ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:35 am

lifeRockss1 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:32 am
Got my certificate today, 2 days after online ceremony.

can someone please direct me to the passport foram to seek guidence? I don't seem to find it on the main page.
There isn't a general one. Start your own topic with your questions, for what is a very simple application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

lifeRockss1

Post by lifeRockss1 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:41 am

thanks CR001.

yeah looks straight forward now that I checked the page on gov.uk

naruto
Malta

Post by naruto » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:20 pm

mrmo93 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:48 am
naruto wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:56 pm
Pimsalma wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:51 pm
naruto wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:35 pm

Typical Home Office the worst place on the planet to deal with!!!

What a joke!!!!! They’re so unorganised!!! I hope you get it ASAP.

However you should defo go further and keep chasing them.
Home Office peoples are not perfect like everyone of us on this planet, but you have zero right to talk about them like that. Show some respect.

First of all that’s my opinion about the home office as an organisation and there’s something called “freedom of speech’’ furthermore I did not disrespect any individual or anyone I’m referring to the home office as an organisation. They can do better then that!!!

6 months waiting for an invitation plus the application process time!!! And how many other frustrated people are going through stress and anxiety because all they asked for is normal human right is getting a status and carry on with their life....

IF MY COMMENT OFFENDED YOU OR ANYONE ELSE IN ANY WAY PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES.

Peace and tranquility 🤞
Hi Man, Im totally with you!, i agree it is pretty disorganized and it can be improved. a lot like hacing a timeline of the process in the UKVAS website for example. In this crisis they can easily create an online website where you just upload an "oath" or alliegence video and you get the ceremony sent. Instead of this mess.

Yes mate 💯 % .... let’s be optimistic and hope things will improve soon to better days fingers crossed 🤞
LaDolceVita

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:37 pm

Musti wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:16 am
Glad to know. I think they might change the private (same date and time) to virtual (if need be) closer to our dates like they did for @Nature11. I suppose we have the same ceremony date mid Jan!! :lol:

PS: TBH I would prefer in person so I can collect my certificate myself rather waiting in the post but it will be £125 more :shock:
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Musti
Tunisia

Post by Musti » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:02 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:37 pm
Musti wrote:
Glad to know. I think they might change the private (same date and time) to virtual (if need be) closer to our dates like they did for @Nature11. I suppose we have the same ceremony date mid Jan!! :lol:

PS: TBH I would prefer in person so I can collect my certificate myself rather waiting in the post but it will be £125 more :shock:
£125 on top of the original £250? With all honesty, I believe they are over charging people.£250 for an appointment that is over 2 weeks? Also when you request a virtual ceremony they state that it is for exceptional cases yet a few people said theyhad a virtual one.
I think I'd rather pay the extra money to get the certificate the same day, and they use the fact that people can't wait to get it over with so they charge then ridiculous amounts of money.
But what is the 125 for?

Bazaar

Post by Bazaar » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:31 pm

1tarck81 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:51 pm
Hi all, just to update you guys, I received an email that my application was successful on 03 June 2020 but I'm still waiting for my invitation letter. I emailed Southampton City Council many times but they wrote back that they have not received my paperwork from the Home Office so far so they can't book me in for a ceremony.

In Nov/Dec. I blasted nationalitysupportteamfmt@homeoffice.gov.uk with quite a few emails and after the 5th attempt maybe a week ago this email came back to me:

"Thank you for your e-mail. It appears that a system error caused a delay. This has since been rectified and you will be contacted in due.  Please do not contact your Local Authority until you have received your invitation as they will not have your certificate to conduct your ceremony before this. Please accept our apology`s for any delay. Thank you MT Admin Support Nationality Group"

then I asked them to send an email invitation so I can book a ceremony asap but their reply within 24 hours was the following:  "The invitation will be sent in as soon as possible. Obviously, under the current circumstances -COVID-19, the process is taking longer than usual to complete."

In the meantime, I filled out the complaint form I received this today.

"Thank you for your email of 26 November 2020 where you have raised a complaint
about the delay in issuing your British citizenship ceremony invitation letter.
I acknowledge that you have had a lengthy wait and I am sorry for any frustration,
but I am unable to fully uphold your complaint as I should explain that the COVID-19
pandemic has caused severe disruption to our services; and this has inevitably led to
delays which have been down to circumstances beyond our control.
I am aware from our records that you received an email from the Home Office on 22
December (yesterday) confirming that your letter would be sent as soon as possible.
I appreciate that you may be disappointed, but I hope that my response has helped
to explain the position. I believe I have addressed all the points you have raised. However, if you feel that there are specific aspects that have not been addressed you can request a review of our response within one month of the date on this letter by writing to us at: complaintsreview@homeoffice.gov.uk.  Please ensure that you provide us with specific details setting out why you believe review is required. This will enable us to provide you with a full response."

