ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New citizenship form UKF

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nlworth
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Re: UKF Wait Times

Post by nlworth » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:07 pm

Beth4025 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:56 am
Hello! My form UKF was signed for on the 15th of June and I still haven't had any confirmation of letter saying my application has been received? anyone else have to wait this long?
Have you had any communication yet?

Giacomo378
Newly Registered
Italy

Re: New citizenship form UKF

Post by Giacomo378 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:42 am

@alanwar Do you think I have enough supporting documentation?

I've got my father's registration certificate, his last passport and my uk birth certificate.

I actually haven't got a clue on how to get my father's birth certificate as he was born in South Africa, I fear it would be almost impossible for me to get it.....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:56 am

Giacomo378 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:42 am
@alanwar Do you think I have enough supporting documentation?

I've got my father's registration certificate, his last passport and my uk birth certificate.

I actually haven't got a clue on how to get my father's birth certificate as he was born in South Africa, I fear it would be almost impossible for me to get it.....
Through the SA Department of Home Affairs. If you are in the UK, you apply at the consular Home Affairs department in Whitehall for the birth cert but you need his full name, DOB and SA Identity number to do this. If you are in Italy, the Embassy likely also has a Consular Home Affairs department. Unabridged Birth Cert or vault copy can take up to 6 months or more to get when applying from overseas.

Did your parents ever marry even after your birth or not?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Giacomo378
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Giacomo378 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:37 pm

I don't know what DOB and SA Identity number are (my father left SA in the late fifties). I live in Italy, and no they didn't get married unfortunatley.

Is it sctictly necessary to have his birth certificate? I mean I've got plenty of documentation, that is his registration certificate and his last passport (along with 3 or four old passports), it can't be doubted that he was a British citizen. Guess I'll just have to try without it, the appointment is already booked and paid.

Any idea on how to fill the "Address of tax office or tax office reference" for someone living abroad?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 pm

Giacomo378 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:37 pm
I don't know what DOB and SA Identity number are (my father left SA in the late fifties). I live in Italy, and no they didn't get married unfortunatley.

Is it sctictly necessary to have his birth certificate? I mean I've got plenty of documentation, that is his registration certificate and his last passport (along with 3 or four old passports), it can't be doubted that he was a British citizen. Guess I'll just have to try without it, the appointment is already booked and paid.

Any idea on how to fill the "Address of tax office or tax office reference" for someone living abroad?
DOB = date of birth

South African identity number is his own uniquie number issued at birth once birth is registered with the South African authorities. If he has a South African ID book, it will have his ID number in too.

Tax office/number jot relevant if not living in the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:49 pm

Giacomo378 wrote:

yes its a requirement so you need to include it , i am actually very surprised you are questioning how the Home Office chooses to accept applications? its their prerogative to need those particular documents
you will need to provide Fathers Birth certificate + registration certificate
a i allowed to recommend a company in SA to assist with this?

from UKF guide notes

Send the following documents:
 Your passport
 Your full birth certificate and either:
 Your father’s full birth certificate
 His certificate of naturalisation or registration as a British citizen or as a
citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies (or, before 1 January 1949, as
a British subject)
 Papers showing his legal adoption
 His expired citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies passport
 Evidence that he was settled in the UK at the time of your birth, if you were
born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983.

You can contact xxxxxxx in South Africa and she can apply on your behalf ( you can give her power of attorney) and courier back to you , you will need to provide some sort of details for your father that will enable her to look for his Birth certificate
Weblink removed by moderator

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:55 pm

KasMac wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:49 pm
Giacomo378 wrote:

yes its a requirement so you need to include it , i am actually very surprised you are questioning how the Home Office chooses to accept applications? its their prerogative to need those particular documents

from UKF guide notes

 Your passport
 His certificate of naturalisation or registration as a British citizen or as a
a British subject)

You can contact xxxx in South Africa and she can apply on your behalf ( you can give her power of attorney) and courier back to you , you will need to provide some sort of details for your father that will enable her to look for his Birth certificate
Web link removed by moderator
No recommendations please.

Your highlighted bit does say EITHER the birth cert or reg cert etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:03 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:55 pm
KasMac wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:49 pm
Giacomo378 wrote:

from UKF guide notes

 Your passport
a British subject)

You can contact xxxx in South Africa and she can apply on your behalf ( you can give her power of attorney) and courier back to you , you will need to provide some sort of details for your father that will enable her to look for his Birth certificate
Web link removed by moderator
No recommendations please.

Your highlighted bit does say EITHER the birth cert or reg cert etc.

Thanks

alanwar
Newly Registered
Christmas Island

Post by alanwar » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:12 pm

@Giacomo378, I think you do have enough documentation as you seem to have 2 of the items on the list (passport and registration certificate). However my opinion is not official at all as my only expertise is reading the guide.

