ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Gap in 10 year residency?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rommy

Gap in 10 year residency?

Post by rommy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:44 pm

I applied for extension of my student visa on 28-12-2007 in person in Croydon. My visa was expiring on 31-12-07. I was missing one document and
they asked me to come back on 12-01-08 with the missing documents. The letter they gave me stated that they are returning my form and documents as I was missing one and asked me to bring it back on 12-01-08 otherwise it will invalidate my application and they will refund my fee. I did went back on 12-01-01 and I was granted the visa on the same day. I did not had to redo the form or pay the fee again as I had already done so on 28-12.

What I want to know is if this period of 12 days counts as a gap or I should be fine as I applied before my visa expired? Thanks everyone for your help.

Graceofgod

Re: Gap in 10 year residency?

Post by Graceofgod » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:52 pm

rommy wrote:I applied for extension of my student visa on 28-12-2007 in person in Croydon. My visa was expiring on 31-12-07. I was missing one document and
they asked me to come back on 12-01-08 with the missing documents. The letter they gave me stated that they are returning my form and documents as I was missing one and asked me to bring it back on 12-01-08 otherwise it will invalidate my application and they will refund my fee. I did went back on 12-01-01 and I was granted the visa on the same day. I did not had to redo the form or pay the fee again as I had already done so on 28-12.

What I want to know is if this period of 12 days counts as a gap or I should be fine as I applied before my visa expired? Thanks everyone for your help.
As you went in person to apply before the expiry date of your visa and also you complied with date given to you by providing the missing documents ,your application is considered as being in time application (it is just like postal application where most of the applicants get their visas after the expiry date of previous visa). If you still have that letter you can enclose that with your ILR application.
Information or Advice provided by me is general in nature and based on my own limited expertise hence shouldn't be used as a substitute for professional advice where necessary.

rommy

Post by rommy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:03 am

Graceofgod wrote:
rommy wrote:I applied for extension of my student visa on 28-12-2007 in person in Croydon. My visa was expiring on 31-12-07. I was missing one document and

As they accepted your form and asked you to submit document on the later date you do not have any gap. You do not need to worry. If you still have that letter you can enclose that with your application.
Thanks a lot for coming back to me. I do still have the letter with me and it is quiet confusing. I am writing down the exact word from the letter below. The first paragraph say:
"We are returning the application form and documents received from you". then the 3rd paragraph says"Your application for limited leave to remain in the united kingdom which was presented in person at the Public enquiry office on 28.12.07 does not comply with the above mentioned requirements............"

So that seems like my application was invalidated. But then you read the last paragraph it says this word to word:

"We are therefore returing your application to you. In order to ensure that your application proceedds, you must return the application to the public enquiry office in a manner that complies with these requirements within 28 days of the date on which you received this letter. if you do not return your application within 28 days in a manner that complies with all the above mentioned requirements,the application will be invalidated and the fee (if any) will be refunded. In that event, if you still wish to apply for leave to remain in the united kingdom, you will have to make a new application"

What do you think about above? one again thank you for your help

Graceofgod

Post by Graceofgod » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:11 am

rommy wrote:
Graceofgod wrote:

As they accepted your form and asked you to submit document on the later date you do not have any gap. You do not need to worry. If you still have that letter you can enclose that with your application.
Thanks a lot for coming back to me. I do still have the letter with me and it is quiet confusing. I am writing down the exact word from the letter below. The first paragraph say:
"We are returning the application form and documents received from you". then the 3rd paragraph says"Your application for limited leave to remain in the united kingdom which was presented in person at the Public enquiry office on 28.12.07 does not comply with the above mentioned requirements............"

So that seems like my application was invalidated. But then you read the last paragraph it says this word to word:

"We are therefore returing your application to you. In order to ensure that your application proceedds, you must return the application to the public enquiry office in a manner that complies with these requirements within 28 days of the date on which you received this letter. if you do not return your application within 28 days in a manner that complies with all the above mentioned requirements,the application will be invalidated and the fee (if any) will be refunded. In that event, if you still wish to apply for leave to remain in the united kingdom, you will have to make a new application"

as per my understanding , HO gave you the time frame to comply with which you did so there should not be a problem.
Also it can be argued that why HO took the payment if the application was not valid or was going to be invalidated.
Information or Advice provided by me is general in nature and based on my own limited expertise hence shouldn't be used as a substitute for professional advice where necessary.

rommy

Post by rommy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:17 am

Graceofgod wrote:
rommy wrote:
Graceofgod wrote:

as per my understanding , HO gave you the time frame to comply with which you did so there should not be a problem.
Also it can be argued that why HO took the payment if the application was not valid or was going to be invalidated.
That's what I believe as well as they did not refund my fee and clearly stated in the letter that my application will be invalidated if I do not comply in next 28 days.
My lawyer have received my SAR file and it seems it does not have record on it of me going back to Croydon on 12/01/08 which I find very surprising. Do you think writing a cover letter and attaching this letter from HO will assist in rectifying this?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:39 am

vinny wrote:Note that between 1st August 2003 and 29 February 2008, they were supposed to request extra details and give you 28 days to respond before declaring an application as invalid.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

rommy

Post by rommy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:41 am

vinny wrote:
vinny wrote:Note that between 1st August 2003 and 29 February 2008, they were supposed to request extra details and give you 28 days to respond before declaring an application as invalid.
Thanks Vinny. So above should go in my favour right?

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:02 am

Yes.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.