ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

RoA CoE for a British citizen child born in India

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vinny

Re: RoA CoE for a British citizen child born in India

Post by vinny » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:46 pm

I think it's sufficient to show that child is British.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Bobthemoggie

Post by Bobthemoggie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:51 am

Hi Guys,

One query regarding Birth Certificate.
We were living in UK immediately before the child birth
Mother travelled to India few months before child-birth & mother-child currently staying in India, after birth.
Father was present in UK at the time of birth.

But on locally issues Birth certificate, local issuing authorities have written our UK address in both Permanent address & the Address of parents at the time of Birth. Will this be a problem for RoA-CoE application?
They have told us that - it won't be possible to put separate addresses for Father & Mother for the field - 'Address of parents at the time of birth'
Aanybody got any experience about Indian Municipality birth certificates in terms of address?
Shall we try to get it rectified?
Shall we get a UK birth certificate?

Kindly advise
Cheers

dude_123

Post by dude_123 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:46 pm

last week my child's CoE application was submitted at Hyderabad VFS center. they only accepted the copies and returned all originals (except original Indian passport).

today i have received an email that my child's online application has been received in Sheffield, UK. an application is currently being prepared for consideration by an Entry Clearance Officer.[/u]

i am not sure if this is the part of new process. has anybody also applied recently and have had similar response?

dude_123

Post by dude_123 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:01 am

with reference to my previous post ,my kid visa application for COE has been sent to UK. does that mean it will take longer time to process or is that usual way of processing?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:05 pm

dude_123 wrote:with reference to my previous post ,my kid visa application for COE has been sent to UK. does that mean it will take longer time to process or is that usual way of processing?
It is the usual way of processing.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dude_123

Post by dude_123 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:35 pm

thanks my kids visa granted

Zun
Newly Registered

Post by Zun » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:46 am

Dear members
Hope you are well - if both parents are naturalized BC and child born in india - can the child apply for Indian passport ? What are the rules for this as the child is already british and obtaining a passport is a very long process.

To apply for ROA on Indian passport.

Thank you

Zun

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:22 am

A British child, without a British passport, may apply for a CoE-RoA to be placed in a foreign passport. However, if neither parents are Indians, then is the child still eligible for an Indian passport?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Zun
Newly Registered

Post by Zun » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:12 am

Thank you Vinny.

Makes sense would need to register the child as Indian citizen first - apply for a passport -and the ROA.

Regards

Zun

vapudi

Post by vapudi » Sat May 20, 2017 9:12 am

Friends,
First thing, Thanks for sharing your experiences here on this thread which is very helpful.

Can you suggest which one is better for my child born in India (father British via Naturalization, have been living in India for nearly 2 years until now) and mother Indian, no visa, not traveled to UK before.

1. Should we apply for "Right of Abode CoE" or "UK Passport"? Applying UK passport seem to be taking longer. Can you please suggest?

Once a child gets ROA CoE on Indian Passport, I guess the child can apply for British Citizenship and Passport once he/she is in the UK. Please correct if I am wrong.

Thanks for your time.

vapudi

Post by vapudi » Sat May 20, 2017 9:39 am

dude_123 wrote:thanks my kids visa granted
Hi,
Any reason you choose to apply for RoA CoE instead of UK Passport?

Thanks.

vapudi

Re: Right to Abode for Baby born in India for British citize

Post by vapudi » Mon May 22, 2017 9:42 am

naveenk wrote:Hi Shriant124,

My son got Visa stamped CoE in his passport.
Thanks a lot to Hima, Vinny, Shrikant for guiding me with required info.

Applied on 4th Feb 2016
Got email asking for baby photos, hospital records on 24 th Feb, 2016
Send the photos, docs.
Got passport with visa stamping on 4th March, 2016.

Total 1 month but tense momemnts but thanks to this forum.

I hope other ROA applicants also benefit from this forum in future.
Hi Naveenk, Shriant124,
hope you are doing well.

I see that RoA CoE is being granted within a month time whereas UK Passport application from India takes lot more time.

Was it the reason you chose RoA CoE instead of applying for UK Passport from India for Kid?

Once RoA CoE is granted, can we apply for UK passport directly for the Kid? Please advise. Thanks.

NAVEENSRI
Newly Registered

Post by NAVEENSRI » Tue May 23, 2017 7:54 pm

Hello there

I am new to this forum. I am a naturalised UK citizen, my wife has an Indian passport with ILR visa. we had twin babies in india after my naturalisation to UK citizenship. I applied for a UK passport nearly 6 months ago. It is still processing.

Does anyone if I can apply for an Indian passport for my children and apply for Certificate of Entitlement- how long does it take? I just want to bring my babies to the UK asap- can some one give guidance on this please??

Anxiously waiting for replies and responses from fellow members

Thanks
Naveen

NAVEENSRI
Newly Registered

Post by NAVEENSRI » Tue May 23, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi Vapudi

I am in the same situation- can u please guide through the process please?

Did u had apply via VFS?

Any weblink on how to apply?

Thanks
Naveen
vapudi wrote:
naveenk wrote:Hi Shriant124,

My son got Visa stamped CoE in his passport.
Thanks a lot to Hima, Vinny, Shrikant for guiding me with required info.