In any case a quick goggle shows this link to a SA government website that may help get your father's birth certificate. http://www.home-affairs.gov.za/index.ph ... tificates1

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:16 pm

alanwar wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:12 pm
@Giacomo378, I think you do have enough documentation as you seem to have 2 of the items on the list (passport and registration certificate). However my opinion is not official at all as my only expertise is reading the guide.

In any case a quick goggle shows this link to a SA government website that may help get your father's birth certificate. http://www.home-affairs.gov.za/index.ph ... tificates1
Without the SA ID number, it is unlikely he will get one.

They also take many months to find and send them as the records keeping is shocking. I waited 8 months for certs when I was in SA with some not older than 2 years since the event, it takes substantially longer applying from abroad.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 am

nlworth wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:07 pm
@Beth4025 Mine was signed for on the 25th and I still have no email/letter or fee deduction, they do say that part can take between 2 - 4 weeks in busy periods so I'll keep waiting until the 4 weeks is up before I get really worried.
Have you heard anything else yet?

Im just nervous as I am in the UK on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa and have now sent the Home Office my passport, birth certificate and BRP so am basically left here with no identification until this is processed!
have you kept digital copies of your documents? i always find helpful keeping a copy of all important docs on my PC (Passport scans ,Birth certificates etc)

it has taken them exactly 14 days to acknowledge my sons application so fingers crossed you will get yours soon

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:54 am

alanwar wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:26 pm
Hello all, first off, thank you all (especially CR001 and KasMac) for the advice and information in this forum and also to Antsmall for fighting to change the law that allows us to register. I have a few general questions about filling out the UKF form and would appreciate any advice or guidance. My father was born in Northern Ireland, UK in 1936 and I was born in USA in 1965.

What documents pertaining to my father do I need to send ? I do not have his passport and no chance to get it since he has been dead for many years. All I have is his birth certificate that clearly shows he was born in the UK in 1936. Should I send his death certificate ?

I read in an earlier post by keji that someone was told that UKF was not the correct option as that person's parents' surnames were the same on their birth certificate and were thus presumed to be married. I am in a similar situation where my mother did not marry my father but did legally change her surname to my father's and so on my birth certificate it shows both parents with the same surname. If I write a note explaining this, will this be sufficient ? Will I need to find a legal document showing my mother's name change ?

In the guide, there is a section named "The requirements you have to meet and the citizenship you will acquire if your application is successful" and it lists 4 requirements, the fourth being "the Secretary of State is satisfied that you are of good character". Below it says "You can meet the fourth requirement above if". Does this mean that I will not need to prove good character since I would meet "You never acquired British subject or CUKC status, but would have automatically done so had your parents been married at the time of your birth (Section 4I of the British Nationality Act 1981)." as my father was born in the UK and I was born before 1983 ? This is very confusing to me.

Do I need to fill in grandparents' information (1.24 - 1.41) if my father was born in the UK and I have his birth certificate showing this ? All I know about them are their names.

Thank you again. Once I start my UKF journey I will be sure to post my experiences.
Yes include documents showing that your mother changed her surname and you can just include covering letter that she never married your Dad, include his Birth certificate , would it be possible to obtain a letter from your local registrar office that can confirm that your Mom has "unmarried " status which would help . These applications are processed at the discretion of Home Secretary if you have a criminal record ( and you have to declare it in the form) then they will decide if they want to award your citizenship to you , the 3 main criteria for UKF registrations are:
  • Born before 2006
  • Parents not married at the time of your birth
  • British born/registered/naturalised Father - naturalisation or registration should have taken place before your birth

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:34 am

KasMac wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:54 am
These applications are processed at the discretion of Home Secretary if you have a criminal record ( and you have to declare it in the form) then they will decide if they want to award your citizenship to you , the 3 main criteria for UKF registrations are:
There is no discretion in the matter. Section 4F grants an entitlement to be registered, while Section 41A amended in the Immigration Act 2014 prohibits such registration if a person is not of good character. This prohibition on Section 4F registration of people not of good character was found to be in breach of the European Convention of Human Rights in Johnson, where a convicted drug-dealing homicide was found to be entitled to register.

nlworth
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by nlworth » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:46 am

KasMac wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 am
nlworth wrote:
@Beth4025 Mine was signed for on the 25th and I still have no email/letter or fee deduction, they do say that part can take between 2 - 4 weeks in busy periods so I'll keep waiting until the 4 weeks is up before I get really worried.

