

2. Have the address wher eyou will be staying once u enter UK... even it is a hotel for 1day initall
3. have a TB test done in india and get teh xray n report handy incase the officer asks for
4. rest of all the other things like having GBP in hand to pay for taxi or train,

goodluck
Hi Ramesh, just picking up point 5, person can drive in UK even with their home country license for 1 year from the date of their first entry. Its a hassle applying for an International license. Thats what I know but do correct me if I am wrong.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:23 pm

VK82 wrote:
tvn_ramesh wrote:

thanks

goodluck
Hi Ramesh, just picking up point 5, person can drive in UK even with their home country license for 1 year from the date of their first entry. Its a hassle applying for an International license. Thats what I know but do correct me if I am wrong.
Yes even i heard that indian driving license they can drive.. but the main problem comes when there si some problem and the police or any authority wants to check ur license and if the license is in any language other than english...
so i did not want to misguide or give little info.. so i told to get international..

cheers

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:48 pm

Agree with tvn_ramesh. You can use Indian license for one year. you should get UK full license afte that.

push

Post by push » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:25 pm

Check the DVLA website. If you are from one of the countries which are listed there you can exchange your licence with a GB licence without any hassle.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

ChetanOjha

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:30 pm

Usefull link as mentioned by push above:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/Motor ... Next%C2%A0+

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:29 am

nice
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

email257525
BANNED

dear friends

Post by email257525 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:37 am

u can drive on indian lnternational driving license but dont stick to it. . .
Try to get uk license within one year

Try to get no claim bonus certificate from india if u need cheap insurance in uk

amit_cris
Newly Registered

Post by amit_cris » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:03 am

hi,

Your home country ( India) DL is always valid for initial 1 year , i have used that for driving while in UK, only problem that you have to pay more money while taking car Insurance which is mandatory and very costly in UK, and if you have UK driving license ( though its very tough to get that as you have to take a number of test for that ) then you have to pay less towards Car insurance.

Amit

ukdest

Post by ukdest » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:18 am

amit_cris wrote:hi,

Your home country ( India) DL is always valid for initial 1 year , i have used that for driving while in UK, only problem that you have to pay more money while taking car Insurance which is mandatory and very costly in UK, and if you have UK driving license ( though its very tough to get that as you have to take a number of test for that ) then you have to pay less towards Car insurance.

Amit
Here is my concern... I have an indian license, not indian international

I am buying a car and getting an insurance. The insurance websites have the option for giving license info as :-

Full(UK/Ireland/EU/International)
Provisional.

"International" is my concern. Hope the insurance company will not give any problem telling my license does not belong to the first category, if in case i have to go for claims.

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:23 am

ukdest wrote:

Amit

I am buying a car and getting an insurance. The insurance websites have the option for giving license info as :-

Provisional.

"International" is my concern. Hope the insurance company will not give any problem telling my license does not belong to the first category, if in case i have to go for claims.
Basically u should have International driving permit not normal licence to drive for the first year...
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

ukdest

Post by ukdest » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:40 am

yasa wrote:
ukdest wrote:

Amit

Provisional.

i cannot agree with that, the following link i found mentions i can drive with indian license

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/Motor ... _in_gb.dsb

Basically u should have International driving permit not normal licence to drive for the first year...

ukdest

Post by ukdest » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:41 am

ukdest wrote:
yasa wrote:
ukdest wrote:

Amit

Provisional.

Sorry posting again..

i cannot agree with that, the following link i found mentions i can drive with indian license

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/Motor ... _in_gb.dsb