Applied on 4th Feb 2016
Got email asking for baby photos, hospital records on 24 th Feb, 2016
Send the photos, docs.
Got passport with visa stamping on 4th March, 2016.

Total 1 month but tense momemnts but thanks to this forum.

I hope other ROA applicants also benefit from this forum in future.
Hi Naveenk, Shriant124,
hope you are doing well.

I see that RoA CoE is being granted within a month time whereas UK Passport application from India takes lot more time.

Was it the reason you chose RoA CoE instead of applying for UK Passport from India for Kid?

Once RoA CoE is granted, can we apply for UK passport directly for the Kid? Please advise. Thanks.

vapudi

Post by vapudi » Wed May 24, 2017 9:14 am

NAVEENSRI wrote:Hi Vapudi

I am in the same situation- can u please guide through the process please?

Did u had apply via VFS?

Any weblink on how to apply?

Thanks
Naveen
Hi,
I have not applied yet. Will do it soon. To my knowledge, below is the process to follow. Still you better study all guidance documents and all posts in this thread from beginning.

I guess your children need Indian passport first if you are applying for RoA CoE.

You can apply for Certificate of Entitlement here, pay fee online.
https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode
https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/apply ... ntitlement

Then book an appointment online at VFS office near to your place. Then they will guide you on what documents to submit, whats the process etc.
https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/India/how_to_apply.html
http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/India/applicationcentre.html

Hope it helps. All the best.

Regards.

krishnam
Newly Registered

Post by krishnam » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi Hima02/Harry,
I am also in the same situation. I am a British Citizen through naturalisation and my wife got ILR.

From your post I can see that you have applied for ROA but not to COE. I heard from another thread that we only can apply for COE. Please see below. Could you please confirm which one to apply and what is the exact different between ROA and COE.

"""""""""This is what other thread mentioned
Right of abode is the unconditional right to live in the UK. It flows from the citizenship. The only people who have it are either British citizens or were commonwealth citizens with a British-born parent or grandparent at midnight on 1st January 1983. All British citizens have right of abode. One cannot apply for RoA: one may merely ask for acknowledgement that one has it.

The Certificate of Entitlement is something inserted in a passport (other than a British citizen passport) to record that the holder has RoA.
""""""""""

Regards
Krishna

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:27 pm

One cannot apply for an RoA (Certificate of Entitlement). One either has it (mostly by being a British citizen) or one does not.

The application is for a CoE-RoA. Some people use just half that acronym, either CoE or RoA to refer to the whole application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

krishnam
Newly Registered

Post by krishnam » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:00 am

Great Many thanks Simon.

The reason I was considering COE application is - I already applied for a BRITISH PASSPORT for my kid on 20 Feb but it got stuck at overseas checks since 3 months and no updates since then yet.

Is it OK to apply for COE visa by applying to Indian passport while BRITISH PASSPORT application is under review?

Regards
Krishna

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:42 am

krishnam wrote:The reason I was considering COE application is - I already applied for a BRITISH PASSPORT for my kid on 20 Feb but it got stuck at overseas checks since 3 months and no updates since then yet.

Is it OK to apply for COE visa by applying to Indian passport while BRITISH PASSPORT application is under review?
That question is being answered in this thread.

Overseas passport applications can take between six months and a year. It may have been better had you applied directly for a CoE-RoA and then applied for a British passport when the child is back in the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

krishnam
Newly Registered

Post by krishnam » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:40 am

secret.simon wrote:
krishnam wrote: Overseas passport applications can take between six months and a year. It may have been better had you applied directly for a CoE-RoA and then applied for a British passport when the child is back in the UK.
Thanks Simon. I just spoke UK visa team about COE-ROA visa and they are suggesting me to apply for family visa. I am confused. They were saying COE is for to work in UK. is that true?

Could you please let me know how to apply for COE-ROA?
Is this the link to refer right - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... t-of-abode?
But my kid is in India right now not in UK. The above link is for people living in UK.

Which one I should be using for my kid who is living in India?

Could you please suggest me?

Regards
Krishna

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:44 am

krishnam wrote:I just spoke UK visa team about COE-ROA visa and they are suggesting me to apply for family visa.
Did you explain to the "UK Visa team" (not sure what that is or who they are) that as a British citizen, your child is not eligible to apply for a family visa? Keep your queries in the other thread, so that all comments on your case are in the same place.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:46 am

krishnam wrote:
secret.simon wrote:
krishnam wrote: Overseas passport applications can take between six months and a year. It may have been better had you applied directly for a CoE-RoA and then applied for a British passport when the child is back in the UK.
Thanks Simon. I just spoke UK visa team about COE-ROA visa and they are suggesting me to apply for family visa. I am confused. They were saying COE is for to work in UK. is that true?

Could you please let me know how to apply for COE-ROA?
Is this the link to refer right - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... t-of-abode?
But my kid is in India right now not in UK. The above link is for people living in UK.

Which one I should be using for my kid who is living in India?

Could you please suggest me?
Instead of asking your questions in this topic, please continue in your own one that secret.simon has linked which you started. It is unfair to other members when you have two identical sets of questions running in two topics.
Regards
Krishna
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.