Shall I go further and ask for a review or wait patiently? 
this is really pathetic and unfair. Some people get an invitation soon after, while others wait ages for no reason and you can't even ask them what's going on. the answer they give you is lamentable .They don't care really

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:33 pm

Musti wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:02 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Musti wrote:

£125 on top of the original £250? With all honesty, I believe they are over charging people.£250 for an appointment that is over 2 weeks? Also when you request a virtual ceremony they state that it is for exceptional cases yet a few people said theyhad a virtual one.
I think I'd rather pay the extra money to get the certificate the same day, and they use the fact that people can't wait to get it over with so they charge then ridiculous amounts of money.
But what is the 125 for?
Hounslow never used to carry virtual ceremonies. It is first time reported by @Nature11 and that too after London went in Tier 4 lockdown.

They are charging in person private £250 (I know it is too much - hounslow is charging way more than majority of other councils).

For virtual they charged @Nature 11 - £125 (@Nature11 was booked for private in person for £250 on 23rd Dec but Hounslow council called changed last minute (on 21st Dec) to virtual (same date and time on 23rd Dec) and charged £125 instead. I am not sure what exceptional circumstances were involved OR it was due to Tier 4.

We will only know closer to mid Jan if our in person ceremony is changed to virtual in a similar manner or not. For in person we will pay £250 otherwise (£125 more than virtual).
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Musti
Tunisia

Post by Musti » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:01 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:33 pm
Musti wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:02 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Musti wrote:

But what is the 125 for?
Hounslow never used to carry virtual ceremonies. It is first time reported by @Nature11 and that too after London went in Tier 4 lockdown.

They are charging in person private £250 (I know it is too much - hounslow is charging way more than majority of other councils).

For virtual they charged @Nature 11 - £125 (@Nature11 was booked for private in person for £250 on 23rd Dec but Hounslow council called changed last minute (on 21st Dec) to virtual (same date and time on 23rd Dec) and charged £125 instead. I am not sure what exceptional circumstances were involved OR it was due to Tier 4.

We will only know closer to mid Jan if our in person ceremony is changed to virtual in a similar manner or not. For in person we will pay £250 otherwise (£125 more than virtual).
So if you attend in person, you'll receive the certificate the very same day on the spot?
Yes, their price are ridiculous and I assume they changed it because you could no longer accommodate it physically. The same thing might happen with us, we'll just have to wait and see. I thought there was an extra £125 charge to get the certificate on the day

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:02 pm

Musti wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:01 pm
So if you attend in person, you'll receive the certificate the very same day on the spot?
Yes.

Nature11
Mood:

Post by Nature11 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:21 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:37 pm
Nature11 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:07 pm
Thank you for your reply. Since the council is closed from tomorrow 24th onwards till 4th Jan, I guess, any communication regarding virtual ceremony (if any) will be done later on before my scheduled in person appointment mid Jan. Will update my experience in due course.
Hi CULLINAN,

I received my Certificate this morning.(came in next day recorded delivery before 1pm)

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:24 pm

Nature11 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:21 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Nature11 wrote:
Thank you for your reply. Since the council is closed from tomorrow 24th onwards till 4th Jan, I guess, any communication regarding virtual ceremony (if any) will be done later on before my scheduled in person appointment mid Jan. Will update my experience in due course.
Hi CULLINAN,

I received my Certificate this morning.(came in next day recorded delivery before 1pm)
Great news. That was quick. Could you please clarify if you requested virtual ceremony due to some exceptional circumstances or it was offered by the council?

Nature11
Mood:

Post by Nature11 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:28 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:24 pm
Nature11 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:21 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Nature11 wrote:
Hi CULLINAN,

Great news. That was quick. Could you please clarify if you requested virtual ceremony due to some exceptional circumstances or it was offered by the council?
Hi CULLINAN,

I did not request, it was offered by council.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:33 pm

Thank you @Nature11.

NinashK
Newly Registered

Post by NinashK » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:48 pm

bobvana wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:52 am
I got my acceptance letter on the 6th of October and an invitation letter from the Council (Maidstone) on the 14th on December letting me know that my ceremony is on the 21st of January, but I still haven't received an invitation from the HO.

Anyone who lives in KENT had this same situation?

Shouldn't be you receive the invitation from HO first then you call the council to book a slot?

You don't need to wait for the invitation letter. I'm from Maidstone Council too, emailed them to asked if I can come to the ceremony without home off invitation letter and they said yes. My ceremony is on the 21st too. But I received my home office invitation letter in the 20 Dec 2020. So I'm all set

Amyx67
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Amyx67 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:06 am

Hello, silent reader here. My timeline is that I was approved via email on October 26th and still waiting for my invitation later. However, my local council is Croydon but for my application I put lambeth Council knowingly. I’m just a bit skeptical if my certificate will actually be sent to Lambeth or Croydon. Are there any people who put a different council when applying and actually got their certificates posted there? Also, is there anyone from Lambeth Council who has recently had or booked a ceremony? What is the availability like? Thank you

naruto
Malta

Post by naruto » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:24 am

Amyx67 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:06 am
Hello, silent reader here. My timeline is that I was approved via email on October 26th and still waiting for my invitation later. However, my local council is Croydon but for my application I put lambeth Council knowingly. I’m just a bit skeptical if my certificate will actually be sent to Lambeth or Croydon. Are there any people who put a different council when applying and actually got their certificates posted there? Also, is there anyone from Lambeth Council who has recently had or booked a ceremony? What is the availability like? Thank you

It should arrive to your chosen council when you’ve submitted the online application.