Im just nervous as I am in the UK on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa and have now sent the Home Office my passport, birth certificate and BRP so am basically left here with no identification until this is processed!
have you kept digital copies of your documents? i always find helpful keeping a copy of all important docs on my PC (Passport scans ,Birth certificates etc)

it has taken them exactly 14 days to acknowledge my sons application so fingers crossed you will get yours soon
I sure have, but still means I cannot leave Scotland to travel at all until I get my passport back. That makes me nervous now as it has been nearly 3 weeks and I still have not heard anything at all!
I might ring the home office next week, the longer I wait the more nervous I get. I suppose nothings been stolen in the post as my credit card details haven't been used 8)

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Richard W wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:34 am
KasMac wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:54 am
These applications are processed at the discretion of Home Secretary if you have a criminal record ( and you have to declare it in the form) then they will decide if they want to award your citizenship to you , the 3 main criteria for UKF registrations are:
There is no discretion in the matter. Section 4F grants an entitlement to be registered, while Section 41A amended in the Immigration Act 2014 prohibits such registration if a person is not of good character. This prohibition on Section 4F registration of people not of good character was found to be in breach of the European Convention of Human Rights in Johnson, where a convicted drug-dealing homicide was found to be entitled to register.
thank you , back to research and more reading i guess :)

nlworth
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by nlworth » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:04 am

KasMac wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 am
nlworth wrote:

Hi again,

Just updating that the processing fee was deducted from my account today!
My timeline so far is
June 23rd Sent application
June 25th Application signed for
July 13th Fee deducted from my account

Will keep updating as I progress.

Giacomo378
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Giacomo378 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:45 pm

@CR001, @alanwar thank you very much for your replies, they helped a lot! Guess I'll just leave the "tax office" part blank.

Does also the employment part matter only if you reside in the UK? As I mentioned in one of my previous posts I'm not sure in which category I would fall, whether employed or self employed, since those terms have a quite different meaning in Italian law...

nlworth
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by nlworth » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Giacomo378 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:45 pm
@CR001, @alanwar thank you very much for your replies, they helped a lot! Guess I'll just leave the "tax office" part blank.

Does also the employment part matter only if you reside in the UK? As I mentioned in one of my previous posts I'm not sure in which category I would fall, whether employed or self employed, since those terms have a quite different meaning in Italian law...
Yeah leave the tax office part blank or maybe just put the name and main address of your countries tax office with your tax number? If they want more they'll ask 😁 for example in New Zealand the Ird (inland revenue) is the countries tax office and everyone who pays tax has an ird number so I just put in those details.
And employed means you work for a company or someone else and they pay you while self employed means you work for yourself, so have your own business and pay yourself. Hopefully that helps

erobers23
Newly Registered
Malawi

Post by erobers23 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:08 am

hi,
i recently sent my application on 30 may to the home office , and received an email confirming that they have received the application on 12 June. But i have not heard from them ever since! according to the guide they said they would respond within 2-4 week. what should i do ?

nlworth
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by nlworth » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:33 pm

erobers23 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:08 am
hi,
i recently sent my application on 30 may to the home office , and received an email confirming that they have received the application on 12 June. But i have not heard from them ever since! according to the guide they said they would respond within 2-4 week. what should i do ?
Hi,
The 2-4 weeks is the timeframe you get to hear from them regading recieving your application. From here you won't hear from them again unless they need more information ntil the fully process your application and send you details to get your biometrics done then approve your application which can take up to 6 months.

hope this helps

erobers23
Newly Registered
Malawi

Post by erobers23 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:46 pm

nlworth wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:33 pm
erobers23 wrote:
hi,
Hi,
The 2-4 weeks is the timeframe you get to hear from them regading recieving your application. From here you won't hear from them again unless they need more information ntil the fully process your application and send you details to get your biometrics done then approve your application which can take up to 6 months.

hope this helps
thank you for the reply
i actually received my bio metric enrolment letter toady!

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:31 am

nlworth wrote:
erobers23 wrote:
hi,
Hi,

hope this helps

you should have received a letter to submit biometrics as part of the application ( my sons letter never arrived so we emailed home office and it took a week to get a reply , they emailed us another biometrics letter when i have explained we never received the first one)

KasMac
South Africa

Post by KasMac » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:32 am

erobers23 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:46 pm
nlworth wrote:
erobers23 wrote:
hi,
Hi,

hope this helps
thank you for the reply
i actually received my bio metric enrolment letter toady!
just read your update , thats great news

Giacomo378
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Giacomo378 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:28 pm

@nlworth Thank you very much for your reply :D
So let me see if I have it right. I'm a lawyer working at a lawfirm, to which I issue an invoice each month for the same amount, and that's how I get paid. I'd be considered employed then? Cause in Italy lawyers are always considered self-employed :lol:

nlworth
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by nlworth » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:18 am

Giacomo378 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:28 pm
@nlworth Thank you very much for your reply :D
So let me see if I have it right. I'm a lawyer working at a lawfirm, to which I issue an invoice each month for the same amount, and that's how I get paid. I'd be considered employed then? Cause in Italy lawyers are always considered self-employed :lol:
Hi again,

I would consider you as being self-employed as you invoice the firm for payment, if you filled out a timesheet under the company and then they paid you I would say that is employed. That's just my opinion though based on how it works in my country, the best way to find out would be to check with the home office just to be safe. I'm sure it wouldn't matter though as I think for them processing citizenship applications they just want to make sure you aren't unemployed. =D