I was also Approved on 23-10-2020 and still waiting for my invitation letter. Barnet council

All the best to everyone who’s still on the waiting game.
LaDolceVita

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:57 am

Bazaar wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:31 pm
1tarck81 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:51 pm
Hi all, just to update you guys, I received an email that my application was successful on 03 June 2020 but I'm still waiting for my invitation letter. I emailed Southampton City Council many times but they wrote back that they have not received my paperwork from the Home Office so far so they can't book me in for a ceremony.

In Nov/Dec. I blasted nationalitysupportteamfmt@homeoffice.gov.uk with quite a few emails and after the 5th attempt maybe a week ago this email came back to me:

"Thank you for your e-mail. It appears that a system error caused a delay. This has since been rectified and you will be contacted in due.  Please do not contact your Local Authority until you have received your invitation as they will not have your certificate to conduct your ceremony before this. Please accept our apology`s for any delay. Thank you MT Admin Support Nationality Group"

then I asked them to send an email invitation so I can book a ceremony asap but their reply within 24 hours was the following:  "The invitation will be sent in as soon as possible. Obviously, under the current circumstances -COVID-19, the process is taking longer than usual to complete."

In the meantime, I filled out the complaint form I received this today.

"Thank you for your email of 26 November 2020 where you have raised a complaint
about the delay in issuing your British citizenship ceremony invitation letter.
I acknowledge that you have had a lengthy wait and I am sorry for any frustration,
but I am unable to fully uphold your complaint as I should explain that the COVID-19
pandemic has caused severe disruption to our services; and this has inevitably led to
delays which have been down to circumstances beyond our control.
I am aware from our records that you received an email from the Home Office on 22
December (yesterday) confirming that your letter would be sent as soon as possible.
I appreciate that you may be disappointed, but I hope that my response has helped
to explain the position. I believe I have addressed all the points you have raised. However, if you feel that there are specific aspects that have not been addressed you can request a review of our response within one month of the date on this letter by writing to us at: complaintsreview@homeoffice.gov.uk.  Please ensure that you provide us with specific details setting out why you believe review is required. This will enable us to provide you with a full response."

Shall I go further and ask for a review or wait patiently? 
this is really pathetic and unfair. Some people get an invitation soon after, while others wait ages for no reason and you can't even ask them what's going on. the answer they give you is lamentable .They don't care really
This is ridiculous 😕 how can they do this to people
I feel really sorry for you . I don’t understand why
It takes so long just to print a document..

You should take this with your local MP . This should change . Either no ceremony at all or send it ASAP . If they take long time to make a decision I understand but not for printing a simple certificate
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:07 am

Hi guys,

Did you get any update anyone else get their ceremonies?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:42 pm

mrmo93 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:07 am
Hi guys,

I suppose everything will be very quiet till 4th Jan and normal operations will resume 11th Jan (festive season and holiday period).

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:46 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:42 pm
mrmo93 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:07 am
Hi guys,

I suppose everything will be very quiet till 4th Jan and normal operations will resume 11th Jan (festive season and holiday period).
OH FOR THE LOVE OF ******* :oops: :evil: for a document just a document. Sorry were all in the same boat but its getting ridiculous now. Been waiting for close to 3 months now.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:58 pm

'Tier 5': England faces possible new Covid restrictions, source says - The guardian :shock:

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:06 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:58 pm
'Tier 5': England faces possible new Covid restrictions, source says - The guardian :shock:
I think if more restrictions come in place AND IF schools and places of worship are closed also - this may impact ceremonies also... too early too say but likely...

Gcar10
Newly Registered
Mood:
Portugal

Post by Gcar10 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:40 pm

Hello lovely ppl,
Would anyone happen to know how long do I have to wait for my ceremony invitation letter after getting approved (Dec 2020 Approval) as the email doesn’t mention anything about the wait times for the citizenship letter.

Thanks.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:44 pm

Gcar10 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:40 pm
Hello lovely ppl,
Would anyone happen to know how long do I have to wait for my ceremony invitation letter after getting approved (Dec 2020 Approval) as the email doesn’t mention anything about the wait times for the citizenship letter.

Thanks.
1-3 months.

Gcar10
Newly Registered
Mood:
Portugal

Post by Gcar10 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:48 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:44 pm
Gcar10 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:40 pm
Hello lovely ppl,

Thanks.
1-3 months.
Thanks Cullinan. Also would you happen to know if the Home office have changed to send ceremony invitation letters via email or it’s still letter based through post.